• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Dangling breather/drain hose question

M

MRMAICO

I've just purchased an 86 R80rt and while riding yesterday I noticed a breather or drain hose hanging down close to the ground. It passes through the right side muffler/passenger footpeg mount and hangs down in front of the rear tire. Rather than just pulling the things apart trying to find where it goes I figured someone here should be able to point me as to where it is supposed to attach to.
Thanks..........Barry :dunno

Thanks Wes........It has a maintainance free Interstate in it now, there is no vent on it but I assume the original batteries must have had an overflow drain?
Thanks again..........Barry

There is a tank vent that goes down the right side.
On different models it goes different places but there should be a hole that it goes through around the passanger peg.
I think on the R80 it is the overflow from the well around the filler.
That is so if you spill gas it will not go trough and dump on the engine.

Thanks John, I'll check that tomorrow. This hose is pretty long to be a battery hose so your suggestion sounds more likely.
Barry

venting

Just painted the battery box on the '82 RS yesterday.

The tube on *my* bike on the right (ass-sue-me you mean the throttle side) is an overflow hooked up to the rear brake fluid res.

Magwa
Coarsegold, CA

Thanks Magwa, the RT has drum brakes though. It looks like it was the fuel filler neck drain hose although it was a little short for some reason. I just got a new piece of hose and put that on.
Time to go for a ride............Barry :)

Back