• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Killed a deer today.

rdalland

Giddyap
Well, actually, it was "dispatched" by a DEP Policeman shortly after I ran into it.

I live in deer country. There are deer everywhere, it is not uncommon to see a herd of twenty or so grazing in a field. I'm usually pretty good about spotting them, but this one made it through my radar.

I am about five miles from Rte 28a which runs along one of the reservoirs that satisfies the thirst of NYC. Weekdays there is not a lot of traffic and it is a fun road. I have a twenty mile loop that I ride regularly, usually takes me about 30 minutes.

Today, about 1:00 PM it finally happened. This one appeared out of nowhere. I caught the movement coming from my right and braked as hard as I could.

I usually slow down for the straight sections, no sense getting a speeding ticket for a straightaway. I was probably doing about 45 (posted 35) and scrubbed off another 10 mph pretty quickly. I expect the ABS had a lot to do with my staying upright.

I "T" boned the deer in the hind quarter. It bounced off my front wheel and on to the left side of the road where it collapsed. I saw a big chunk of something obviously from my motorcycle go flying across the road after the deer. I continued riding forward for about an eighth of a mile while processing what had just happened.

I turned around and stopped across from where the deer was laying in the grass. The chunk that went flying was the front section of my front fender. Thankfully, that was all the damage to the motorcycle. The deer was unable to walk, it's rear legs were not working.

There is a police station close by, so I went over and let them know what happened. I got the feeling from the Policeman that this sort of thing happened all the time. He said they would send someone over to dispatch the deer.

I was very lucky to be able to ride away from this one, the circumstances, and outcome, could easily have been very different.

Last edited:
glad you are OK... thanks for posting... good reminder for us all to stay sharp.

adam

I'll take a coupla steaks and a pound of burger! :eat

(good to hear a good outcome as Upstate deer can get big!)

Last edited:
Reid,

I'm amazed that you rode away. Sorry for the deer, but good for you. You're doing something right (like riding).

Indeed, go buy a lotto ticket, Reid. Glad you're ok. For the record, which part of 28a was it? (east or west of Olivebridge?)

A lot of guys would have panicked when they say the dear coming at them, but it sounds like you kept your cool. Nice job.

Your "K" machine can take a hit.
Good riding, happy you were not injured.
The white tail woods rat is every where in the northeast.

Nice job. I would be willing to bet you probably scrubbed off more speed than you think you did. Good on ya for keeping it up and keeping your cool. Now go change your pants. :stick

Glad your ok.

Rats on hooves.

Need some bow hunting in that area to thin the herd. :nra

Here in CA along the coast, same problem. Too many houses preventing hunting. Now the deer, which used to be out at dawn and dusk are active all day.

Many dangerous accidents.

motor cycle riders needed....

ditto on the results of YOU and your bike getting passed this deer!

I have often thot that we need more people out on the roads. Deer and Cattle don't fear cars or trucks or buses... but when a motorcyclists comes riding by with MAN upon it then they panic and run into, over or around us!

Last year coming home from California I took some back roads instead of I-70 in Colorado. First thing I see is a truck waving a red bandana... then around the corner. Cattle. Cars and SUVs are stopped waiting for the cowboys to drive the animals. Sheriff of the local county had his lights on.

Cattle looked at ME with that startled look and white of their eyeballs.. Cowboys didn't like the idea that I was there either. hmmmm I didn't like the idea also, heh.

Finally was able to get moving again! So is there some sort of employment for us to ride around and scare these critters off the roads?

tim lindstrom
95 k1100RS
columbia heights, mn

You hit a deer and didn't get hurt. Man are you lucky!! I've seen what they'll do to a car.

Back