• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

25 Years Of The K-Bike at Gillette!

Nah, it's the 85. There's a reason that the 85's are often referred to as the FYK (Finest Year K).

No way dude! :D '92 K75 was the FYK, FYI.

(actually, I don't know... nor do I care... they're all good... but I'm particularly happy with mine).
:p

W??do in Germany did a K1 conversion which featured saddlebags. They named it
K1 Greyhound. I posted a picture of one in the K-bike forum a while ago and don't know how to get it here.

Yes, there was BMW soft luggage specific for the K1. It consisted of a large center bag and two sidebags. The color matched the K1 tankbag. It was attached to the rear grabrail with snap buttons and the side bolts that normally hold the tail cover. Came with a rain cover that sported the K1 logo. I started collecting these when they were no longer available new and have 5 sets. :whistle

Well...I wouldn't exactly call the center bag "large", but that's the luggage I have - minus the rain cover.

Are you going to Gillette?

Unfortunately, I would not have been able to make the concours. I have to be back in Ohio Sunday night which would have required us to leave Gilette early Saturday morning. That was also part of the decision not to go.
Well, there is always 2009. We'll see you in Georgia ;)

The 2009 site will be announced by next Monday... :twirl

Unfortunately, I would not have been able to make the concours. I have to be back in Ohio Sunday night which would have required us to leave Gilette early Saturday morning. That was also part of the decision not to go. Well, there is always 2009. We'll see you in Georgia ;)

Georgia..?????? I thought it was Vegas :whistle

I don't know if we figured out where they were sold new, but the local (Boise, ID) friend I bought mine from got it from a guy in California. Don't remember if he was the original owner or not. It should be possible to check through my local dealer by VIN and to see which dealers got them.

That might be me. I sold my blue '92 K75S to a man in ID. Would have been in '99 or so. But I bought it used (barely used) in San Francisco.

That might be me. I sold my blue '92 K75S to a man in ID. Would have been in '99 or so. But I bought it used (barely used) in San Francisco.

That year would check, as I got it in 2002 and he'd had it about three years. I bought it from Matt Dykas. He was early 20's at the time, and I believe he said the seller put the bike in a pickup (or trailer) and met him part way. Sound familiar?

That year would check, as I got it in 2002 and he'd had it about three years. I bought it from Matt Dykas. He was early 20's at the time, and I believe he said the seller put the bike in a pickup (or trailer) and met him part way. Sound familiar?

That's it! I was scheduled to drive my pickup from California to Colorado on a nonmotorcycle-related trip. I had sent him a bunch of photos (predigital), and he bought the bike sight unseen. We met somewhere in Utah, put our trucks butt-to-butt and rolled the bike from mine to his. I'd guess it was March, 1999.

I think Matt wrote an article for ON about a trip through Idaho on that bike. I could be mistaken, though.

I bought the bike from a man in San Francisco who was planning an odyssey with friends. The trip fell through, and I bought the bike with 14,000 mi. I think. It looked brand new, and is one of the few motorcycles I regret selling.

See you in Gillette, I guess!

That's it! I was scheduled to drive my pickup from California to Colorado on a nonmotorcycle-related trip. I had sent him a bunch of photos (predigital), and he bought the bike sight unseen. We met somewhere in Utah, put our trucks butt-to-butt and rolled the bike from mine to his. I'd guess it was March, 1999.

I think Matt wrote an article for ON about a trip through Idaho on that bike. I could be mistaken, though.

I bought the bike from a man in San Francisco who was planning an odyssey with friends. The trip fell through, and I bought the bike with 14,000 mi. I think. It looked brand new, and is one of the few motorcycles I regret selling.

See you in Gillette, I guess!

Well, isn't this forum just amazing? Now I have this bike's history back to perhaps the original owner. Sweet.

I got it from Matt in 2002 with about 42k on it - now it has 54K. He rode it a fair amount, but also had a heavy shifting foot, so I had to deal with a bent shift fork. It also ate the clutch splines while he had it and got a new tranny input shaft and clutch. I've kept doing little upgrades and cosmetic clean up, so now it has a YSS shock, radial tires, HH brake pads, and some minor fork tuning. Handles like a dream and looks very sharp. I get people all the time asking me if it's for sale. NOT!

I'll PM you with my contact info, but likely I'll have it in Gillette and we can have a beer while you exercise "visitation rights". :laugh

Back