• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hot Weather Gear What Do You Wear

I'm very comfortable in my RevIt Air jacket and RevIt Mistral pants.

To mesh or not to mesh, that is the question

I find that in humid heat, mesh is a must even for long rides. Two days ago I rode home from eastern Oklahoma to the Dallas area. 4.5 Hours on the road, mostly in 90-96F. I was miserable in my new Olympia Recon jacket (even with all the vents open and the cuffs loose instead of inside the gauntlets) and Maverick pants. Mesh is warm too, but moisture doesn't build up underneath and what little evaporation is possible in humid climes (slim to none in my experience) has a chance to work.
I wear a mesh suit (Cortech jacket/Marsee pants) in summer but what goes with it has undergone some tweaking over the years. Sometimes I'll wear synthetic shorts/T underneath, but on the trip to West Bend I found that a long-sleeve wicking shirt was an improvement, and one reason was that the silky-textured nylon fabric that lines the sleeves of the jacket no longer stuck to my sweaty skin. Also, the shirt improved the evaporation over what I had experienced with the synthetic T before. The downside was that things got considerably warmer during stops, but I lived with it- after all, either way I was in for sweaty days.
I did not replace the shorts with long wicking underwear though because the airflow around my legs was significantly less than around my upper half, even though I rode an unfaired bike. I tried long stuff on both halves in test-rides early in the summer to figure this out.
Mesh gloves have been a great improvement too, especially if they are NOT black.
Good moisture-wicking socks have made my Prexport boots bearable in summer. I typically wear some summer-hiking Ultimax socks I got from REI.

Hot Weather Attire...

I rode 10,000+ miles last summer 2-up and went through all kinds of weather. My wife and I wore Olympias Hi-Viz armored summer Jackets, that had all kinds of vents: chest, arms, back. The inner liner was removed. When it rained in cooler climates then the liner was added. Should it rain in hotter climates then the jacket was used as is: getting wet....eventually riding out of the rain will quickly dry the suit. We do carry cool-max vests but haven't found the need to use it yet. While on the "move" hot weather doesn't seem to bother us too much. The winds while riding pretty much remove standing heat, although we do stop and replendish ourselves with liquids as others said rapid dehydration occurs while riding. We do not ride in "open" mesh even though it is armored. Too much sun exposure and moisture loss. Rode through 110 heat desert on the way to Big Bend Natn'l Park. It was hot and dry but bearable.
Our slacks were armoured BMW summer pants. I also ride in a BMW Rallye Pro2 Jacket when I ride to both extremes; North and South. I find the all around seasonal Jacket excellent in multiseason purpose, but the liner, although water resistant is very poor in insulating the cold. I double up using the Olympia liner or Gerbings heated full neck liner jacket. Ventilation flow through is excellent with the Rallye Pro2. YOU must open the rear, which most people forget...in order to have a great flow through. In regard to head gear: All full face helmets were designed pretty much for NO windshield or minimal windshield thus the vents on the helmets. With a motorcycle windshield almost all full face helmets are useless for ventilation due to blockage of the wind in your face by the windshield. Any BMW motorcycle that has the electronic adjustable windshield is a GREAT way to have more wind blast to your helmet and cool your hot head! We rode in a R1200 RT.....
Good luck and improvise...stop and replendish...cool off in the shade....leave at cooler hours....ride in the rain....

Some of you will no doubt think this is a stupid question but ... What do you wear under mesh pants????

One word sums it up....Commando :dance

Actually, after sweating my way home through Iowa and NE last year I'm looking for a better solution and am looking seriously at the Olympia Recon 2 mesh pants.

Over in ADVrider some have mentioned LD Comfort underwear. Does anyone know where to obtain these? For me comfort has a lot to do with managing the jewels properly... even to the extent of paying attention to location of seams in underwear.

thx...

Over in ADVrider some have mentioned LD Comfort underwear. Does anyone know where to obtain these? For me comfort has a lot to do with managing the jewels properly... even to the extent of paying attention to location of seams in underwear.

Hmmmm....stange place to keep you "jewels":stick

The shorts you may have heard about are the LD Comfort shorts.
http://www.ldcomfort.com/

I know Grass Roots BMW distributes them, as well as several other dealers.

Good luck with that!

Back