• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michigan's LOWER peninsula

C

cheesewhiz

Hi all.

I'm planning to take the long way home from the RA rally in Houghton, MI and would appreciate any route suggestions.

I'll have three days to get from Houghton, MI back to Janesville, WI and I wanted to take the opportunity to explore Michigans lower peninsula.

The first day I thought would be a straight shot across the UP, over the Mackinac bridge, and camp somewhere near Cheboygan. Now, here is where I need the help. Which is the better ride for Monday? Along the coast of Lake Huron, along the coast of Lake Michigan, or a combination of both? I'd like to camp/motel it around the Ludington area that night. Tuesday would be the biggest challenge. Getting from the Ludington area THROUGH/AROUND Chicago is not something I'm looking forward to.

None of these plans are set in stone and are subject to change at any time for for no particular reason It is an adventure after all

Thanks in advance. :bow

Last edited:
I'm partial to the Lake Michigan side with many high bluffs along the highways overlooking Lake Michigan. If you go Lake Michigan side you should include Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (Empire & Glen Haven area) - nothing more beautiful on a bike. We do that ride at least once each summer.

Also M119 from Cross Village to Petoskey is beautiful (but you may not have time if need to be in Ludington monday night).

Highly recommend the drive from Empire south on M22 from Glen Arbor to Manistee (M22 ends at US31 just before Manistee - just turn right on US31 south thru Manistee then down to Ludington another 30 miles)

Why not take the Ludington Ferry across to Manitowoc to avoid Chicago? Would give you an extra day in Northern Michigan.

+1 on the Ludington Ferry. I grew up in Ludington and its a great town on the lake.
Sportman's Bar on Main St has great pizza.
Jameport Brewing Company (on James St) has good food and microbrews. It can get crowded at night during the summer, but you can always eat at the bar.

Hiya, Cheezy!

Don't miss Traverse City, on the Lake Michigan shore line. Nice roads up there. If you decide to take the Ludington Ferry, call ahead for a reservation and see if they'll give you a discount because you went to the BMW International Rally. I'll bet you a beer they give you the discount, just for asking.

:D

Plus one on the 119 recommend. If you like twisties and fantastic scenery, then you will want to ride this bit of heaven. I am partial to the Lake Michigan side.

Back