• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

DC to Indy??

C

crgrbrts

My wife and I are taking our Beemers to the Red Bull MotoGP in September and would like a nice non-superslab route from the Washington, DC area to Indianapolis. Any suggestions, please?

I've ridden parts but not too much. The old national Rt 40 is supposed to be interesting, it parallels Interstate 70. Not sure how far east it goes....check a map. Or you could set avoids to not do interstates and see where it routes you... :cool::heart

do you use mapsource? I selected Dulles and Downtown indy and set avoids to prefer small roads... (avoid interstates) and it gives me 560 miles and about 14 hours at lower speeds..... most mapping software should do the same thing.

Rout to DC

I am planning a trip to DC to see my son. From Terre Haute I was looking at using IN-46 to Columbus, then IN -7 to US 50 to Cincinnati then take in OH 52 along the Ohio River to Portsmouth. Then angle up to Parkersburg WV. Then resume 50 across to DC. It looks like a senic ride, but may take a couple of days. Let me know if you find a good route from DC to Indy. Welcome to the Hoosier State

Route to Indy

Rt 50 across Va is o.k., but do not miss the Triple Nickel in Ohio. Also consider going thru Kentucky and comeing up thru Madison, Indiana, they North Vernon and then Indy.

Just rode Columbus to DC

I just rode from Columbus, Ohio to DC and back this week.

Several highlights: Just East of Washington PA on 40 is this little hole in the wall called the Kopper Kettle. Probably the best Roast Beef sandwich I have ever had in my life. Don't let the "No Colors" sign on the front door scare you, the locals are friendly.

The stretch of 50 between Clarksburg WV and Keyser WV has some great twisties, which are great if you are not in a hurry. They were good enough that I did not care I was in a hurry... :)

DC Rush hour runs from 3-7, and it sucks. The infrastructure in place does not support the traffic load. 495 going in at 1700 hrs on Tuesday was combat riding. Leaving on Thursday at 1600 I tried to escape by running out 50, which was a huge mistake. 2 hours to go 20 miles. Next time I will be in or out by 1500.

Best of luck. tsnewberry166 at yahoodotcom

Tsnewberry

I just rode from Columbus, Ohio to DC and back this week.

Several highlights: Just East of Washington PA on 40 is this little hole in the wall called the Kopper Kettle. Probably the best Roast Beef sandwich I have ever had in my life. Don't let the "No Colors" sign on the front door scare you, the locals are friendly.

The stretch of 50 between Clarksburg WV and Keyser WV has some great twisties, which are great if you are not in a hurry. They were good enough that I did not care I was in a hurry... :)

DC Rush hour runs from 3-7, and it sucks. The infrastructure in place does not support the traffic load. 495 going in at 1700 hrs on Tuesday was combat riding. Leaving on Thursday at 1600 I tried to escape by running out 50, which was a huge mistake. 2 hours to go 20 miles. Next time I will be in or out by 1500.

Best of luck. tsnewberry166 at yahoodotcom

Thanks for the insight on roads and DC traffic.

Many thanks for the great tips -- including the eatery and scenery recommendations.

I'm originally from Indiana (South Bend) and still have relatives here and there, so the journey to Indy will probably include a couple of "Wander Indiana" side trips to such exotic destinations as LaPorte, Wanatah, Bourbon and Crown Point. I must say, it'll be great to escape the aforementioned DC traffic hell for a few days.

Thanks again

Back