• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MiaÔÇÖs First Ride

G

grossjohann

Perhaps a little unorthodox as ride reports go, I thought I would post this: the “epic” journey of a newborn baby across ?¥ of the United States.

Disclaimer: Had everything gone according to plan, of course, we wouldn’t have made this journey. Due to circumstance beyond our control, we had our baby in Arlington, Texas, and were forced to make the long trip back to New York via train as air-travel is out of the question for the tender four days of age.

Having flown in, we deposited our rental car at DFW airport and cab [Nope, not that one. Sorry, we need the big one.] to Dallas Union Station.

DSC_0841.jpg

DSC_0840.jpg

After a 4 hour wait at the station (the train was 2.5 hours late) we boarded Amtrak’s “Texas Eagle” where had reserved “sleeping” accommodations to Chicago, IL.

Note: We tried booking 2 adults, 1 child, and 1 infant online or over the phone, and had an impossible time finding a room. Everything pointed to no-vacancy or only coach seating available (can you imagine 48 hours in coach with a 4 day old?). Just to see actual availability of sleeping cars, I searched online for 2 adults only and found several nice rooms available (at least they were nice in the pictures). On a whim I booked my wife and me for the entire trip to secure the room (which can hold up to 3 adults). I then called customer service with my reservation and explained, “My daughter has decided she doesn’t want to fly home with her grandmother. Would you please add her to our reservation? Here is my confirmation number…” This wasn’t a complete lie because we had offered her a flight to avoid the long trip, and she refused. In short, $149.50 later, we had our “first class sleeping car” reserved for three, and our infant didn’t need a ticket…

DSC_0848.jpg

Not to diminish the hard working attendants aboard the Texas Eagle, the accommodations were far from what we had expected. As we departed Dallas Union Station, the conductor’s voice came over the PA, “Welcome to the Texas Eagle. Amtrak is family friendly so we have two rules: no drunkenness; and no cussin’! If we get too many complaints, you’ll be met by the local law enforcement at the next station!”

The train was dirty, our bathroom/shower has not been cleaned [used bars of soap and poop in the toilet], the mattresses were urine stained, the dining car was poorly organized and there was half-eaten food left all around the public areas.

Not exactly what we had gotten from the pictures of wealthy retired persons sipping Champaign in the observation car…

The picture doesn’t do it justice:

DSC_0852.jpg

Some tender moments:

DSC_0861.jpg

DSC_0866.jpg

After a long night of milk and diapers, we pushed through St. Louis, MO and arrived in Chicago, IL.

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0878.jpg

Chicago Union Station is right in the heart of down-town Chicago, so “Offspring 1” and I took a short Daddy/ big-sister tour to bring back a “decaf, low-fat, mocha, late – no whip” for mommy.

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_0890.jpg

The wait at Dallas Union Station was pleasant due to the courtesy lounge provided to Amtrak sleeping car travelers. We found a cozy spot and setup a makeshift nursery.

Boarding the Amtrak Lakeshore Express was on-time and well organized. At 9:00PM we boarded the train and were greeted with a wine and cheese reception (sparkling cider for nursing mother and big-sister) while our attendant Michael assembled the beds on his own initiative. Michael is of Basque descent. He speaks 9 languages and is writing a book on the Basque people. We spoke English, Greek and German (I’m only fluent in German and English).

Needless to say the train was clean and very well organized.

DSC_0893.jpg

The second night passed quickly. Mia was in good spirits and slept most of the time. Mom and I cat-napped and read, and we all settled into the trip like seasoned travelers.

Grandma and Grandpa were quick to offer to collect us at the train station in Albany-Rensselaer. We cautioned them that my car was still at Albany Airport, and that grandparents plus the new family of four would not fit in a 5-person car. We suggested they bring two cars, but Grandma said, “don’t worry about it. We have everything covered.”

We knew something was up, and sure enough, we were greeted at the station by the extended family with gifts and balloons. After a teary reunion, we collected our baggage and headed out to the parking lot where a garish stretched limousine awaited the new-born rock star.

DSC_0895.jpg

Of course, we made sure the DOT approved child safety seat was properly installed before heading out. When's the last time you saw a car seat in a limo?

DSC_0894.jpg

After a quick detour to the Albany Airport to collect my car from long-term parking, the clan headed home where Grandma and Grandpa had snuck in while we were under way. The lawn was mowed, the house was clean, the refrigerator was stocked.

We all enjoyed some time together before everyone politely left not to overstay their welcome and to burden the tired travelers.

DSC_0896.jpg

DSC_0899.jpg

Mia doing what a 5 day old girl does best (yes, she is only 5 days - she was 9 lbs 8 oz at birth!!!).

DSC_0904.jpg

DSC_0908.jpg

Time for a nap.

DSC_0912.jpg

Last edited:
Alex,

Congratulations! What a story! As Gail already said, great ride report.

I'm sorry about the Dickensian conditions aboard the Texas train. Your new daughter is a beauty and, wow, a big girl, too.

I'm must say, your oldest daughter is really a lovely girl and so photogenic. You've shared with us a number of pictures of her and I'm always taken with her beauty. The two pictures of her and her new little sister are just wonderful.

You're most fortunate to have such a wonderful family. Glad you all made it home safe and sound.

Very nice report. What a great looking newborn. All is well that ended well and as a grandpa, I saw that it ended well with grandparents already spoiling your offspring!

The circle of life continues.

Congratulations to all.

Thanks, guys.

Mia has certainly made a big impact on our lives. Not because she is a demanding baby, so far she has had only one “bad” night, but because she has brought a wonderfully new dimension to our family. Big sister is more mature, mom is overjoyed, and dad is still in shock.

Alex, great story. Your photo eye shines again. Thanks.

I’m actually trying not to take too many pictures. The camera has always provided a comfortable buffer between me and my emotions. Now is the time to feel the warmth that can only come when an infant accepts your affection and reciprocates with truly unconditional adoration.

-Alex

Thank you, Tom.

Abby is truly wonderful. So far, Mia takes after her dad. I'm hoping she develops her mother's good looks... I've seen me in a wig, and shudder to think what Mia will look like if she doesn't.

-Alex

Alex,

Congratulations! What a story! As Gail already said, great ride report.

I'm sorry about the Dickensian conditions aboard the Texas train. Your new daughter is a beauty and, wow, a big girl, too.

I'm must say, your oldest daughter is really a lovely girl and so photogenic. You've shared with us a number of pictures of her and I'm always taken with her beauty. The two pictures of her and her new little sister are just wonderful.

You're most fortunate to have such a wonderful family. Glad you all made it home safe and sound.

Back