• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'MOA "GS" Trials Event;

Polarbear

Polarbear
As many have read already, Randy Owens(ME), Rob Nye and Jim Hansen have been putting together GS events, from riding the countryside on dirt byways to the motocross track play times(Thursday and Friday), on the rally site:). A "GS Trials" event will be held on SATURDAY, mid morning, for a few hours(depending on numbers) and I wish for all of to bring your best dirt skills to this, for some good "competition" among riders. "Trials", means slow, technically challenging, obstacle course kind of riding on dirt/mud,soft stuff,etcetc.. Its a fun time to be had, for even those with less than perfect dirt skills. Just a need to have fun is all thats required:). We will have safety guidelines of course, but nothing you don't know already. We have been doing this out west for years and years at the 49er Rally with great success and spectator/rider support and I hope to bring a show to the National crowd as well. All GS riders should have some interest and "maybe" even join in, for some good times. Not an experienced dirt rider, NO WORRIES, come let some of us seasoned GS riders help you learn(Thursday and Friday), at your pace on the track. We won't push you, but will give aide to your questions and even show you some tricks on dirt riding your GS. Its fun and we want nothing more than to bring our dirt world to all with "adventure" in their blood:). I am 55 now and ride dirt today as since my youth and hope to until I can't get on the bike anymore. Maybe 80+, Wishful Think'in:). Many will show up with much experience offroad and I wish for some good rider on rider, educational challenges, instructional help from many of those wishing to help ME. Please volunteer with us and we will have play time, too. The "Event" on Saturday morning will show who's who in our world and all riders of any level and willingness, will be welcome to give it a shot at GS Stardome. Awards? Yes! I'm working on it:). LETS HEAR WHO's INTERESTED! I need some "juice" from you GS and spectator folks and I suspect there's plenty to go around! Be there:D, some of the BEST RIDERS will be, for sure. Randy"Polarbear":D :D :D

Let's do it in the Dirt!

:clap :clap Randy,
I'm new to the GS world and am looking forward to having you guys teach me a thing or two, just be gentle, I bruise easy.
Thanks, Paul

Randy,

+1 with what Paul said. I've ridden alot of dirt, but that was thirty years ago, and on machines that were a little lighter than my R1200GS Adventure. I'm looking forward to the experience and the guidance.

Thanks for stepping up,
Guy

My only ???? is will we get bonus if we do the trials course with road tires... Will be there on my 1150 GS but with Metz tourance... would be nice to see how i do on the roads compared the crazy stuff i do on knobbies..

YES on tires;

Some will ride on knobs, indeed, BUT I will ride my GSA1200 on Battle Wings by BS. Standard dual sport tires for me, so we will show how its possible both ways, regarding tires. Rob Nye has expressed interest in buying knobs, once out west, via some local dealers. He is researching this, for those interested in swapping tires in the middle of your trip. He will ride from Rhode Island on Tourances, switch to knobs for Wyoming, Colorado and go back to the Tourances for the trip home, I believe this is his thinking. If we get rain, during the eventing, etc., knobs will have a great advantage over the standard tires, indeed. Your choice. Its only money:). Dry conditions will be fine for either kind of tire is this offroad adventure, imo. Tire pressure goes a long way to managing bike maneuverability off road, so bring your electric tire pumps. You know this is a first time adventure for our BMWMOA National Rally and of course most rallies have been unable to have this kind of event. NO m/x tracks, but this one rally site has it on site. HOW COOL is this! We will take advantage, with Rob's phone work, he managed to get the facility handed over to us for three days:):):). We will offer all the muster we have to make this "MOA GS Biker Event" friendly and have a ton of fun, in safe and sane fashion. Many have expressed concern about the ability of BMW GS's offroad and this event will put any of that to rest, if I have my way. I'm working at it:). Please speak up in this post and show interest, because I and my co chairs are looking forward to this and want to share our GS offroad interest with as many as possible. Looking forward to meeting many many out there. Happy Trails, "Polarbear", Randy Owens13233 PS; Don't forget local Jim Hansen's work too, setting maps for exploring the surrounding "DIRT BYWAYS". I hear he has one very exciting "Devils Tower" dirt experience for the GS's to explore. I want that one:). RO, Adios:clap

TVGal; You got it!

You want to play in the dirt? I'll share and give my best and give you a great head start at this experience, offroading:). I'm pleased to have girls doing this and it makes me fuzzy all over, knowing some of the girlies have as much or more grit than so many guys that buy GS's and never do anything exciting with them! I might hurt myself or my bike! I've heard it too many times and have to wonder what kind of sheltered life some folks live...They probably get hurt brushing their teeth? Anyhow, enough bashing as the GS lineup surely makes for a very exceptional road touring bike, so be it. I love the adventure side and all the dirt byways N.America offers, too. Best of both worlds in these GS bikes:). PS; The GIRLS in my family ride dirt, too at 25 and 53 years old:), F650ST and Kawasaki KLR650. Fine bikes:). My wife will be aboard her KLR650'08 for this trip to Wyoming. ME, R1200GSA'07, as I go BIG.....So, please look me up, TVGal and we'll play dirt all you want:). Randy13233. I'm getting older at 55, but have not let up, with play time at hand:). Happy Trails"Polarbear":D

Great work Randy, Jim and Rob! :clap

Looking forward to being there and lending a hand. (Also a hand in picking up tired bikes :stick )

Let's make this memorable. :buds

You bet:)

Help will be appreciated, bigtime:). I don't run an organized, schooling(event) affair like this often and will need much help. We want fun for all and riders with experience and others too are surely needed to make it all happen. Lets have a fun time and learn some positive dirt lessons, so riders can partake in their own journeys on the dirt byways with some good knowledge of GS's and dirt:). I would hope to see a lot of curious GS folks there in Gillette at the m/x track and hope to meet many many of my equals that know the dirt already. Lets share:). Randy"Polarbear"13233 Happy Trails:D :usa :ca

What to wear;

Update on gear; You will have to wear your helmets, boots,gloves and anything else you wish. The three items are required to ride the m/x track. Longpants may well be included, for obvious reasons. The track will not be for racing BMW's, but simpler Trials kind of riding skills at a much slower pace. We don't race these things anyways, so our slower pace on GS's will do well here. Some may have air under their wheels, but I sincerely discourage much of this AIR activity and want safety at the forefront:). Riding trails is a fun activity and exploring our vast wilderness areas is where BMWGS bikes excell, so take part and learn well:). Randy,"Polarbear"

Sign Me Up

I have never done any formal dirt training and I look forward to it. I have a 2007 with the stock dual purpose tires. Am I well advised to buy knobbies before heading west? I live in Omaha and my experience is that knobbies do not work well at high speed in cross winds on asphalt. The wind will always blow on your nose or sideways in Nebr and Wyo. I lived on the Wyo border for 13 yrs and I know- the hard way.

Picture of a fellow rider on 2007 trip to Guatemala is attached. I know how to cross water, mud is my demon.

Fritz

Attachments

• dirt2-2007.jpg
    dirt2-2007.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 178
The proper motorcyele....

Let's see do I ride the R1150GS with Tourances or the Dakar with Mefo Explorers! Oh the decisions!!! I think I'd like to join this event.

I have never done any formal dirt training and I look forward to it. I have a 2007 with the stock dual purpose tires. Am I well advised to buy knobbies before heading west? I live in Omaha and my experience is that knobbies do not work well at high speed in cross winds on asphalt. The wind will always blow on your nose or sideways in Nebr and Wyo. I lived on the Wyo border for 13 yrs and I know- the hard way.

Picture of a fellow rider on 2007 trip to Guatemala is attached. I know how to cross water, mud is my demon.

Fritz

if you have an oilhead, and you start from omaha on a new set of continental tkc 80s, you may just make it back home with a little tread left.

expect 3-3500 miles from the rear... the front will go much longer.

you won't have any issues with traction on pavement with these tires, and they make a big difference off-road in loose/soft/wet terrain.

ian

if you have an oilhead, and you start from omaha on a new set of continental tkc 80s, you may just make it back home with a little tread left.

expect 3-3500 miles from the rear... the front will go much longer.

you won't have any issues with traction on pavement with these tires, and they make a big difference off-road in loose/soft/wet terrain.

ian

It's the debate I'm also having. The rally's 1250 to 1500 miles from here, depending on the route. I can certainly, probably, get there and back on a set of TKC's, but to eat a set of tires up just to have them for a couple more fun spots.... hmmm...

Count Me In

Randy,
This sounds great. I look forward to it but I'll only be there Thursday and half a day Friday then I have to head home. But while there...bring it on. :p

Mud Tires

Ok - I finally got the pic to load. Its a 2007 F650GS which I have obviously taken off road with no regard for the bike. Please look at my tires and comment if I should just put Continetal knobbies on it and ride to Wyo. I have no ego. I lost it in the mud.

Fritz

Attachments

• mudtires2.jpg
    mudtires2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 133
Tires???For GS'ing:)

Well, I ride a lot of offroad and its mostly hardpack High Sierra'a or Colorado High Country to 14000'+,where you find mostly rock and a lot of rivers. Some mud, but not that much. I ride the Dual Sport(no knobs) tires almost exclusively and go nearly everywhere! Sure the knobs are an advantage, but to what end? They get eaten up too quickly and I've found my Tourances and Battle Wings are quite good and last a ton longer:). Air management goes a long way to making traction, for all the tires you use, even the Tourances and others do well on dirt with much less air in them:). So, your choices to make! Its only money and I will compete with my standard issue tires, no knobs. You may need the advantage of knobs, so go figure your skills carefully:). The Red F650 looks good in dirt makeup:). Somehow, these BMW dirt bikes always have more character with dirt/mud all over them:). An extremely clean GS seems out of place,imo....Its all good to me, however. I like 'em all. Happy Trails and see ya'll in Wyoming. Remember, Thursday,Friday and Saturday are play days for those wishing to ride the m/x track and practice their skills. Saturday is the Big Event(competition) to show just how good you can be. 'MOA Trials course on Saturday morning 9AM, will be exciting to watch and/or ride in. If it rains, Knobs will be the ticket and I will have my best skills challenged in mud, with my standard issues. Randy, "Polarbear". :thumb :usa :ca

OH! "Awards" too for;

The best riders of 1st,2nd and 3rd places(ON BMW's ONLY) on Saturday will be awarded a special prize for their skills. I even have a 4th, for the best efforts of an individual of our chosing that has tried so hard to learn this "Dirt Riding" adventure on a BMW. Its all in fun, so lets see GS's everywhere, in large numbers. I THINK, even the BMWMOA is giving away a new R1200GS, as one of the Grand Prizes on Saturday evening at the closing ceremonies, this year:). How fitting! Wyoming is GS Country and if you have the spirit to see Wyomings back country, this is the bike. Be well, all. Randy"Polarbear"

"GS trials"

First post from a Green Horn, I'll be in Gillete and I'm riding my 2007GS Adventure on the Stock Michelens, my 600 pound trials bike DEFINETLY NO Gas Gas!!. I am looking forward to being taught how to ride Das Panzer Bike in the dirt SLOOWLY!CYA All in Gillette!! :dance :dance

First post from a Green Horn, I'll be in Gillete and I'm riding my 2007GS Adventure on the Stock Michelens, my 600 pound trials bike DEFINETLY NO Gas Gas!!. I am looking forward to being taught how to ride Das Panzer Bike in the dirt SLOOWLY!CYA All in Gillette!! :dance :dance

We like Green Horns.......they're almost as good as rally Vi*$in*

Back