• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Jackets

GeoffMiller

Dang, my 25 year old leather jacket seems to have shrunk in the closet over the winter. I stopped by a local Honda dealer to check out replacements. I tried on an XL Joe Rocket jacket and the darn thing was defective. Fit in the arms and shoulders but was about six inches shy of being able to be zipped up. Would someone point me toward a manufacturer that makes jackets for the , ahem, more 'mature' rider (as in it's time to take off the ol' feedbag). I rode up to Duluth last summer for the Aerostitch open house but didn't really like the feel of their stuff. I ride an airhead 'S' and would like something to kind of go with the sport bike feel. geoff Hey, you young guys quit laffin'. Your time is comin'!!:bliss

FANG gave this list on another thread.. scroll down the list to see the original

Tailor-made clothing

Langlitz Leathers
Vanson Leathers
Barbour Clothing
Bates Leathers
Gerbing heated riding clothing
Belstaff Riding Apparel
www.belstaff.com/usa

I recall seeing a display at a motorcycle show a couple of years ago by a company in Wisconsin that custom makes leathers. I cannot for the life of me recall their name or location. I remember seeing a nice pair of bibs with matching jacket. Anyone have any ideas? geoff

Geoff Miller said:
I recall seeing a display at a motorcycle show a couple of years ago by a company in Wisconsin that custom makes leathers.
Was it Stone Lake Leatherworks in Stone Lake, WI? Yes, they make bibs. Yes, they do custom.

Stone Lake Leatherworks

Hi Geoff,I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix for local rideswhen it is hot,not very packable so not practical for road trips...I really like it though.

I also have a First Gear Kilimanjaro I bought at the Montana Rally and I like it a lot too.It has a bit of a Euro look though,maybe not sporty enough for you.

Happy hunting!!

Custom/pre-sized leathers

Several years ago (OK, 14 ) my wife gave me a set of custom-fitted THURLOW leathers. They make custom and pre-fitted of many designs. The leather is deerskin, which is very temperature tolerant (even here in Flairida to 80 degrees) and extremely comfortable. I like the traditional (old) look so mine are choclate brown, but black of course is available!!

Do not have the website at my fingertips, but the products are superb!!!!

Thurlow Info

For anyone interested in the finest deerskin leathers, try Thurlow's:

www. thurlow.com or 858-279-9004

SRB

Geoff Miller said:
Dang, my 25 year old leather jacket seems to have shrunk in the closet over the winter. I stopped by a local Honda dealer to check out replacements. I tried on an XL Joe Rocket jacket and the darn thing was defective. Fit in the arms and shoulders but was about six inches shy of being able to be zipped up. Would someone point me toward a manufacturer that makes jackets for the , ahem, more 'mature' rider (as in it's time to take off the ol' feedbag). I rode up to Duluth last summer for the Aerostitch open house but didn't really like the feel of their stuff. I ride an airhead 'S' and would like something to kind of go with the sport bike feel. geoff Hey, you young guys quit laffin'. Your time is comin'!!:bliss

Funny how there are entire stores for "women's" sized clothing, but men are BIG and TALL. I think they should rename it "Men's" sizes. As if thin and normal people aren't women and men. I found that means big AND tall. Try being a rotund 5'8". It's tough to find stuff that fits.

I use Joe Rocket because I can get sizes to fit. Check their web site again. If you are bigger than me, I don't think you will find much outside of custom made.

Here is a picture of me, front right, and you can see it fit's without much room to spare.

potomac%20ride%20group%20shot.jpg

BTW this was from a ride on Saturday to the headwaters of the Potomac river. The others are Jeff, next to me, John behind me and Shane back left.

Jim:brow

Yep, we are a couple of good lookin' guys! I'll have to find a supplier with a better stocked inventory of Joe Rocket and try some on. I kind of like the idea of custom leathers but I don't know if the budget can handle it. It has been raining here daily for two weeks now. As soon as it lets off, I thought that I would head up to Stone Lake Wisconsin (less than 100 miles from me) and check out their stuff too. geoff

Geoff Miller said:
Yep, we are a couple of good lookin' guys! I'll have to find a supplier with a better stocked inventory of Joe Rocket and try some on. I kind of like the idea of custom leathers but I don't know if the budget can handle it. It has been raining here daily for two weeks now. As soon as it lets off, I thought that I would head up to Stone Lake Wisconsin (less than 100 miles from me) and check out their stuff too. geoff

LOL Hey Geoff,

If you do find anything that fits well, and is reasonably priced, let me know. I wouldn't mind a change of pace either.

Jim:brow

I have a couple

I bought an Aerostich Darien. At first, it was very stiff and uncomfortable. After around 2,000 miles and one washing, it's very comfortable and has plenty of room inside for some fleece. It's an XL (I'm 6'1" and 260# or so). So, if by "dont like the feel" you mean the stiffness, you might want to check one out.

However, it's too hot for Texas, so the other day I bought a Fieldshear Mach II. It's mesh and leather, the Mach I was just mesh. It's very cool, has some serious armor, and fits very well. It's a XXXL. I had looked at a lot of other jackets on the net, but there's no substitute for trying stuff on. I don't wear the same size in any two brands, it seems.

summer jacket

I use the Tourmaster GX Air and it's good for hot weather days. On Memorial Day it got over a 100 degrees (106 on the Hwy) so anything else will just about kill you.:brow

I got one of these for under 155.00 4 years ago. If I use the forearm vents, and keep the screen all the way down on the bike, It is comfortable when on the move at 80 degrees. I bought it to fit my chest, and it has adjustments for the "belly" but don't expect miracles.

The sleeves were too long, so I took it to a local tailor shop that sewed leather, and had them alter the sleeves to fit. It is a really great jacket now, I am happy with the protection and the fit.

Viper Jacket