Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 131

Thread: are you tired of the whining?

  1. #1
    USERNAME
    Guest

    are you tired of the whining?

    i'm tired of people bitching and whining about the volunteers, board members, and paid staff in unfounded ways. it seems that every so often we get folks hinting or accusing these people of being corrupt, or lazy, or being pawns of BMW.

    i think this is part of why people do not volunteer for election or other jobs in our club. i think they think, "i can volunteer my time for the club and take a lot of crap from a bunch of keyboard warriors? it's not worth it."

    what say you? do you think our volunteers, elected officials, and office staff should be treated with respect? or is it ok if people use innuendo to kick them around?

  2. #2
    Registered User WildBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boiling Springs, SC
    Posts
    286
    It's the internet.

    Trolls are everywhere.

    Do I think the volunteers should be treated with respect? Yes.

    I wish that was the case a the car forum I volunteer for. But it's not. There are some that do not have respect for us, and are not afraid to show it.

    It's a pipe dream unless you just ban everyone that complains... but then you will find yourself with an empty play house.

    So in short, unless you like to play alone, yes it is OK.

    Not that I agree with it, but it is fact.

  3. #3
    USERNAME
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    It's the internet.

    Trolls are everywhere.

    Do I think the volunteers should be treated with respect? Yes.

    I wish that was the case a the car forum I volunteer for. But it's not. There are some that do not have respect for us, and are not afraid to show it.

    It's a pipe dream unless you just ban everyone that complains... but then you will find yourself with an empty play house.

    So in short, unless you like to play alone, yes it is OK.

    Not that I agree with it, but it is fact.
    wildblue,

    thanks for your response. i like to use analogies to reason. one that i have is that if i don't take out the trash, it piles up in my kitchen. there are some homes that i have been to (lived in as a student!) where we were not good about taking out the trash and doing the dishes. the kitchens were disgusting and horrible, and people didnt want to be in them. and it's true, if you don't take out the trash from any kitchen, it's going to be disgusting. the world is full of nasty kitchens. i do not want a nasty kitchen.

    there are a few forums i've spent time on (the rounders come to mind) where jerky users are swiftly banned. we take the trash out immediately. we have steadily increasing numbers and nice, respectful, positive discussion. people still disagree on things, but in respectful ways.

    there seems to be a tendency here in the MOA that people think they have "the right" to act abrasive and jerky. it's possible that we err on the side of tolerating too much jerkiness because it doesnt explicitly violate a rule.

    is this how you want your forum to be? or do you want the trash taken out?

  4. #4
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,645
    While I agree with you I fear you have just set the bait in another thread that will lead to complaining.

    Oops I am complaining. Darn self fulfilling prophecies.

  5. #5
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    I wish I'd been to Hawaii.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  6. #6
    Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    wildblue,

    there seems to be a tendency here in the MOA that people think they have "the right" to act abrasive and jerky. it's possible that we err on the side of tolerating too much jerkiness because it doesnt explicitly violate a rule.

    is this how you want your forum to be? or do you want the trash taken out?
    Moderating a forum reminds me a of shirt there used to be for system admins. It said something like "System administration is a dirty job, but someone said I had to do it"

    There are a few who seem to feel that since they have a keyboard and an opinion they can say what they want, when they want about anything and it's their "right". I disagree. This is a forum run by the BMWMOA for it's members and there are guidelines and rules, some of which are left to the interpretation of the moderators. If you don't like the rules then see about changing them or go elsewhere to spout your opinions. Don't complain about the moderators or spin tales of mystical conspiracies. I think if the mods were a little quicker on the trigger we'd have a more civil atmosphere here on the board. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    PS - thanks to all the mods that give of their time! The pay sucks and the benefits are nonexistent and still they plug away.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

  7. #7
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,645
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    I wish I'd been to Hawaii.
    You were! I know because I read it on the internet.

    Thanks to all.

  8. #8
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    You were! I know because I read it on the internet.

    Thanks to all.


    hawaii and alaska are actually the only two states I haven't been to. I've actually ridden in all the rest of them.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  9. #9
    Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Posts
    6,822

    If I don't like the television programming I use this.


    If the content of a thread is irritating - use this.

  10. #10
    Registered User WildBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boiling Springs, SC
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    wildblue,

    thanks for your response. i like to use analogies to reason. one that i have is that if i don't take out the trash, it piles up in my kitchen. there are some homes that i have been to (lived in as a student!) where we were not good about taking out the trash and doing the dishes. the kitchens were disgusting and horrible, and people didn't want to be in them. and it's true, if you don't take out the trash from any kitchen, it's going to be disgusting. the world is full of nasty kitchens. i do not want a nasty kitchen.

    there are a few forums I've spent time on (the rounders come to mind) where jerky users are swiftly banned. we take the trash out immediately. we have steadily increasing numbers and nice, respectful, positive discussion. people still disagree on things, but in respectful ways.

    there seems to be a tendency here in the MOA that people think they have "the right" to act abrasive and jerky. it's possible that we err on the side of tolerating too much jerkiness because it doesn't explicitly violate a rule.

    is this how you want your forum to be? or do you want the trash taken out?

    Don't get me wrong, we by all means take out the trash. I was hinting more around a totalitarian approach, which is not wise.

    The site I Administer, all be it small (2,400+ members) is www.subaru-svx.net and we have a mostly good group. But there are those that skirt the rules closely, knowingly. These type of people are who I was referring to.

    I understand wholeheartedly the "free speech" approach/argument by certain users. We do our best to remind them that "free speech", although encouraged is not guaranteed if it does not fall in line with our family friendly rule set. And the "free speech" is not a reality in what is our private world.

    Believe me I wish I didn't have to take out the trash, but I am not afraid to at all.

    E-Thugs are a problem, they are quickly handled. It's the skirters I worry about, as they are always poking, prodding, and testing your limits.

  11. #11
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,576
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    i'm tired of people bitching and whining about the volunteers, board members, and paid staff in unfounded ways. it seems that every so often we get folks hinting or accusing these people of being corrupt, or lazy, or being pawns of BMW.
    您抱怨!

  12. #12
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post

    E-Thugs are a problem, they are quickly handled. It's the skirters I worry about, as they are always poking, prodding, and testing your limits.
    That's been my experience as well. When they finally do wind up being banned, it usually spawns a never ending "Why was XXX banned?" thread, too.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  13. #13
    Registered User WildBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boiling Springs, SC
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    That's been my experience as well. When they finally do wind up being banned, it usually spawns a never ending "Why was XXX banned?" thread, too.
    Get out of my head...

  14. #14
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    Get out of my head...


    I'd describe that thread as a thread that consists entirely of microscopic drill down on any policies a forum or mod team might have.

    And all it will do is tell you who was friends with the recently departed.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  15. #15
    USERNAME
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    您抱怨!
    dude, are you swearing in chinese?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •