• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Tour of Dual Sport Events & MC Rallies

361934221_LCPcN-XL.jpg

Creative Camping

361913374_7pTCA-XL.jpg

The Very Boring Rally 2008 - Aerostich 25th Anniversary Party

362112629_jR6Yp-XL.jpg

The Very Boring Rally 2008 - Aerostich 25th Anniversary Party
a Party that happens every five years

The very Boring Rally was held at Spirit Mountain Resort concurrent with the North American Trials Championships. Spirit Mountain hosted the last three rounds of the AMA National Observed Trials Championship Series, which seen the crowning of the 2008 national champ!

"After twenty five years, we want to thank our friends and customers, and have a fun party," said Andy Goldfine of Aero Designs aka Riderwarehouse / Aerostich.:thumb

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Resort . . . . .

362098547_7RHnn-XL.jpg

The Very Boring Rally had perfect weather but, if you wanted to get out of the perfect weather you had the choice of many indoor seminars or you could just hang out inside the resort.​
362099288_pTeif-XL.jpg

Below: The Internet cafe complete with huge wide screen puter displays, the on-site Aerostich Wearhouse and a small vintage bike to be given away.​
362100173_LWPx2-XL.jpg

......AMA National Observed Trials Championship Series

The Trials riders had their own campground. They had full use of the Spirit Mountain resort grounds. You could watch them practice in ever corner of the large Resort.​
361779983_A75au-XL.jpg

361789126_DGaWD-X3-1.jpg

The Trials riders came in all forms, from these young girls who took a liking to Barb & Buddy, to this guy who was running in the 55 plus senior class​

361779491_Apvt8-XL.jpg

362095744_xjHiR-XL.jpg

These trials riders enjoyed an audience as they were practicing their skills :thumb

362098294_XL7Yb-XL.jpg
The Trials riders would stop for a few seconds, jump the bike sideways a few inches, then did the maneuver​
362096280_v36gm-XL.jpg

362096774_v3W9s-XL.jpg

Old School at the Brushpoppers

Brushpopper Swinging Bridge September 19
387123494_GBG8u-XL-1.jpg

Swinging Bridge

If you ever take a true swinging suspension bridge, and a dude named "Mad Jack" tells you to go like hell, listen to him. The bridge has a slingshot or hammock effect when 600 pounds of bike and rider gets to the center and the stretch is loaded, You want to be almost off the bridge, and not in center of the bridge. Think, rubber band.:bliss

This bridge is about about 25 feet above the water. At that height, I didn't ask how deep the water was, as it most likely wouldn't matter.

My word to Mad Jack on Sunday morning: I shall never cross that bridge again.

387123302_pv6Dr-XL.jpg

377399057_MkHAn-XL.jpg

The Brushpoppers are famous for their Enduro. This ride was on the Brushpoppers Enduro Route. Airhead BMW are Enduro Bikes Right?

These photo do no justice of the Enduro track, this section of Illinois had 8 inches of rain a few days before the event.

Here is a YouTube vid of the Swinging Bridge:Bridge

377407517_ucRyS-X3.jpg

377410289_gXyCd-X3.jpg

Culverts fording

377369702_eSaXP-XL.jpg

When I got to this culvert, I am thinking "what the world", then I thought about it and figured I will not drown and I can always change the fluids. Right?​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Mud Ruts

377420809_Vbok6-XL.jpg

Of all the situations I ride in, mud ruts are my worst situation. A 250cc motocross can run down the rut and have no problem. Airhead GS will totally bottom out in the rut. You will need help to get the bike out.

If you take the high spot next to the rut, you have a change of putting your foot down in the rut, or driving into the rut, either I don't want to try.

This rut, I had no problem. I did get caught up in 3 different rut spots last summer.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Log crossing

377412790_QUKVo-XL.jpg

Log Crossing

We had some go storms over the summer and we lost some of the large old trees. There are various ways to do a log crossing:

1. The true 250 style dirt bike would just lighten the front wheel and ride right over this log.

[*]Another way of crossing a log is to just hit the log head on and where you land is going to depend on your luck. As I mentioned that KTM 250-400 are breathing down my exhaust pipe in some of these tight sections.

[*]Top photo show the bike stuck with the log in the space between front wheel and the engine/belly pan. I had to lift the back end of the bike and walk it forward to the second photo. Notice that the bike is standing without a side stand. Today's ride is 100 miles with some connectors between the enduro loops, so I don't have time to get caught on many logs or even to take many photos.

[*]My most common log crossing technique, is give throttle and land hard on the belly pan. Once on the belly pan, I can ride or lift the rear of the bike forward and ride of the log.

[*]Occasionally I have the bike hung up on a very large log, then I just lay the bike on the side and use the large engine cylinder to pivot the bike forward.

[*]The best way to get off the log, is to have a buddy riding with you.

377415809_rFQiZ-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Corn

377387118_oDL3Q-XL.jpg

The Brushpoppers cut a nice race course through the corn field. The corn stems were cut just barely below my foot peg height and the leaves were hitting my protective gear. At 30 MPH it makes for some safe but exciting riding and a good chance to evaporate the sweat of riding in the warm, windless woods . The leaves hitting you make a good sound you will never forget. This is as good as it get and was a nice change from the hilly single track of the woods. .:thumb

377390824_MsCCF-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Verdict

377391386_BFoaH-XL.jpg

On this incline, the Brushpoppers had a helper to get bikes up the slime embankment My R100GS with almost new kull knobbied Dunlop 606 chugged right by the helper. The Brushpopper member chuckled "Just like a tractor". The next bike, a KLR had trouble, but when I checked his tires were very worn.

Larry (DRZ400), GanzR (KLX 250), Yellow Mike (XR 650) and I lost more than half of an hour looking for a loop, allowing the Brushpopper sweepers to get closer.

With a whole day of low RPM in the woods, my alternator did not have the juice to charge my battery. When the battery was fully dead, this big guy (pictured below) on the KTM 640 adventure had a tow rope that he wrapped around my forks and with the help of one other guy got me to the top of the hill. I got a push start down that hill and called it a day at loop 11 of 13. At this point the Brushpopper Sweepers caught up to me. The next loop, Yellow Mike's foot got caught on a rock, fractured and that was it for his day. :cry

The Brushpoppers had a great meal :eat and they sure like that late night :drink camp fire. The Brushpoppers actually had a ride leaving after dark into the woods- - - No Thanks!​

377409687_dQo3e-XL.jpg

Back