View Poll Results: What brand oil do you use?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amsoil

2 1.77%
  • Castrol

19 16.81%
  • Castrol (synthetic)

6 5.31%
  • Mobil 1

24 21.24%
  • Royal Purple

2 1.77%
  • Texaco Havoline

0 0%
  • Valvoline

3 2.65%
  • Valvline Synthetic

1 0.88%
  • Pennzoil

2 1.77%
  • Other

8 7.08%
  • BMW

34 30.09%
  • Golden Spectro

12 10.62%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil Brand you use

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    That report made my head spin! That is more than I ever wanted to know about motor oil. woooo Thanks for straightening me out on thinking that the BMW stuff being mjg by Wolf's Head, who has been bought out by Pennzoil..

RW

I wonder who makes Harley oil? Maybe Kerr Magee? Quaker state?

-----------------------------------------------

I've got my spine and I've got my orange crush

Motorcyle Lubes

Spectro Oils produces a wide range of products, as does Red Line; both have significant web sites......easy to search for and navigate.................

Shep
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Gnome asked:

I wonder who makes Harley oil? Maybe Kerr Magee? Quaker state?
    Answer: Miller Brewing Company

Hardeharhar

sometimes i crack myself up

Seriously, though ...

Having read some of the initial reviews of Mobile 1 in Popular Science in ... 1974 or 1975, I have long been a fan of synthetic oil, and use Mobil 1 15-50W in both my motorcycle and my truck.

That said, I talked with a gentleman several years ago who had opened a quick oil change shop. Talking about the wisdom of sticking with one brand of oil for an engine, he said that while that might have been true 40 years ago, today, it really does not matter.

His take on the consistency of the quality of "apples for apples" oils today is that one could switch brands with every oil change, and the engine would never know the difference.

Next, as a thread in the fabric of the group culture, we (BMW riders) are anal retentive about maintenance, and particularly, oil changes. Our eccentricities aside, if someone is running any high quality oil, and changing the oil and filter at 3 k intervals, under normal use the engine is going to be well cared for.

Finally, the air filter comes into play somewhere in the mix. Maybe we don't spend as much time talking about that because the air box is so darned tedious to get to ... ?
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

dances with roads
    I "stick" with oem lubes during the break-in and run-in periods, then switch to KLOTZ M/C 15-50 synthetics. The exception is in transmissions and final drives I switch to KLOTZ "Flexdrive" at the 500 and 1000 mile mark.
    This has worked well for The past several rides,, K75,ST1100,Guzzi LeMans,and R1150.\.
    Operating temps are lower [by measurement], and shifting is "snickier".

Motorcycle Variants

Beemerphiles.................the oil discussion has yet to mention that some lube companies are producing "Motorcycle Specific" variants...I suspect these oils have more of the "good" stuff (ZDDP) that can't be blessed by SAE for auto use...generally they are more $$..................thoughts????????

C'mon guru's, help us on this this one
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

I use Castrol 20w-50 I agree with BMW owners being anal about maintance so every 3-4k changing the oil. Just about any brand name would probably work.

filippo
    I use Putoline

Their website is here

bmwmick
    Originally posted by gambrinus
    I'm wondering who makes the BMW stuff. I know that Wolf's Head out of Oil City Pa (My home stomping grounds) does a lot of the "private label" oils for diffent mfgs.

RW
    Valvoline formulated the 15W50 Synthetic as of 1998. Not sure who is making it currently.

Mick

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    BMW synth or dino? I start to use synth when the bike uses none or very little oil since the last change.
    Jack Hawley

rmoser
    I use Aeroshell 15w50 in my R80. It's specifically designed for air and oil cooled aircraft piston engines and has special anti-scruffing compounds in it.

Heck, the engine in my Piper Arrow (Lycoming 360ci 4 cylinder) looks like an airhead on steroids . You can get it at pretty much any small airport's pilot shop in either quarts or gallon jugs.

Rob

Unhappy Aero oils: OUCH

Rob, and other fellow aviators..................I'm not sure aviation lubes are all that great for our Earth-bound vehicles. I believe av lubes have special properties-I think it's a low-ash property, but it is extremely undesireable in a street engine, that operates at (basically) sea level, higher head temps, higher RPM, etc.

The R-80 "looks" the same as aviation engines, but the lubrication requirements are quite different I've told.....

Fly safe, ride safe,

Shep (ATP-MEL & Rotor)
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

rmoser
    You might be right, although the technical properties don't seem all that different, to be honest.

But considering that "normal" automobile oil is getting less and less suitable for use in an airhead, I wonder which is worse, unsuitable auto oil or aircraft oil?

Right Wing Conspirator Grey_Matter's Avatar
    I use the BMW stuff for now. After the 12,000 mile service I am planning on switching to a synthetic.

I have always used Castrol products exclusively in my vehicles. I am using Castrol 20W-50 regular right now and will switch to Castrol Synth at about 10-12K miles.