• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

25 Years Of The K-Bike at Gillette!

gregfeeler

Dances With Sheep
All,
2008 marks the 25th anniversary of the introduction of the BMW K-Bike series. BMW Motorrad USA is recognizing this milestone with a special ÔÇ£K KoncoursÔÇØ at the BMW MOA International Rally in Gillette, WY. Shahram Shiva is coordinating the activities and has setup a website with more information at www.25yearsofthekbike.com. There is a link there to the 25th Anniversary article which will appear in the July issue of the Owners News.

This is going to be once-in-a-lifetime event for the K-Bike faithful. Those participating in the K Koncours will receive a goodie bag of special commemorative items. If you have a K-Bike you are proud of, this will be the year to bring it to enter into the Koncours. Please pass the word on other lists for the benefit of all K-Bike fans. Check out the web site for more details, however hereÔÇÖs the judging categories and general schedule:

K Koncours - Saturday, July 19, 2008

Categories:
1- All K 1100, K 100 and K 75 models
2- All K 1200 RS and 1st Gen K 1200 GT
3- K 1200 S, K 1200 R, K 1200 R Sport and the new K 1200 GT
4- All K 1200 LT
5- All K1
6- Best of Show

SEMINAR: History of the K Bikes - Saturday, July 19, 12:30PM

The K Koncours will be followed by a "History of the K Bikes" seminar at 12:30PM. For more information about this seminar, please refer to BMW MOA's 2008 Rally Guide.

Dang. Sounds good but I just made the decision to leave the bike at home this trip. Hubby will be retired and the trip is more than just the 'MOA rally. Originally we were going to take bike and car (hubby does not ride) but that's not very green and it's awfully complicated, considering that this trip is a car camping/hiking trip and not a motorcycle trip. Fliegenderziegelstein (the K75) will be disappointed.

109321151_z72zR-M.jpg

Dang. Sounds good but I just made the decision to leave the bike at home this trip. Hubby will be retired and the trip is more than just the 'MOA rally. Originally we were going to take bike and car (hubby does not ride) but that's not very green and it's awfully complicated, considering that this trip is a car camping/hiking trip and not a motorcycle trip. Fliegenderziegelstein (the K75) will be disappointed.

109321151_z72zR-M.jpg

Marilyn,
That bike is such a beauty! Too, too bad you won't have it in the Koncours!

Hey Greg,

So..... I guess you will be packing light and riding the K1?? :stick

It's been 4 years since I had a K.

tb

Hey Greg,

So..... I guess you will be packing light and riding the K1?? :stick

It's been 4 years since I had a K.

tb

That's the plan right now. I think I've figured how to make up for the lack of saddle bags. It will be good to see you there! :drink

I'll be there with my '92 K75S. Greg, you should bring yours so our K's could have a crib reunion. Remember the VIN's on ours are next to each other.

I'll be there with my '92 K75S. Greg, you should bring yours so our K's could have a crib reunion. Remember the VIN's on ours are next to each other.

Oh, now - there's a thought! That would also be a very cool thing. Maybe we could Photoshop some "crib" picture of the two of them. :laugh

Good story here:)

You guys actually have two K's with vins one number apart? Were they bought in different parts of the USA? This is rare indeed! I would like to see these two parked side by side:). I'm a one K1200LT, recent past owner and have passed it to my brother now and he rides it with smiles. 100000 on it now. I miss some of the K bike phenom, as it had one smooth engine and it got great fuel mileage, compared to my new R1200 engine. Please bring the K's with the vins so close:) Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear":usa

You guys actually have two K's with vins one number apart? Were they bought in different parts of the USA? This is rare indeed! I would like to see these two parked side by side:). I'm a one K1200LT, recent past owner and have passed it to my brother now and he rides it with smiles. 100000 on it now. I miss some of the K bike phenom, as it had one smooth engine and it got great fuel mileage, compared to my new R1200 engine. Please bring the K's with the vins so close:) Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear":usa

I don't know if we figured out where they were sold new, but the local (Boise, ID) friend I bought mine from got it from a guy in California. Don't remember if he was the original owner or not. It should be possible to check through my local dealer by VIN and to see which dealers got them.

Last edited:
I don't know if we figured out where they were sold new, but the local (Boise, ID) friend I bought mine from got it from a guy in California. Don't remember if he was the original owner or not. It should be possible to check through my local dealer by VIN and to see which dealers got them.

Not Konkours kondition:whistle , but it didn't let me down in 4 IBR's and 1 BL.
317699272_MZFGt-L.jpg

I checked out the website and am curious about the "concours style showing and judging". Is there a website that describes this style of judging and will this one have a specific set of guidelines?

Count me in. :thumb

Oh, PLEASE, don't tell me. NOT a chase vehicle. :stick :laugh

See you there.

tb

Ha!! Are you volunteering? :hide Actually, I have a Mag's "U-bag" (I think she calls it the Grand Touring Bag) that will wrap around the back and lay on the side pockets (with some paint protection measures). However, maybe I'll take my K75S and display it side-by-side with K75Swim's K75S.

You don't have the K1 specific luggage?????

I have a 3-piece set of luggage for the rear seat consisting of a medium sized center "box" with a smaller, thinner, pair of side compartments (one for each side) which goes on the passenger seat area. These are about big enough for a couple of nights on the road if you were staying in a hotel. Are/were there other K1 specific luggage?

K1 with bags from the internet.

Ralph Sims

Attachments

• K1 Horsfield (1)_small.jpg
    K1 Horsfield (1)_small.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 128
K1 with bags from the internet.

Ralph Sims

Ralph, that looks like a K1 with a K100 rear subframe. Some individuals did that themselves, and I believe there was a company in Germany doing that conversion as a retail service for a while. Do you have a bigger version of that photo?

Back