• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Canada/US bike transport

walt3022

I need to transport a purchased bike from Canada to the USA. Who can recommend a freight company that is reliable? Or, would I be better off $$) if I just flew up there and rode it home? I've been told be customs brokers that may be a problem, but other private individuals report that it is a piece of cake to do the latter!
Who has personal experience here?
TIA

A used vehicle that is for personal use (not for resale) is an easy deal. Forms are all on line from U.S. Customs. The only sticky bit is if it's a model that was not originally offered for sale in the U.S.

Paying a broker isn't needed, unless you would prefer to have it shipped vs. flying up and riding the bike home. I'd personally opt for going up, having a good look at the bike and then making a final decision. Having a bike of unknown condition crated, shipped and brokered through customs is WAY more than the price of a plane ticket.

I worked in a Customs Brokerage / Freight Forwarding office for a year between teaching gigs...

Cheers

RW

Back