• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS and Mapping Software

HFD190

I have a new Zumo 550 mounted on my RT. I am trying to learn more about sharing files between the Zumo and my PC. I have Delorme Street Atlas 2008 on my PC, and it seems that I should be able to start creating routes and waypoints on the computer and downloading them to the Zumo. The Garmin ownerÔÇÖs manual is really not very helpful with this subject. I have been reading some zumoforums which have been helpful but I havenÔÇÖt really got the big picture yet. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding where I may find some helpful material?

Garmin software...

Call 1-800-800-2010 (Garmin Customer Support) and ask about their mapping software. It's sometimes bundled with Garmin units, sometimes purchased separately.

They're very helpful.

Hey Ross,

I am presenting a seminar at the upcoming Iron Butt Association National Meet on mapping software (comparing delorme, microsoft and garmin) and exchanging data with your GPS.

If you are free on June 7 and want to take a ride over to Northampton, MA with your Zumo. I would like the opportunity to work with you on this as I won't have a Zumo to test on my own until mid July.

IIRC the output of the garmin is fixed to their format that Delorme doesn't handle. Look up a utility called GPS Gate from Franson. It allows you to use one GPS input for multiple programs and it also handles translations. I use it on my Iron Butt Rally bike. While you probably don't need to split the signal it might have the right translation code. I'll check on this for you tomorrow.

I have all this stuff on my laptop and am pretty good with it, all I need to sort it out is a friend with a Zumo. I'll be hanging out in Northampton as I am putting on the Minuteman 1000 so I am a little captive with not much to do.

Best,

Rob Nye

Mapping SW for Zumo

Hey Ross,

Congrats on the Zumo.

For years I have used Street Atlas to plan routes and for calculating the daily stops.

But SA, it is not so friendly to the the Zumo. Yes, you can send a SA route to the Zumo, but you must export the route. (go to Route tab-->select 'New/Edit'-->file-->Export) That puts it in the .gpx format which is the exchange format and then the the Zumo can digest it. And you could Export directly into the Zumo memory if you are connected.

However, when I export the route, I normally bring it into the Mapsource program and carefully check the route. Frequently, there are small differences in the maps used by SA and Garmin (Mapsource or Zumo) and this can result in the dreaded "U-turn when possible". This appears to be the result of the waypoints not being in exactly the same place between SA and Garmin.

Try working with the Mapsource tool as this is 99.9% compatible with the maps in the Zumo. Makes using the Zumo on a route less frustrating--usually.

Ron

Nortonrt, OK IÔÇÖm an idiot! The Map Source CD was bundled in the box with my unit. I guess I must have missed something there! ItÔÇÖs now loaded into the PC and IÔÇÖm doing much better.

Ron, thanks for your info. I have successfully imported and exported back and forth from SA to the zumo, starting to get that figured out.

Rob, sorry I would love to try and get out to MA on the 7th but I will be out of town traveling for work at that time

Thanks again guys for your help!

Back