• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT Shock Choices

PhilScrivano

I am posting this on behalf of a friend at work who just purchased a 2000 R1100RT with 49k on the clock. He attempted to adjust the rear shock and discovered it is worn out. The bike was a big investment so he is looking for a replacement that is not most of a paycheck.

Just are there any alternatives to replacements rear shocks other than OEM, or a high end $800+ shock for a 2000 r1100rt?

Phil

Just are there any alternatives to replacements rear shocks other than OEM, or a high end $800+ shock for a 2000 r1100rt?

Not that I know of, although some people have had the stock shocks rebuilt. I personally bought a used set of Wilbers then turned around and had them serviced before installing them. Bad move really as I wound up paying almost the same price as new shocks by the time I was finished.

I'd just recommend biting the bullet and buying a good set of aftermarket shocks in the first place.

Yep. It sucks, but I would just pony up the dough and do it. Even stockers aren't worth the price for a few hundred more you can get a good rebuildable set. I bought the hyperpros for my bike. Total out the door was about 1500 bucks. Klaus is a great guy and can really help you out. Here is the website.

I am posting this on behalf of a friend at work who just purchased a 2000 R1100RT with 49k on the clock. He attempted to adjust the rear shock and discovered it is worn out. The bike was a big investment so he is looking for a replacement that is not most of a paycheck.

Phil

Might try Beemerboneyard for a replacement

Thanks for these responses. He was a day late on the Beemerboneyard for a used set. He then called A&S in Sacramento. This led him to Works shock. In the end he will save about $150 on on a custom set. I will report back what he ends up getting.

Try Ted Porters Beemer Shop in CA. He sells
Wilbers custom built to your special needs. Great guy to deal with too!

I've put about 25.000 miles on a set of Hagons on my 2000 RT. They have been decent shocks for the money - definitely a step up from the stock ones (though the stockers did have about 40K on then when I finally installed the Hagons).

I am posting this on behalf of a friend at work who just purchased a 2000 R1100RT with 49k on the clock. He attempted to adjust the rear shock and discovered it is worn out.

I realize this is a pretty late reply... but if he has found the PRELOAD adjuster no longer has any adjustment left, that reservoir can be refilled with oil and restore the preload adjustment. This would return the ability to set the preload on the rear shock from low to high. Doesn't change the overall quality of the stock shock compared to the upgrades.

Michael Stock

Any stock shocks are crapped out by 20,000 miles at most, and the y are not rebuildable, and have limited adjustability. I finally spent the bucks to put a set of Wilbers on my 94 R1100RS, and the value is worth every penny spent.

I now have high quality shocks I can adjust, and get rebuilt when needed. The ride quality difference and accuarcy of control difference is outstanding. Personally, I will no longer waste any money on stock shocks.

I put Wilbers on a 98 RT with 100+K. I bit that bullet to lower the bike, which was much cheaper than replacing it. The better shocks made a huge difference in ride quality. As customs, they were built to match my weight and "style".

Rear suspension 1100rt

I have run across refernces to reworkng / refilling oil to stokh struts to add life to them . Anyone know how to do this to stock showa shocks? I need to get a few more miles out of mine as I save up for some aftermarket ones.

However I can not find exact info to rebuild. Any detailed information apprciated

Wow guess I lucked out. The one I bought has 83k on the clock and the suspension is nice. I don't weigh a lot either though. now when I change the front one is it the big shock plus fork springs? Still have not found the knob to adjust the back shock either. But It rides good and corners good so I'm gonna leave it alone.

the shock/spring is a single assemby. there are no springs in the fork tubes, only a small amount of fork fliud for lubrication purposes. all suspension action comes from the shock unit.

Back