Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centerstand lugs measurement favor

Centerstand lugs measurement favor

Would anyone be able to measure the centerstand lugs on on their /2 frame for me? Both are damaged on my R60 frame (2/3 is broken off one of them) and want to weld on new metal before I get the frame powdercoated. Any help would be appreciated.
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

You can buy new lugs from Bench Mark Works

If you need new ones Vech has them, he may also give you a good idea of what the measurements should be. It would help if you could provide the year of your bike as the center stand lugs where changed a little over time and that might affect the way it will be measured. I have an early one and I have a US frame hanging up in my shed.

My play time is somewhat limited for the next few days but if you narrow it down a little to the year I might be able to snap a few pictures with a tape measure to show you where they go. If they are busted up, worn or gone I would buy a set of new and start fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    It would help if you could provide the year of your bike as the center stand lugs where changed a little over time and that might affect the way it will be measured.
    I looked at his sig line...he mentions a '57 R60...he also asked about an R60 in his post. So, I just assumed...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

That's correct, 1957 R60. The one that's broken off is the one on the left side of the bike (if you were sitting on it). There's no rush, if you can get them I'd be very much appreciated, if not I'll give Vech a call. I'd just rather make the part than buy it as I have metal on hand and have no problem welding.
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

Your lugs are different from the /2

I would strongly suggest buying new lugs from Vech but if you insist on building or repairing your own I will do what I can to help. I have to dig out my '55 R 50 frame and get measurements from that. I rebuilt and added extra metal to the center stand lugs on that currently shelved restoration but would have bought new and better lugs from Vech if he had them when I did the work. The later /2 lugs are vastly improved from the R 50 R60 pre /2 center stand lugs so if your going for function and reliability and not worried about us purist nit picky types I would get a set of new /2 lugs and fix it for good. I would splurge a little and buy a new /2 center stand as well unless you are in fear of us purist nit picky types.

I will see what I can do to dig out my 55 R50 project and a tape measure, maybe it will inspire me to get back at that very neat and correct project. I do need a black Earles fork bike now that I think of it and that bike was easy to start and a blast to ride before I got resto-crazy.

Are we talking about the ears that stick up on this centerstand?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=46&fg=52

I got down on the floor and looked at my R69S centerstand...there was much more than these ears...there was some extra material welded down the vertical portion of the risers. It looks original and quite beefy...also very difficult to measure unless it was off the bike.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Are we talking about the ears that stick up on this centerstand?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=46&fg=52

I got down on the floor and looked at my R69S centerstand...there was much more than these ears...there was some extra material welded down the vertical portion of the risers. It looks original and quite beefy...also very difficult to measure unless it was off the bike.
    No, just the part coming off the frame. I'm not worried about keeping things completely period correct, just want to use what works best, which is kinda the reason I wanted to make my own (get the lengths but reinforce with metal), this being said you're probably right in that it would be best just to get new /2 ones. Let me start with the measurements for now and take it from there, as it stands now i already had to weld a crack in the one lug that wasn't broken off.

Looks like Vech is selling the lugs for $126 per side! I definitely think I'll just make my own and if needed reinforce.

If all goes well

I will be able to pull the R 50 frame out and snap a few pics of the lugs with a tape measure. I'll give you a quick explanation of how I added some meat to them without changing them to much. Do you have a good center stand, spacers and bolts to mount on it? That is a must in order to fix the mounts and get them in the correct spot before you paint or powder coat the frame. I bought a new /2 one (can't get the exact one) for my bike while I look around for e super nice original to install

I will be able to pull the R 50 frame out and snap a few pics of the lugs with a tape measure. I'll give you a quick explanation of how I added some meat to them without changing them to much. Do you have a good center stand, spacers and bolts to mount on it? That is a must in order to fix the mounts and get them in the correct spot before you paint or powder coat the frame. I bought a new /2 one (can't get the exact one) for my bike while I look around for e super nice original to install
    I also have a new /2 one, thanks for taking care of this for me

FYI, here's a pic of what I need, so you don't go overboard with measurements. The one closest is fine, just with some cracks I'm going to re-weld, the far one is the broken piece.

Anyone else out there that can help? Looks like we lost Zeff

Is this something that can be done with the stand on the bike? I've not gotten on the floor to study my R69S but if there's something I can do that way, I'll give it a shot.

There might be too much stuff in the way to get an accurate measurement with everything on the bike, but I'm not sure. What I essentially need are the measurements to recreate the broken lug in the rear of the picture.

In your picture above, what is the orientation we're looking at? Is the picture upside down and the front of the bike is to the left? I looked at my late model R69S last night and it doesn't look anything like that.

And I'm guessing that the lug that is broken off is not just a mirror image of the good lug that we can see.