• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Combat Touring Boots for my birthday

redclfco

The last time I got caught in a big rain storm, I came home with wet feet, and finally made a decision then and there I wanted some Aerostich combat lights for my upcoming Birthday. My old bike boots are leaky even after sealing, and I have always hated the exposed laces hidden behind a strap, and the shortness of them leaves my shin open to hopping rocks and spray. So I finally went out and bought this seemingly overpriced boot!

I didnt want the full combat thing, cause most of my riding is done to and from work, and taking off/putting on the big boot seemed a bit much, so I went with the light.

I need to decide how to break them in short of soaking them in water, then wearing a day or two? Any suggestions? My usual way of breaking ANY boot in is wear the damn thing, quit complaining, tough it out and wear them. Any suggestions?

I got a pair of "regular" CTBs this spring. I think all you can do is wear them everywhere you go for a month or so and they'll start to break in. Mine are starting to free up after about 1500 miles and many days of wear.

Love my Combat Lites. You have to just wear them. Breaking in nicely.
That being said, I should have gotten a half size smaller. When they say they run approx. a 1/2 size larger than American shoes...that is an understatement.
Killer boot, though!

Not entirely waterproof

I wore a pair of Combat Touring Boots for about six years. It takes some long days for wearing them on and off the bike before they are OK on the bike. They aren't entirely waterproof. You can treat them with Fiebing Snow Proof and get reasonable watertightness. Water can come in the seams if you don't treat them. To get around this, I carried a pair of Gore-Tex sock liners. If the weather turned sour, I could slip them on and keep my feet dry.

The Combat Touring Boots don't come anywhere near as waterproof as my Oxtar Matrix boots. These boots have a Gore-Tex lining. They are also easier to break-in and fit better for me on my K12RS. For some reason, Oxtar boots are now called TCX boots. New Enough has them and can help you find the right fit.

Combat Lights here too:)

I ride a GSA1200 and my new Combats are about two months old now. I love the boots and I'm size 12. Stiff at first and still so, but I changed my shift lever to a Hammerhead +10 and this did the trick entirely:). NO more shifting issues, even with the new boots. They will break in. I rode with them dry, no conditioner for weeks, until just yesterday when I put on "KIWI Mink Oil Paste", very lightly applied for the first application and will do more later. They look better than new:). I also bought "KIWI Water Pruf", for my water days out there. I will apply it before any departure from the area, on longer rides. Both sell at WalMarts for 4.50$ a can, which will last a long time. I use my hands to rub the stuff into the boots and wipe them down with a soft cloth afterwards. The Mink actually helps my hands, too. A natural softener:). Both products are like a heavy wax paste and apply well, by KIWI, a long time shoe/boot care vendor:). Randy"Polarbear"

It takes a long time, just wear them like you normally do. I keep snow seal on mine and have excellent results with their ability to keep my feet dry even in all day rain.

Love my Combat Lites. You have to just wear them. Breaking in nicely.
That being said, I should have gotten a half size smaller. When they say they run approx. a 1/2 size larger than American shoes...that is an understatement.
Killer boot, though!

I have to agree... I am a size 12 so thats what I ordered. I put em on and they felt great but they seem to take up more surface area all around than they should. They felt comfortable and roomy :scratch but I should have sent em back for 11 1/2. I've posted about shifting problems that I found were related to the extra large size, to which PolorBear has modified his shift lever to overcome. I just stopped wearing them . They are also getting damaged from the Exhaust sheild on my left heel. Expensive lesson. I also purchased a pair of Aerostitch summer riding gloves. They are really nice but even in XL they are too tight at my finger tips. Its hard being a sasquatch:violin

I ride a GSA1200 and my new Combats are about two months old now. I love the boots and I'm size 12. Stiff at first and still so, but I changed my shift lever to a Hammerhead +10 and this did the trick entirely:). NO more shifting issues, even with the new boots. They will break in. I rode with them dry, no conditioner for weeks, until just yesterday when I put on "KIWI Mink Oil Paste", very lightly applied for the first application and will do more later. They look better than new:). I also bought "KIWI Water Pruf", for my water days out there. I will apply it before any departure from the area, on longer rides. Both sell at WalMarts for 4.50$ a can, which will last a long time. I use my hands to rub the stuff into the boots and wipe them down with a soft cloth afterwards. The Mink actually helps my hands, too. A natural softener:). Both products are like a heavy wax paste and apply well, by KIWI, a long time shoe/boot care vendor:). Randy"Polarbear"

Back when I was in the army I used mink oil on 'real' combat boots and it did wonders for those!

Back when I was in the army I used mink oil on 'real' combat boots and it did wonders for those!

How would mink oil relax the combat lights? Personally I can't imagine how these boots would possibly fair in combat Flat footed, non breathing velcro fastened pontoons? :dunno Why do they call them "Combat..." in the first place?

Nice alternative

I was also looking for the perfect boot and was considering the Aerostich boots. Reading reviews on boots on various sites, one reviewer commented that out of all the boots he's tried, his favorite was still his tried and true Danners. Bought a pair of them and they are the most comfortable boot I've had. Zippered side, Gortex lined, light and fits great right out of the box. They may not be big name or have a lot of buckles and stuff, but I can buy three pairs for the price of the Aerostich. I believe mine are 8" Telson and are also very comfortable when not riding and easy on off with the zipper.

I ride in Alaska and northern Canada

I've had a pair of Aerostich CTB-L boots for about a year. They feel fine, and fit well. They're not waterproof to the extent that you can go wading in them, but I've had no problems with soggy toes from riding in the rain. I've also got an Aerostich Roadcrafter, so there's not really much opportunity for water to get into the boots.

My "real" boots are Red Wings, but wholly unsuited for motorcycling, especially travel.

I was also looking for the perfect boot and was considering the Aerostich boots. Reading reviews on boots on various sites, one reviewer commented that out of all the boots he's tried, his favorite was still his tried and true Danners. Bought a pair of them and they are the most comfortable boot I've had. Zippered side, Gortex lined, light and fits great right out of the box. They may not be big name or have a lot of buckles and stuff, but I can buy three pairs for the price of the Aerostich. I believe mine are 8" Telson and are also very comfortable when not riding and easy on off with the zipper.

I ride in Alaska and northern Canada

The Danners Site is showing a comparable price to the combat lights... However, I agree that they look like a much better all around comfortable, durable, ankle proctecting boot. Unfortunatley I own the areostitch and have to find another use for them.

My usual way of breaking ANY boot in is wear the damn thing, quit complaining, tough it out and wear them. Any suggestions?

You said it!

The combat touring boots, Sidi actually, are thick and stiff - as they should be. I actually had trouble shifting when they were new. Really good quality, comfortable, waterproof and warm (hot in summer). Also, they fit under you denims, and they excell as off road boots as well. I would have liked a shin plate for more protection.

:D

I agree that I need to wear them more to bring them into my comfort zone and soften them up. The quality is great and they are quick to gear up. They are just too big and that is partly my fault for not sending them back to try a size smaller but they didn't feel to big when I slipped into them and it would have taken longer than my pateints could afford. I only found out after that they wern't comfortable to shift with because they felt so much bigger on the bike and by that time I had marked them up because the heel was rubbing on the Exhaust sheild behind the left peg. So.... anyone thinking of buying these, especially large appendaged men, (or women ) :hide Try them first.

How would mink oil relax the combat lights? Personally I can't imagine how these boots would possibly fair in combat Flat footed, non breathing velcro fastened pontoons? :dunno Why do they call them "Combat..." in the first place?

Since I've never been in combat, I couldn't tell you! I was a Cold-Warrior. :p

The last time I got caught in a big rain storm, I came home with wet feet, and finally made a decision then and there I wanted some Aerostich combat lights for my upcoming Birthday. Any suggestions?

Though it may be a moot point now... I bought a pair of over boots to cover a less weather hardy boot.
I ride year round here in Seattle so you can be sure these are weather tested.
Best $50 I've spent on my feet. "Hands" down! :laugh

Last edited:
Since I've never been in combat, I couldn't tell you! I was a Cold-Warrior. :p

I have a few buddies that were Cold-Warriors... but the question stands. How would mink or any other oil help the Aerostitch Combat Lights? They are finished black and impenetrable...

I have a few buddies that were Cold-Warriors... but the question stands. How would mink or any other oil help the Aerostitch Combat Lights? They are finished black and impenetrable...

I have no personal experience with these boots, but my guess would be that they'd be softened a bit and would gain some water resistance. That's what mink oil does.

I think the CTBs are great. I have 35K on mine and they look barely worn. Have never had a drop of water come in them when treated as Sidi recommended with mine with Natur Seal. It is a beeswax/silicone mixture that makes them impervious to water, and I have been in many, many torrential downpours with them. The uppers are still stiff, but they are supposed to be, for your protection. Per most all leather manufacturers, avoid water proofing agents containing animal fats, such as mink oil. They will eventually rot the stitching and degrade the leather.

Last edited:
MORE "Combat Boot" Tips:)

Mine are about three months old now and I ride with them only once a week maybe on longer rides into the backcountry near my home and longer street rides, touring,etc.. MINK products soak into any leather and soften it and give some water resistance ability. I also use the Kiwi"Water Pruf" for extended ability for water tight Combat Boots. It works very well. I rode just yesterday in rivers two feet deep, on my GSAdventure, wearing the Combat Lights with all my above treatmenst and NOT A DROP got into the boots:). AND, Aerostitch sells INSERTS for those who have bought a slightly oversized boot and they slip right in, mold to your foot and its fixed. This is a common issue with boots and they clearly advertise this in the Aerostitch Catalog, for those wishing to size their Combat boots perfectly. I've heard the inserts work very well. You bought the size 12, which is probably your perfect, best guess and the lower size would be too tight. I ordered the 12's, holding my breathe they would fit and I got lucky:). I would have got the inserts as needed, if the fit issue arose. You should try this for yours, or you could sell the boots quite easily, at a bargain to somebody. They are a popular boot and you'd have no issue selling them for say, 200$. Maybe more! Best wishes, Randy"Polarbear"

Back