• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When did I learn...? Practical tips for all riders.

All kidding aside I prefer to concentrate on the road and it's constantly changing variables rather then bodily functions.

Have fun.

There is some great info here! Someone should compile and create an article for ON. (not that I'm volunteering!)

I'm happy to say that I've developed many of these habits from day one. I had a really good teacher who constantly reminded me until it all became second nature.

Good point. Just go easy on the coffee and bran muffins before
hitting the road:stick

That's a good point that several have mentioned. Travelling by bike is different than travelling by car. When you are going to be riding, think about what you eat and how it effects you. Some foods make you sleepy, some foods make you jittery, spicy food may make you uncomfortable. That will all influence how you ride.

Someone else mentioned if you are thirsty, stop and take a drink. I think that can be expanded to; if you need or want to stop for something, stop. It's not a race and if distance is your goal, don't bite off more than you can chew. Respect the messages your body is sending you as far as it's limits. The more you ride, the more you will be able to ride greater distances so build up to it.

Riding is, and should be, first and foremost fun. The term "ride your own ride" has appeared several times in this thread. It doesn't just apply to speed. it applies to distance, traffic conditions, destination, and any number of other things. When you choose your riding buddies, they should respect your level of experience and adapt to it. Nobody, whether experienced or novice, has to prove anything. Always, always, always stay in your comfort zone.

Newstar is right, this stuff would make a great ON article. Any takers?

Always check your mirror before pulling out to pass and never pass a vehicle on the right, I'm speaking mainly of the left hand turners traveling in the same direction as you are.

beware of the first drizzle after a dry spell. The oil & water on the tarmac combine
to make an effective lubricant. You can actually suds in the tire tracks. Once it
starts raining heavy it washes away and you can get crazy again. Also, stay out
or the very center of the lane at intersections-that's where all the cages sit and
leak oil, coolant, and AC drainage.

This is a really good thread

I would like to add two things:

1.)When riding on city streets next to parked cars, keep an eye on drivers in the cars who have their left hand in the ten o'clock position just over the directional stalk ( two o'clock for the Brit style) and they are looking in their side mirror or rear view mirror.

That cage is about to pull out, or wants to pull out, and chances are he / she does not see you.

2.) Replace your OEM scooter horn with a fiamme or steibel horn. These horns do get a cager's attention, although there is no substitute for common sense and good riding skills.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It would be great to have all the ideas in this thread published in ON. Perhaps even have a continuous column?

it's always two

Over and over I've found that when a cager does something stupid and dangerous, it's almost certain that he'll do a second something even more incredibly dumb and unbelievably dangerous in just a moment.

Not the only reason for not chasing them down to instruct, but a pretty good bet in my experience.

Last edited:
Some of the best advice I ever got was from a very experienced buddy who told me that:

"Sh*t happens when you're riding a motorcycle. And when sh*t happens, it tends to happen from the right."

Ever since, I've stayed in the left lane or as far as possible to the left if I'm stuck in the right lane. And it's saved my butt more than a few times.

Don't ride next to a semi. Tires can and do explode, rims come off the hubs, the driver has a hard time seeing you and may move over on you.

And the corollary, Don't follow too close BEHIND a semi (or any vehicle for that matter), especially if you cannot see what may be laying in the road ahead. You know why. Sometimes it's easy (or tempting) to forget.

If something in the bike doesn't feel right....

.... It's probably not. Check and be sure all is ok before continuing.

This falls under the trust your gut category. We all have a voice of self-preservation and a voice of expediancy. Long term motorcyclists have learned to listen to the former and give it preferance over the latter.

If the little voice in your head tells you to think twice, think twice. And if it turns out you were just paranoid, what have you lost? Better to be alive and paranoid than the alternative.

This is a big one: IF YOU KEEP DOING THE SAME THING, YOU'LL KEEP GETTING THE SAME RESULT. Always learn and be willing to change for the better. If something didn't work before, it probably won't work this time either.

Key position

That position just past fork lock where you can take the key out?

Double check the headlights. :banghead

Jump starting an RT? You have to pull some plastic.:banghead :banghead

If you've taken the saddlebags off an RT in order to jumpstart it, once you get it started and are looking at the bags on the ground and don't want to shut the bike down you'll remember that little half key that could fit in your wallet. And that the little half key is hanging on the key board at home 90 miles away. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

When you stop your bike on the side of a hill, put your uphill foot down first.
When you stop your bike after a long ride, double check that you actually put your kickstand down.

It's hard to climb out from under a fallen bike, and it's even harder to pretend that it doesn't hurt.

-Marty

Smoking is dangerous

If you're following a vehicle and you can see the occupants are smoking, stay back, especially if you see a window open. To many smokers think the world is their ashtray and will simply pitch a still lit butt out the window. Catching a hot ember in the face is no fun.

Just a few thoughts

I always take real notice of children when on or around the bike. I once moved into new digs and the landlady was so nice until I parked the airhead and as I walked away her 3 year old touched the hot cylinder. Off to the doctor for him and me feeling just awful. 'Think ahead' doesn't just mean while riding.

My feeling is, from my own experience, that I am most in danger when distracted or dozy. or COLD.
I always have an electric vest in my side case to avoid hypothermia. It creeps up on you and slows down reaction times. Just as I always put on the rainsuit as soon as I see a car coming toward me with wipers going, I force myself to stop and get on the warm gear before I lose my better judgment.

"Space" is your friend; Create it! Use the manuverability of a motorcycle to position yourself as far from danger as possible.

Position yourself so as to be able to see the driver in their rearview mirror.

When passing large trucks, approach from a point which allows the driver to see you coming in his rearview mirror, turn on turn signals, flash your highbeam, and pass with authority. Move to the left as you go past the truck to avoid being sucked towards it and angle to the right as you approach the front to counteract the pressure wave off the front of the truck.

On the open road, move to the right when meeting oncoming traffic; especially trucks. It makes you more visable to any vehicle following the truck and gives you space in case they pull out to pass. It also allows you to lean into their pressure wave and take the turbulence more head on.

Move around in your lane; a moving target is harder to hit:D and attracts more attention from drivers.

Use slower vehicles to block tailgaters by timing your pass. When coming upon a slower vehicle, look up the road for a passing opportunity. Slow your rate of approach until the opportunity presents its self; then pass with authority! Never allow yourself to be trapped.

Even though a vehicle is stopped at a cross road, flash your highbeam several times. It lets them know you see them and makes you more visible. Give a friendly wave as you pass to acknowledge their courtesy.

Tom

As you approach intersections that have stopped cars, alternating pushes of the handlebars make your headlights and presence more noticeable to those who might not otherwise notice you. I don't care if they think I'm out of control, so long as they see me and don't pull out until I've passed the intersection.

Back