• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hot Feet in Summer?

R

randyracer

While the BMW cylinders make great foot-warmers in the cold, in summer my feet get toasted, don't yours? Has anyone heard of a small fairing to go behind the cylinders to deflect heat from the feet in hot weather? I ride a GS 1200, and switch to sneakers for survival in the heat. This must be a common problem for BMW riders, yes? Thanks, Randy

Never noticed it to be honest with you. Of course, I don't wear sneakers on the bike, either.

I always wear boots and find that they keep my feet from getting TOO warm in the summer. My theory is that they insulate my feet from the hot air off the cylinders.
Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

I don't notice heat to my feet on the GS at all. I sure did on my old R80RT, but not on this bike.

I wear smartwool socks and boots year round. They're not tucked behind boxer jugs, but I seldom feel overheated.

Thanks, Responders

Thank you very much, BMW friends. I'll look for the fairings. Maybe my boots are just too well insulated for summer, period. I'm surprised more riders do not mention this issue. I found it cooler to put my feet on the cylinders, even, however it was a warm summer out West two years ago. Did 2000 mile ride on 1150 GS rented from Chris at San Jose BMW, great guy and store.

Randy

Foot deflectors

Found them at Wunderlich, thank you Alex Globalrider. They are meant to deflect rain/wind/weather from the feet. Do not look like they'd be much help with cylinder heat, however. Thanks very much for the lead, Alex.

Randy

Did 2000 mile ride on 1150 GS rented from Chris at San Jose BMW, great guy and store.

Randy

Hey - you rode the "mileage queen"! I rented that bike from Chris last September and rode it over to the Reno Air Races. Here it is somewhere around Kirkwood at the top of the Sierra. I think it had about 115K on it last Fall:

195671637_4DAt8-M.jpg

I use the BMW airflow 2 boots in 90 ~ 100 degree weather and my feet are always comfortable and cool. They are also quite good to walk in as well.

I've never gotten heat from the cylinders. Ever. My guess is that it ain't the cylinder heads making your feet hot. When my feet are hot its because its fargin' hot outside.

My advice is to try some boots that allow airflow. I wear Oxtar (now TCX) Air Tech XCR boots for summer riding. At $200+ they're not cheap. They're made with a tightly woven fiber that lets a lot of air through. But they're GoreTex lined so the feet stay dry, too. Don't ask me how that all works, but it does: air gets through but rain does not. They're not as soft as an all leather boot, but certainly comfortable enough for walking around and all day wear. They're an excellent summer boot.

Last edited:
cyl heat

I only have 15 yrs on BMW's - many on this forum have double that - and no, cyl heat is not a problem for me on me feets....

Except if it is 100 or more, then I do feel a bit, but warm feet would be the least of my problems on such a day.

I've never gotten heat from the cylinders. Ever. My guess is that it ain't the cylinder heads making your feet hot. When my feet are hot its because its fargin' hot outside.

My advice is to try some boots that allow airflow. I wear Oxtar (now TCX) Air Tech XCR boots for summer riding. At $200+ they're not cheap. They're made with a tightly woven fiber that lets a lot of air through. But they're GoreTex lined so the feet stay dry, too. Don't ask me how that all works, but it does: air gets through but rain does not. They're not as soft as an all leather boot, but certainly comfortable enough for walking around and all day wear. They're an excellent summer boot.

Great to hear! My Oxtar Jupiter 2 xcr boots are supposed to arrive tomorrow. They're the just-over-the-ankle-lace-up style, but certainly seem more protective than gym shoes or the like. And they have a heel. I hate not having a heel to hook on my pegs. And I found them on-line at several places as close-outs. I may have gotten the last size 43 (US sz 10) in the known universe, but pro'ly not, if anyone's interested.

But trust me, on a fully faired bike, like my RS, when you're stuck in rush hour traffic and it's 90+ degrees and 90% humidity, those cylinders aren't helping the cool-osity of the situation.

If it ever gets warm in Illinois again, I'll report back. As it stands today, electrics are still in order here.

Great to hear! My Oxtar Jupiter 2 xcr boots are supposed to arrive tomorrow. They're the just-over-the-ankle-lace-up style, but certainly seem more protective than gym shoes or the like. And they have a heel. I hate not having a heel to hook on my pegs. And I found them on-line at several places as close-outs. I may have gotten the last size 43 (US sz 10) in the known universe, but pro'ly not, if anyone's interested.

But trust me, on a fully faired bike, like my RS, when you're stuck in rush hour traffic and it's 90+ degrees and 90% humidity, those cylinders aren't helping the cool-osity of the situation.

If it ever gets warm in Illinois again, I'll report back. As it stands today, electrics are still in order here.
I hope they work out for you. I wonder if "XCR" stands for the type of fiber weave that makes the boots? Mine sound more "traditional" than yours. They are higher with armor on the shin and ankles, and they close with velcro. Here's a pic of my boots from newenough:

Default.jpg

And of yours, also from newenough:

TCX-Jupiter2-GTX.jpg

From the other pics on newenough.com the soles of the two boots appear identical. I probably have 6-8,000 miles on the Oxtars and the sole has worn well and seems like it'll last for at least several good summer seasons of hard riding. Oxtar (who had to change their name to TCX) makes one heckuva product, IMHO. Good luck with them, and write a little review after you've put a few miles on 'em.

new spoons!

The boots just came in the mail! woo-hoo! The fit is dandy. I usually wear a 10 in US sizes and the 43 seems perfect. I think they're gonna be a good compromise btw the safety of "real" mc boots and the comfort of gymers. The toe box is a little pointy for my taste, but maybe the design is to help slip your toe under the shifter. They seem fairly supportive. Not exactly a steel-toe boot, but pretty firm where it's likely to count. The velcro flap covers the laces just fine so they shouldn't get caught on the carbs or controls. They're cut a good bit higher in the front, at the tongue above the instep where stuff is more likely to whack you.

So much of my riding is a rush hour commute. Sometimes an hour to go the 11 miles downtown. I just had to find some cooler gear. When it's that hot, even tho' I know I could go for a fun late nite ride after work, I often take the cage because it's not just hot...it's "Sofa King Hot!" in the stop and go traffic.

Now I'm gonna go put some nifty venting slits in my cheap($16) Home Depot deerskin gloves

Back