• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Brand you use

What brand oil do you use?

• Amsoil

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Castrol

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Castrol (synthetic)

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Texaco Havoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valvoline

• Valvline Synthetic

• Pennzoil

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • BMW

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Golden Spectro

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters

Gnome

Since I started one poll,(that I found out later had already been done),I thought I would start this poll, being most curious as to what brand of oil that is most used by everyone here.

If you do use an "other" oil let me know what brand if you don't mind. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Castrol fer now

but will prolly switch to Mobil 1 or some synthetic when the odo hits 10k. (8300 currently)

you're a smart man cliffy! Let that motor work in with conventional oil for about 10k and then synthetic all the way. Check out Royal Purple synthetics when you do switch,I believe you will be a happy camper.

www.royalpurple.com

Must be nice to have a new bike! I'm waiting for the kinks to be worked out on the new K1200 S! Heard it'll do 200+!!!!!:clap

Airhead Oil

Pollsters.................I use Golden Spectro 20-50 in my '82 RS.

In our cages I use Mobil-1 and Redline............Shep

I added a couple options to the poll and moved the votes around to reflect what we show in the posts.

I'm wondering who makes the BMW stuff. I know that Wolf's Head out of Oil City Pa (My home stomping grounds) does a lot of the "private label" oils for diffent mfgs.

RW

BMW 20-50 for now. About to hit 10K. Considering synthetic. Run Mobil 1 in my PT Cruiser and am happy with it. How is it in an 1150R?

Re: Airhead Oil

Shep Brown said:
Pollsters.................I use Golden Spectro 20-50 in my '82 RS.

In our cages I use Mobil-1 and Redline............Shep

Ditto on the Spectra! My 94 R11RS with 49K miles on it runs great, when it's running:cry , and it shifts like a Japanese bike,

Jim:brow

Thanks for tuning up the poll kbasa. Finding out the "other oils" that you guys use has really enlightend me. I guess I don't get out much,because I had never heard of Golden Spectro,and Red Line.
I'm not against anyone using conventional oil in a bike. It's a personal choice,but with all the good, and I do mean good synthetics out there and the good data on them I can't see why one would run anything else but synthetic.

Gnome said:
Thanks for tuning up the poll kbasa. Finding out the "other oils" that you guys use has really enlightend me. I guess I don't get out much,because I had never heard of Golden Spectro,and Red Line.
I'm not against anyone using conventional oil in a bike. It's a personal choice,but with all the good, and I do mean good synthetics out there and the good data on them I can't see why one would run anything else but synthetic.

No problem, Gnome. Good poll, man.

That report made my head spin! That is more than I ever wanted to know about motor oil. woooo Thanks for straightening me out on thinking that the BMW stuff being mjg by Wolf's Head, who has been bought out by Pennzoil..

RW

I wonder who makes Harley oil? Maybe Kerr Magee? Quaker state?

-----------------------------------------------

I've got my spine and I've got my orange crush

Motorcyle Lubes

Spectro Oils produces a wide range of products, as does Red Line; both have significant web sites......easy to search for and navigate.................

Shep

Gnome asked:

I wonder who makes Harley oil? Maybe Kerr Magee? Quaker state?

Answer: Miller Brewing Company

Hardeharhar

sometimes i crack myself up :D

Seriously, though ...

Having read some of the initial reviews of Mobile 1 in Popular Science in ... 1974 or 1975, I have long been a fan of synthetic oil, and use Mobil 1 15-50W in both my motorcycle and my truck.

That said, I talked with a gentleman several years ago who had opened a quick oil change shop. Talking about the wisdom of sticking with one brand of oil for an engine, he said that while that might have been true 40 years ago, today, it really does not matter.

His take on the consistency of the quality of "apples for apples" oils today is that one could switch brands with every oil change, and the engine would never know the difference.

Next, as a thread in the fabric of the group culture, we (BMW riders) are anal retentive about maintenance, and particularly, oil changes. Our eccentricities aside, if someone is running any high quality oil, and changing the oil and filter at 3 k intervals, under normal use the engine is going to be well cared for.

Finally, the air filter comes into play somewhere in the mix. Maybe we don't spend as much time talking about that because the air box is so darned tedious to get to ... ? :dunno

I "stick" with oem lubes during the break-in and run-in periods, then switch to KLOTZ M/C 15-50 synthetics. The exception is in transmissions and final drives I switch to KLOTZ "Flexdrive" at the 500 and 1000 mile mark.
This has worked well for The past several rides,, K75,ST1100,Guzzi LeMans,and R1150.\.
Operating temps are lower [by measurement], and shifting is "snickier".

Back