• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post photos of your vintage (pre-1970) BMW motorcycle

Dang, it's pretty.

P1010252.jpg

1960 R50/2 barn find....a real diamond in the rough!

This Beemer is my first BMW that I can call my own. The lady who owned it was looking to get rid of it, I showed up and did some work and it was strapped into the back of my truck on its way home the next day. I was informed that no one had done anything to it since the 70's. Being 17 and the son of a professional AirHead mechanic I instantly noticed the 83RT valve covers but just wen't along with what she said. Currently my baby is still not running quite right due to neglect but it is looking to make the journey all the way to Sedalia, Missouri for it's debut into the MOA world.

Attachments

• WP_000112.jpg
    WP_000112.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 504
1954 r25/3

R25/3 rehabilitated by Vech.

An interesting bike to ride. 13 HP. Minimal suspension. Lots of vibes. No speed demon -- 45-50 is pretty fast! Fabulous MPG. Cool around-town ride.

Attachments

• out of trailer 400.jpg
    out of trailer 400.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 502
White pinstripes?

No, doesn't have them.

Original style mufflers?

No, doesn't have them.

Horn button not working. Rusted rims. Runs great.

Did you do the work yourself? Have any more pics?

Nope. Follow the link to see more pictures. http://twisties.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Restoration

The engine with the Del Orto carburetor is my matching number engine. It spun the camshaft and we couldn't get the bearing out. I kept it, but did the restoration with a donor engine (that has been in the bike since the 70's).

Edit: To see the pictures full sized, click on the main picture, then click on "slideshow"in the upper right hand corner of your screen.

Last edited:
Rain City 1960 R50's

These are most likely the only 1960 R50's in Alaska.
Meet Hanz and Heidi, just good friends.

Jim N Jeff Ketchikan, Alaska

Attachments

• Hanz Oct2011 014.jpg
    Hanz Oct2011 014.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 466
I'm brand new to the wonderful world of vintage BMWs. I traded a 1999 K1200RS for this 1965 R60/2 just a couple of days ago. As much as I loved the Brick, it was making a slighly suspect hip hurt an awful lot. The /2 is not restored and I'm tossing around between a restoration or a really, really good cleaning/detailing. I will definitely do a complete detail and then see if I really want to redo the paint.

001-Copy-XL.jpg

I'm brand new to the wonderful world of vintage BMWs. I traded a 1999 K1200RS for this 1965 R60/2 just a couple of days ago. As much as I loved the Brick, it was making a slighly suspect hip hurt an awful lot. The /2 is not restored and I'm tossing around between a restoration or a really, really good cleaning/detailing. I will definitely do a complete detail and then see if I really want to redo the paint.

001-Copy-XL.jpg

Well, if you're interested in opinions? As nice as it looks in that picture, I would just clean it. Heck, doesn't look like it even [needs] that.

Very nice!...enjoy.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. After seeing the vintage display at the Rally on Saturday, I've decided she just gets a really good detailing. I'll leave all the little scars from being ridden just as they are. The only things I'm replacing are the worn peg and shifter rubbers, carb intake boots, grips, and the modern bar end mirrors. It came with an old pair of bar end mirrors which look more correct on the bike.

001-Copy-XL.jpg

Looks good!! Where are you in mid Missouri? I'm north of Columbia, and have a '59 R50 and a '61 R60/2.

Back