• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spot On

Darn - it worked just as advertised. I wish I had thought to put SPOT on the bike and take a picture. It definitely will come in handy during the Salty Fog Rally.

Best price I have seen is on Amazon for $141. There are a couple of other similar products. Has anyone used them?

Seems pretty cool!!

I followed you as you drove over the weekend Paul. That was pretty cool. It was really neat when you were traveling during the day and could see your progression. I think one may be in my future as well.

Have been following the Dawg across country. So far the unit is working flawlessly.

Last time "spotted" RedRider and StatDawg were on HWY 104 in New Mexico bound for San Albuquerque.

Click Here for latest location received from SPOT

New Location for StatDawg and RedRider
Click Here
Latitude:36.3955
Longitude:-105.2857
Nearest Location: , Angel Fire, NM, US

Time:07/01/2008 17:01:24 (GMT)

SPOT is working just fine!

Regarding Spots ability to send a signal with limited sky view: I took mine on a trip to France last month. While in Paris, I placed it on a table on our outdoor terrace at our hotel. The skyview was extremely narrow with buildings all around. I didn't think there was any chance of a signal getting out. When I called a friend at home, he advised me he had received the O.K. message and found the location in the Latin Quarter. It seems to do a bit better than advertised or expected.

Have reached London Bridge

LondonBridge.jpg

Latitude:34.4802
Longitude:-114.3512

Time:07/03/2008 14:17:57 (GMT)

Statdawg and RidRider have reached London Bridge - in Arizona

Have you guys purchased the tracking function? That's what I'm interested in seeing. You will have to mount the unit on your bike so it can have a clear view to the satellites.

MeccaCA.jpg

This is where the guys are now - almost in MECCA (in California)

Their last SPOT message read:

SPOT Check OK. All is well. We are field testing this Unit in North America in various settings.
ESN:0-7399286
Latitude:33.5848
Longitude:-115.9455
Nearest Location: Desert Camp, United States
Distance: 7 km(s)
Time:07/03/2008 19:13:03 (GMT)

Did not purchase the tracking function but it could be added at any time. The same could be accomplished by hitting the "I'm OK" button on a regular basis.

Pictures?

The pictures aren't coming from Spot, Right?
Are you Googling images after you get the location?:scratch

Hi tkbaker4:

This is the actual message I receive via email:

SPOT Check OK. All is well. We are field testing this Unit in North America in various settings.
ESN:0-7399286
Latitude:33.0759
Longitude:-116.5625
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:07/03/2008 21:00:32 (GMT)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.0759,-116.5625&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

I tidy up the message somewhat and paste it to the forum.

When you click on the GOOGLE link provided by the message the exactly location is displayed. The view provided by the link has the choice of several images. (Map, Satellite, Terrain)

GOOGLE also displays several images of the area. I pick one of the images and display that on the forum. So you do not have a live image but several representative images are displayed.

The rider can share the trip with the folks back home without ever taking a picture.

Click on the URL above and give it a try! :wave

Last edited:
Cool!

Paul,
That is what I thought you were doing.
To come up with a bar with a lot of bikes out front? :dance
Google continues to amaze me in every aspect.
If I only had the time to delve more deeply, but I have two bikes that need their exercize and a wife and job that supply the to-do lists.
I'm suffering from Priority Paralysis! :banghead

The neat part is that the technology works as advertised and is reasonably priced - $150. So far it has worked in the mountains of Vermont and New York. StatDawg is carrying his across country to San Diego and then will join us in Gillette.

It all runs on two AA batteries. :thumb

My SPOT paid for itself many times today.

The short version: Yesterday our group of dual-sport motorcyclists was riding on Soda Springs Rd, a remote, dirt road west of Truckee, when one of our riders went down hard in some rocks. He was obviously seriously hurt so I hit the 911 Button. The GEOS Response Center alerted local authorities and a helicopter and ambulance were dispatched. There was no place for a helicopter to land - we loaded him into an ambulance about 45 minutes after I pushed the button. He is currently recovering in the hospital with 9 broken ribs and a punctured lung.

During this time the GEOS Response Center made every effort to keep in touch with the local authorities and relay information to my wife.

------------------------------------
I posted this story on Advrider on 6/30/08: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282391&page=54 (msg #807) - this thread contains lots of useful SPOT info

Back