Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: A little Blue Ridge Parkway trip down to the Dragon

  1. #16
    1024JLC
    Guest
    And last, but not least, we left Deal's Gap without making any contributions to the "Tree of Shame"!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #17
    Rally Rat RGVILLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Rural Valley, PA
    Posts
    586

    Thumbs up

    nice ride report! I'll look you up the next time I visit Ted and the three of us can ride.

  3. #18
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,591
    great report... you were down in my neck of the woods.

    if you ever come down again, PM me for some excellent alternatives to the dragon... just as many curves, but no squids.

    ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  4. #19
    1024JLC
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    great report... you were down in my neck of the woods.

    if you ever come down again, PM me for some excellent alternatives to the dragon... just as many curves, but no squids.

    ian
    Thanks Ian, I will take you up on that offer next time I get down your way. Same goes for you should you find yourself in the Delaware/SE Pennsylvania area.

    Rgds,
    Jeff

  5. #20
    Frieden mit uns allen drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    250
    Wonderful pictures and wonderful ride. Thanks for posting. A friend and I have been planning out a trip from Top to Bottom of the BRP and Skyline Drive. This certainly helps to push the desire.

    I am curious, was there anything you wish you had stopped for/at and did not? In other words, what would you have done differently now in hind sight?
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

  6. #21
    1024JLC
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Wonderful pictures and wonderful ride. Thanks for posting. A friend and I have been planning out a trip from Top to Bottom of the BRP and Skyline Drive. This certainly helps to push the desire.

    I am curious, was there anything you wish you had stopped for/at and did not? In other words, what would you have done differently now in hind sight?
    We were pushed a little for time as work schedules were tight on both the front and back end of our trip window; but if we had more time I believe we would have tried to spend a little more time exploring the Southern end (i.e.: grandfather mountain, various water falls, etc.). In the Northern end, maybe Senaca Rocks. In the Southern Central section, Burkes Garden (sp?), the original location Vanderbilt had chosen for his Biltmore estate before building in Ashville. As I understand, pertty much one way in/out to this mountain valley, but supposed to be a beautiful area.

    I am sure you will have a great ride, and will be wanting to do it again soon.

  7. #22
    Seeking Mental Floss
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    2,997
    I grew up in Brevard, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Pisgah National Forest. Lots to do and see in that area, would suggest it as an alternative to Asheville if you need to overnight in the area. Also would recommend the Cherohala Skyway if you get a chance to visit again. And, as Ian said, there are lots better roads than the Dragon. Thanks so much for the memories.....it's a long way from San Antonio.

  8. #23
    Rodney Aiken Ctrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vernon CT
    Posts
    215
    Nice report. We're going in July and can't wait.
    What other roads would everyone suggest other then the "Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway? I did it last year in the rain. It was actually nice, no squids and no LEO's but I'd like to try somewhere else.

  9. #24
    1024JLC
    Guest
    One parting shot of my run on the Dragon.....what a blast!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #25
    GSMoto31 mtfrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL and Maggie Valley, NC
    Posts
    113

    Alternatives to the Dragon..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ctrod View Post
    Nice report. We're going in July and can't wait.
    What other roads would everyone suggest other then the "Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway? I did it last year in the rain. It was actually nice, no squids and no LEO's but I'd like to try somewhere else.
    Some of my favorites include:

    Rt. 209 from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs
    Rt. 28 from Nantahalla to Franklin
    Rt. 276 from Waynesville to Brevard
    Rt 74A from Asheville to Lake Lure
    Rt 63 from Asheville to Spring Creek

    All of these will wear your tires even and put a nice smile on your face. I could go on and on. Enjoy!
    2009 R1200R (Commuting)
    2008 R1200GSA (Touring)
    2009 R1200GS (Mountains)

  11. #26
    GSMoto31 mtfrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL and Maggie Valley, NC
    Posts
    113

    AutoTrain

    "My buddy, Steve, lives in South Florida so he rode his bike from Ft. Lauderdale to Sanford, FL and boarded himself and his bike (04' R1150R) on the AutoTrain on Sunday afternoon."

    Could you share your likes and dislikes about the AutoTrain experience? I have a business trip in NY in a few weeks and was thinking of using the AutoTrain to avoid slabbing along on Rt. 95. I travel 95 all the time on my bike and would prefer to have more days available for touring in rural PA and NY. Thanks for any info you can offer.
    2009 R1200R (Commuting)
    2008 R1200GSA (Touring)
    2009 R1200GS (Mountains)

  12. #27
    1024JLC
    Guest
    My friends comments were as follows:

    1) Right now, at this time of year, rates are high heading north, so he only bought a coach seat. He originally wanted a small sleeper roomette, but they wanted another $300 - $400 additional.

    2) Do not take/get a seat in a car that is next to the dining car as there are 3 seatings for dinner and breakfast, and there will be a constant parade of gray/white hair with walkers and canes ambling by most of the evening and morning.

    3) Food was good!

    4) Take an IPod, a DVD player or some other form of entertainment to avoid listening to the people verbalize every little thing that pops in their heads.

    5) He managed to get some sleep through the night, but a sleeper car with a small bathroom would have been really nice.

    I guess it depends on the time of year and the direction you are heading as to how affordable the sleeper car can be.

    Everything said and done, he was glad he took the train as it gave him an extra 2-days of riding back home at a more relaxed pace.

  13. #28
    GSMoto31 mtfrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL and Maggie Valley, NC
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by 1024JLC View Post
    My friends comments were as follows:

    1) Right now, at this time of year, rates are high heading north, so he only bought a coach seat. He originally wanted a small sleeper roomette, but they wanted another $300 - $400 additional.

    2) Do not take/get a seat in a car that is next to the dining car as there are 3 seatings for dinner and breakfast, and there will be a constant parade of gray/white hair with walkers and canes ambling by most of the evening and morning.

    3) Food was good!

    4) Take an IPod, a DVD player or some other form of entertainment to avoid listening to the people verbalize every little thing that pops in their heads.

    5) He managed to get some sleep through the night, but a sleeper car with a small bathroom would have been really nice.

    I guess it depends on the time of year and the direction you are heading as to how affordable the sleeper car can be.

    Everything said and done, he was glad he took the train as it gave him an extra 2-days of riding back home at a more relaxed pace.

    Very useful and appreciated information! Since you didn't mention anything about the bike, I assume everything worked out well in terms of storage, safety, ease of loading/unloading, etc.
    2009 R1200R (Commuting)
    2008 R1200GSA (Touring)
    2009 R1200GS (Mountains)

  14. #29
    1024JLC
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfrench View Post
    "My buddy, Steve, lives in South Florida so he rode his bike from Ft. Lauderdale to Sanford, FL and boarded himself and his bike (04' R1150R) on the AutoTrain on Sunday afternoon."

    Could you share your likes and dislikes about the AutoTrain experience? I have a business trip in NY in a few weeks and was thinking of using the AutoTrain to avoid slabbing along on Rt. 95. I travel 95 all the time on my bike and would prefer to have more days available for touring in rural PA and NY. Thanks for any info you can offer.
    If you want some additional info, send me a PM and I put you in direct contact with my buddy. He lives in Coral Springs.

  15. #30
    Rodney Aiken Ctrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vernon CT
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfrench View Post
    Some of my favorites include:

    Rt. 209 from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs
    Rt. 28 from Nantahalla to Franklin
    Rt. 276 from Waynesville to Brevard
    Rt 74A from Asheville to Lake Lure
    Rt 63 from Asheville to Spring Creek

    All of these will wear your tires even and put a nice smile on your face. I could go on and on. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the info. I'm counting the days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •