• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Brand you use

What brand oil do you use?

• Amsoil

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Castrol

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Castrol (synthetic)

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Texaco Havoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valvoline

• Valvline Synthetic

• Pennzoil

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • BMW

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Golden Spectro

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters
Motorcycle Variants

Beemerphiles.................the oil discussion has yet to mention that some lube companies are producing "Motorcycle Specific" variants...I suspect these oils have more of the "good" stuff (ZDDP) that can't be blessed by SAE for auto use...generally they are more $$..................thoughts????????

C'mon guru's, help us on this this one :) :)

I use Castrol 20w-50 I agree with BMW owners being anal about maintance so every 3-4k changing the oil. Just about any brand name would probably work.

gambrinus said:
I'm wondering who makes the BMW stuff. I know that Wolf's Head out of Oil City Pa (My home stomping grounds) does a lot of the "private label" oils for diffent mfgs.

RW

Valvoline formulated the 15W50 Synthetic as of 1998. Not sure who is making it currently.

Mick

BMW synth or dino? I start to use synth when the bike uses none or very little oil since the last change.
Jack Hawley

I use Aeroshell 15w50 in my R80. It's specifically designed for air and oil cooled aircraft piston engines and has special anti-scruffing compounds in it.

Heck, the engine in my Piper Arrow (Lycoming 360ci 4 cylinder) looks like an airhead on steroids :) . You can get it at pretty much any small airport's pilot shop in either quarts or gallon jugs.

Rob

Aero oils: OUCH

Rob, and other fellow aviators..................I'm not sure aviation lubes are all that great for our Earth-bound vehicles. I believe av lubes have special properties-I think it's a low-ash property, but it is extremely undesireable in a street engine, that operates at (basically) sea level, higher head temps, higher RPM, etc.

The R-80 "looks" the same as aviation engines, but the lubrication requirements are quite different I've told.....

Fly safe, ride safe,

Shep (ATP-MEL & Rotor)

You might be right, although the technical properties don't seem all that different, to be honest.

But considering that "normal" automobile oil is getting less and less suitable for use in an airhead, I wonder which is worse, unsuitable auto oil or aircraft oil?

I have always used Castrol products exclusively in my vehicles. I am using Castrol 20W-50 regular right now and will switch to Castrol Synth at about 10-12K miles.

I didn't include elf or Bel-Ray in the poll. Guess that could go under,"other". Not even sure if one can get elf in the states.
I have heard good things about both lubricants though. Any body know about these?:dunno

Two quarts of 20W-50 plus 8oz. of BG's MOA in my '79 R100S. I usually change oil every 1000-1500 miles and the oil and filter every 2000-2500 miles. If I stretch out the intervals I usually have to add about a half-a-quart at 1000 miles.

Looking back in the service reciepts from the early 90's. various BMW dealers put Castrol 20-50 in my bike 1990PD-owned by someone else at that time. ive used mobil 1, which let me know which gaskets were really leaking! Now with replaced gaskets I use Castol Syntec Blend 20-50. Valvoline makes a synthetic 20-50 which ive tried
Having said that castrol Dino was always used in it prior. When I replaced the oilpan gasket last summer, there was not a lick of tarnish inside the pad, cam lobes looked great as well!!
Every 3000 miles, does it really matter??

R1100S, 26K mi, Motorex 10W50 Full Synthetic.I get it way cheap so I use the best.:D:bliss

Mobil Delvac "the million mile oil" has served my (and more importantly my iron horse) very well. It tests very well, and is cheap so you change it often.

Back