• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

high performance underwear.......huh?

D

DavidBMWRT

I get very uncomfortable after about one hour riding. It is always bad, but maybe itÔÇÖs worse in the summer. I fill like I stick to the seat and the lack of good circulation causes problems.
I now own a stock seat on a ÔÇÿ02 1150RT and I have tried several remedies (Beads, Sheep skin, Custom seats) but not the high performance underwear.

It sounds like a good idea The polyester prevents the gripping and the second layer material absorbs moisture. But maybe not.......

What do you think of ÔÇ£high performance underwear?ÔÇØ

I wear the sport moisture wicking tights from Wal Mart. I do not wear cotton underwear with them on long rides. 13 hours and no monkey butt.

Ralph Sims

www.ldcomfort.com

Just did a 50CC and 5500 miles in 10 days. No problem. They cost more and they are worth it. Buy one pair, and you'll be hooked. No affiliation YMMV and all that. You can wash them out roll in a towel and hang out, they will be dry the next morning.

I know a guy who wears his wife's "silky's"
"No seam" is his excuse...
Just sayin'

I bought some "LD" riding shorts and thought 50 bucks was a lot of bling for skivvies. I liked 'em so I started looking at bicycling shorts. If you can get by the "diaper is full" syndrome while walking around wearing them, that chamois is heavenly...
and no I'm not gay...
(not that there is anything wrong with that) :doh
Seems like 50 clams is sort of the going rate. Now I can whip it out at stops and I just look like fat euro biker in Cannondale shorts:sick
Sanders

Get a sheepskin and fit it to your bike seat. It fixes all sorts of Monkey Butt syndrome. Just remember to remove it when getting off the bike if it is raining out. Wet Butt will cause worse problems than you will want to know about.:jester

:ca

I wear the sport moisture wicking tights from Wal Mart. I do not wear cotton underwear with them on long rides. 13 hours and no monkey butt.

Ralph Sims

.................under Jeans Ralph ?

I went by Walmart today on your recomendation and I'll try the $10 kind tomorrow. If this doesn't give any relief I'll spend the $50 on the ID"s as suggested by
MLS2GO.

I told my wife I was going to buy some high performance underware, and she said that would be like buying a Ferrari and putting a Volkswagen engine in it.

What'd she mean by that?

Les

.................under Jeans Ralph ?

I went by Walmart today on your recomendation and I'll try the $10 kind tomorrow. If this doesn't give any relief I'll spend the $50 on the ID"s as suggested by
MLS2GO.

That is exactly what I wear. I bought then to exercise in, to keep my thighs from chaffing when I ran. I can no longer run, but I still exercise in them.

I made a ride of 2800 miles in 7 days and I wore them under riding pants or jeans when I got to hot Florida. I have a pair of the higher cost ones and the Wal Mart ones are more comfortable due to they are not as tight. I have a set of full length tights I wear in the winter under pants.

Cotton underwear will hold the sweat and get wet. I even wear the moisture wicking t shirts under my riding jacket. I have a long sleeve one for winter wear. leather jacket, home made heated liner and wicking T, good for hours @ 30 degrees. Tour master draft, wicking T in the summer.

I have seen the same thing in the BMW dealership for $75. The logo doesn't matter to me.

I also have a Bill Mayer seat that a friend recovered in goatskin. The leather is softer than a glove.

Ralph Sims

Ralph Sims

I use shorts like those but from a different source and will never go back to cotton shorts again. The ones I have don't have seams under the legs, they wick, breath, don't bunch up, and wash and dry easily in a hotel sink. Even cheap bicycle shorts seem to be pretty good in my experience. :thumb

Google "compression shorts". Same as bicycle shorts, but without the padding in your crotch. As an added bonus, they're a fabulous fashion statement at rallies, particularly when paired with boots and a mesh jacket.

Also, check out the Airhawk saddle cushion. No, I take that back. Get it. Yes, it's expensive. I was skeptical, but it is, by far, The Best motorcycle accessory I have ever purchased. Now I NEVER have ANY butt issues on long, multi-day trips. Zero, zip, nada - really, I can't say enough about it. No affiliation YMMV, blah blah blah.

Arla

Underwear Everywhere

after about one hour riding. It is always bad, but maybe itÔÇÖs worse in the summer. I fill like I stick to the seat and the lack of good circulation causes problems.
I now own a stock seat on a ÔÇÿ02 1150RT and I have tried several remedies

You know it's gotta be worse in the summer. Good advice posted on a very intimate topic, everybody's butt and their underpants, :rolleyes yecch!

Try commando, lets in a little breeze. :blah Also consider replacing the stock '02 seat...

Chris
:drink

Result

Just got back from Asheville where I spent the week riding in the Smoky Mountains.

I tried a couple of pair of "High Performance Underwear" that I bought at Wal-Mart and Target.

At least as far as I am concerned it is a waste of money. The temperature ranged between 67 and 90 degrees and toward the end of a day of riding I was more uncomfortable than before.

Beads and taking a break every hour seems best for me.

(I do recommend the undershirts and enjoyed wearing these under my Olympia Jacket. They are more comfortable than the cotton shirts I usually wear.)

high tech riding

I have been using under armor heat underwear with under armor gym shorts under my darian bike pants. I have had them on when it was pushing 100 degrees. They are unbelievable, just don't stop cause anything is hot. I swear by the under armor stuff. Incidentally, the under armor Heat series is for hot weather. Good stuff.:D

I have a friend that does a lot of silk screening and can order "wicking" shirts and shorts through him. The long sleeve shirts are actually cooler than the short sleeves here in hot/humid N FL. The LD comfort shorts are worth the price when riding over 1hr. Silk boxers are supposed to be very comfortable, I will eventually buy a pair to see if they are better than the high tech stuff. Ride Safe :p

Probably Depends are about as "high performance" as you're going to find.

Otherwise, after a year of concentrating on trying different styles and brands for comfort on the bike, I've settled on the Terramar Transport Micro-Mesh Boxer II from Campmor, and they are on sale for $13. Similar big-name brands sell for twice that.

Fred

Back