• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pepaction Reservoir Run (Albany / Upstate NY)

G

grossjohann

Today was a nearly perfect day. The weather was wonderful. My family was unexpectedly called out of town, and I was left with a free day. I had no plans nor obligations.

Today was the perfect day to visit my old friend the Pepaction Reservoir.

Basically, I leave Albany, NY and work my way across the back roads until I come to Rt. 30 (one of my favorite roads in NY State - you could follow it up from PA all the way through the Adirondack State Park until it ends in Canada). I usually meet up with it just north of the aptly named town of Grand Gorge, NY. Here's the overview (click on the map to for the complete Google map - the embedded version does not load in the forum):

The reservoir itself has something for everyone: water, hills, twisties and slow curves. I just donÔÇÖt seem to tire of this spot:
pepaction.JPG

The ride was great. 72 degrees, low humidity, and almost no traffic. No pictures of my first pass through the reservoir... You've got to ride before you can report on it...
By the time I got out to Downsville, NY (located to the western end of the reservoir) I was nearly out of fuel, which gave me an opportunity to purchase some of the most expensive gas I've ever seen:

Otherwise, Downsville is a rather pleasant little town:

The road surface was really rough heading East, but somehow still good enough in the tighter turns. Such a nice spot. Hills on both sides and water all around.

Margaretville, NY is something out of a Norman Rockwell painting and is located on the eastern side:

After getting some advice from some really nice folks at the liquor store, I walked down to the local steak house and tiki bar. They have "Mother's Milk" on tap and they make a mean NY Strip.

Feeling recharged from a day well spent, I headed home with the sun at my back.

(You can tell the traffic was nuts!)

Any of you Americaders out there headed up next weekend should consider Rt. 30 as far as you can. Once into the Adirondacks you can make your way to I87, or head up over Rt. 8 to Hague, NY, and then down Rt. 9N to Lake George Village.

-Alex

Very nice ride Alex, and your route looked good too. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for adding a new route for Catskills adventures. Next time come on north and we will go ride around the largest man made lake in New York - the Sacandaga.

The ride is StatDawg approved.

A year ago, I did a Catskill reservoir ride and the most expensive gas I'd ever seen was a mere $3.25 a gallon.

picture7zq8.png

Back