• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet advice please!

Overkill

Today my helmet dopped and went rolling across the concrete floor and broke off the vent covers and now the visor will not go all the way up. I was thinking of getting a new one anyway. I have a full face with little speakers I put in it to listen to my Ipod. I was thinking of a flip up but I need to be able to eother add the speakers to it or have them already installed. I am am worried about a flip up because of noise and less protection. I will spend what I have to get a good one. I am told carbon fiber is great because it is light and strong. The one I have is an HJC full face size XL. So please give me your thoughts on a replacement.

I have a Nolan N-102 and a Zox Genesis. Both are good modular helmets. Both are noisy in the slipstream. Not a problem for me as I ride behind a windshield, but for you that might be different.

I was going to buy the Caberg flip-up, but decided against it. I went to web bike world's web site and read all the reviews on the flip-up helmets. Not a one is a good as a full face helmet. Not one! Period. So if weight, protection, and noise are major concerns just buy a full face and be done with it.

If you can accept the limitations and safety issues (some people have issues with the chin bar in a crash) pick one you like. But you should decide before you purchase just how you want to use it. For example, is a bluetooth headset important? If so, Nolan's offering is the most integrated, but is not stereo if I recall correctly. I put a Camos 600 in my Zox and am happy with that. In my Nolan I use the J&M headset wired to my LT's intercom and I'm happy with that. For the Nolan, I bought the J&M headset built for the helmet. Nice integration there too.

Having said all that, I really like my flip-ups for convience. I needed to remove a portion of the chin pad for my glasses on the Zox, but it was a minor issue. I prefer an internal sunvisor (Zox) to the external (Nolan), but both work. IN fact the Nolan's sunvisor actually works better on the LT because it doesn't cover the instrument panel. Just blocks the upper rays of the sun.

I purchased a flip up ( modular ) helmet last year. I found it to be heavy, and made my neck sore. I gave it away and bought a full face that I like much better. both helmets had ample space for speakers. its just a personal peferance. I need to remove my glasses to put the full face on, but its not really a big deal.

If Scorpion helmets fit your head-shape, they can be a decent compromise. They are nice and light, and I find that the chin-bar is cut low enough that I can often still sort of eat and drink through the opening when I make quick-stops, more easily if I give the chin-bar a downward tug first. Also there is a decent amount of room around my ears inside, and Scorpions are nicely priced. It is the best helmet I've ever worn.

Scorpion Helmet

:clap +1 on the Scorpion! I have the 700 and am shocked at the build quality for the money and how well it fits my head. I also have a Shoei & Arai. I find myself wearing the Scorpion most of the time because of the fog free shield.

lots and lots of options

You're going to get a bunch of opinions on this one....

I really enjoy the Schuberth S-1, got it for $300 on-line, fits great, quiet as all can be.

Past helemts include - Shoei, Arai, Nolan (Shoei was next best in M.O.)

You are going to find many different answers to your question. For example I like my Shoei, but prefer my Scorpion Apollo. Hate my Shuberth flip. Other riders will have different opinions from mine regarding these three helmets.

Try to find a dealer to let you test ride helmets. Most don't but some will. Offer to leave something like a credit card behind for collateral. Your preference for helmets is a very subjective decision.

Not an expert here, but just to share my experiences. Had flip ups since 85 and
the original Schuberths. ( I wear glasses) It was OK, bit noisey. The golf ball
Schuberth was better. Then I had a Shoei Duotech that was just awful. Noisey,
huge and not too well made. Picked up an Airoh at a national and it was quite
good-actually got to use it when a deer intercepted me. (I don't think they were
ever legally imported-mine came with a "novelty use only" sticker instead of a DOT
sticker) Now I've had a Caberg Jutissimo for about a year and love it. Well made
and designed, comfy, not too noisy and the integrated sun visor is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Full face helmets are better, but ANY DOT helmet probably gives
80% of the maximum protection. And I have no electronics in my lid. Good Luck!

I bought a HJC Symax II Modular helmet about a month or two ago because I wanted the modular functionality & a built-in sun-shield, etc. I like the helmet overall but just this week I've started having problems with the visor and the fact that it won't stay up once I hit around 60mph or so. I tend to ride with the chin-bar down (of course), the internal sun shield down and the visor itself up. I've never had a helmet with this problem but due to whatever (wind, etc.) it just slams down anywhere over 60mph or so like the mechanism to hold it up is worn down.

I'm calling HJC tomorrow, will let you know how it turns out. Other than that, I really like the helmet.

But for fit, not features.

Whatever you do, don't buy a helmet which doesn't fit your head properly. There is a great deal of difference in what will fit the head of Rider A and that of Rider B. If you want a modular helmet, Shoei Multitecs fit about 80% of those who try them and fit can be customized to a degree with different cheek pads. Unless you have a round-shaped head with a forehead that slopes back somewhat, the Nolan isn't a good bet. The difference is that Shoei sells helmets that have been tailored to an aggregate North American Head while Nolan sells the same helmet here that they sell in Italy. Arai makes three different fits and Scorpion at least two.

Also, if you look at the overall design, it's pretty obvious the Shoei helmet has spent more time in the wind tunnel than the Nolan and is going to be more quiet.

Either way, don't buy until you try.

Howard
Apparel Manager, Bob's BMW

Shoei Multitec

Picked up my new Shoei Multitec on Saturday. Initial test fit indicates it will be very comfortable. After a little test riding this week (and any fine-tuning needed), I'll be wearing it on a 2,000 mile trip this weekend. Will let you know how if works (fits, comfort, noise, features, etc.) next week. But, first impression is that this is a fine helmet.

Asking about helmets is like asking about oil. Everyone has their personal likes/dislikes.

So here is my 2 cents

1. Make sure it fits right (Arai has different cheek pads and helmet designs) that help in this regard. They also are the most quite, and comfortable IMHO

2. Stay away from open face or flip up style. They do not give good protection for your face.

Take your time and pick a helmet like your life depends on it. (it just may)

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I am still digesting it. I think I will stick with the full face. I have learned about which ones to try, some of which I had not heard of before. So I am getting great benfit from all of the help. Thank you!

2. Stay away from open face or flip up style. They do not give good protection for your face.

While I think we all probably agree with this about open face helmets, not all of us agree about "flip up" helmets. While there is probably SOME difference in helmet integrity between a one-piece full-face helmet and a flip-up full-face helmet, a lot of the difference certainly depends on the design and quality of the hinge and locking mechanism. I do not think I have ever seen an objective test comparing flip-ups to one-piece. Has anyone else? You would, of course, need to know this to judge how much (if any) safety you are giving up to gain the convenience offered by a flip-up.

I wore a bargain-priced "modular" helmet for about a six months and enjoyed the convenience greatly. However, after this time -- just from normal, even careful, use -- the latching mechanism on one side of the chin bar ceased to function. I envisioned the other latch giving way in a spill and decided to return to full facial function.

I now own an Arai Profile (which fits my long oval head perfectly) and feel much safer.

Of course, my experience may have been due to exercise of the "you get what you pay for" principle. Perhaps a more expensive modular helmet might have proved to be as rugged as needed.

Arai, not again!

Arai is a fine helmet, but certainly NO better than many 200$ ones I've seen. I will never again spend 450+$ for a helmet, because the market is so diverse now with options and Arai is out of touch with their prices! HJC is one of the only ones that makes my size now, too at XXXL. The Arai fits at the XXL, but the price is so rediculous and its not well made for the money spent:(. I would expect a carbon fibre, gold striped one for that again! I just recently tried a HJC that fit very nice, Snell approved and 150$, with a great graphics job:). Quiet? The Arai certainly is NOT. Randy

i was an HJC full-face guy before (size XL) and now i'm a shoei flip-face guy. (XL)

i love the shoei. (i have an oval head) and i love having a flip up helmet. i really love it.

Back