• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bright White Headlight

You my kinda dude

love to find good stuff at good prices on account of my thin ass wallet.

Which one?

I am assuming the H4ST, is that correct? Is it just a simple install? I too am not a happy camper with the factory lighting, but I can't see spending the big bucks on additional lighting, given the fact I try to do little nighttime riding. We have a huge over-abundance of deer in our area, and I have had one too many close calls. I had a head-on with a 5x5 Whitetail with my company truck, and after finding out how fast and unexpected it all happened, I am pretty jumpy about riding the bike at night. Thanks for thye heads up on the Sylvania product. Rich

Yes, that is the one, and the I believe the 9003ST is the same, if you look at the bulb from the top, it says H4 on it, and they just package it for cars. I found it at my local auto parts store.

Cliiffy in white?

Hey Cliffy
I installed a bright white 135W output lamp that uses 55W of power. I was a little concerned that cars would be annoyed but have not had any problem. I liked the low beam so much I swapped out the high beam as well.
As far as simple to install I guess that is relative to the person doing the install. Lorezepan and I didn't have any trouble so listen very carefully and for a special price we will tell zee seecret.

1. Remove existing lamp.
2. Installation is the opposite of removal.

Caution old lamp may be hot.

I keep the old lamps as spares.:bliss :bliss

We take checks, cash, AMEX, jewelry almost anything of value.

Okay

so what kinda bulb has 135 watts while using 55 watts of juice? How many money units is said bulb?

A word of caution to doing headlight upgrades:

Factory wiring is for a factory 55W/65W bulb. Going up to higher wattages has two results:
1. more current going through your small-gauge wires
2. more heat on the socket at the base of the bullb.

I had been running 55W/100W and 80W/100W bulbs and noticed that my socket into the bulb had started melting a little.

I have since upgraded my wiring and socket and so far, so good.

Re: Okay

Cliffy777 said:
so what kinda bulb has 135 watts while using 55 watts of juice? How many money units is said bulb?

It's called a superbright white. I got mine from BMW of South Bend, As a clarification it's candlepower output is the equivalent of a 135 watt lamp. It doesn't use 135 watts.

cliffy
YOU DO NOT WANT TO STARE INTO THE LIGHT FOR LONG!!!!

Cost about 35 dead presidents many less than a motolight or PIAA setup and it does not affect the looks of the rocksta. I rode with Brad last night and his headlamp looked positively dim in my rear view mirror compared to another rider that had superbright white lamps installed.

You know Brad, loves to poke along

lorazepam said:
Yes, that is the one, and the I believe the 9003ST is the same, if you look at the bulb from the top, it says H4 on it, and they just package it for cars. I found it at my local auto parts store.

Wow, that looks like the Phillips Vison Plus's I've been running for a couple of years and love. The only problem is they aren't available in the states, (Well, I haven't been able to find them anywhere) and they're only available in 55/65 Watt versions.
The Sylvania site says the H4ST is 65/72. Is that correct? I'll have to check for them at the CheckerZoneBoys tomorrow.

Back