• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rocky Mountain 'Ohlins' test run...

M

mikeod

A bit of background is in order. I have a 2003 BMW R1150RT with just at 40,000 miles on the bike. Most of those miles (>65%) have been from long trips around the beautiful states of Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah (we're blessed to live in an area of the country with such fine roads and scenery, (albeit the weather could be more cooperative at times!). I would classify myself as more a 'touring sport' rider versus a 'sport touring' (i.e. more emphasis on the touring side). A heavy, long-wheel based bike with Metzler ME880's on our mountain roads (with sand still in some of the turns) I'm certain I wasn't going to push the Ohlin's capabilities as if I were riding a short-wheel based 600cc sport bike with track tires at Miller Motor Sport Park.

I received the Ohlin's from Dan Kyle racing after a short but important interview about what bike, riding style, weight, etc. This is an important part of moving to new after market shocks (no matter what kind you get). It provides a way to get the proper springs assembled for your bike and riding style. From a maintenance perspective, I had an opportune time to install the new 'suspenders'. First the front Ohlin's shock...

292710783_nYXYw-M.jpg

With a little help from a friend installation was a snap. He's got Works shocks on his RT and has this procedure down to a simple art. He helped do some measurements as well.

292710782_tJZr8-M.jpg

And after arrival of the rear suspension... (no picture of it installed...not really much more involved there either).

292710788_G5Lih-M.jpg

After install, I dropped in to a local shop that advertised they did suspension set-ups. For those of you in the Denver area, it's SuperTune Motorsports and information can be found here..

Mike at Supertune took the time to explain the importance of a proper setup and proceeded to measure sag and ride height. The first thing he noted was the imbalance between front and rear of the bike (i.e. back was tending to bounce a bit after the front). After some adjustments to the ride height on the front and back, next was rebound damping. Based on my riding style he dialed in an extra click on the front and rear. Mike recorded the base settings, and the new ones, documented these and included them in a very nice write up he put together with very detailed information on trouble-shooting suspension problems. Well worth the money.

So...on to the ride tale. Spring time in our Rockies can be fickle, what with nice 70deg days followed by snow. Well the twisty roads were callin' and I now had about 1000 miles on the bike with the new suspenders so it was time to give them MY proper workout (remember, these are public roads, and this was NOT to be a pseudo track day!). I headed south to familiar territory... South Park. Along the way (US285)

292710790_boVew-M.jpg

And a spot I've passed MANY times but never bothered to photograph. This is Camp Santa Maria with a statue on the mountain. It's run by the YMCA (I'm pretty sure, since there is a sign out front indicating as much, but beyond driving by, I've never stopped in).

292710792_zCRxR-M.jpg

My measure of summer in our Rockies is when Mother Nature tells the aspen it's ok to start sprouting leaves. As you can see in this picture, the trees at 10,000ft. are still bare...It's still winter up here.

292710797_vTVyG-M.jpg

An obligatory shot at the top of Kenosha Pass...I'm still in awe every time I start the ride down into Jefferson.

292710801_Lny58-M.jpg

292710804_mrqhA-M.jpg

I really hadn't approached the area where I wanted to ring out the new Ohlins yet, but I'm getting close. I head further south to Fairplay and the wind is blowing pretty good from the west. With temps in the 40's, I've got the heated jacket on low. I streak east across US24 towards Colorado Springs. At the top of Wilkerson Pass, the road below is US24 (where I had just ridden from). In the background are visible Mt. Sherman, Mt. Lincoln, Mt. Silverheels to name a few.

292710808_CVDQR-L.jpg

A few miles further east and I spot Pikes Peak towering above everything else in the background. I'm beginning to drop in elevation, so the temps are starting to rise the the wind dropping.

292710810_6v2MW-L.jpg

And then I spot this in the little town of Lake George..."Pure Gas Kerosene Shakes". What the ???

292710812_9tmkv-L.jpg

292710811_LqyXz-L.jpg

Well, I wonder if they include 'non-flammable drinking straws'. I should have stopped in to order a large one, but...my goal is still to find the twist roads to test these Ohlins.

At Woodland Park I head back northwest towards Deckers. Along the way I stop and snap this photo. Folks, please, oh please be careful with fire in our Mountains. The damage from this blaze consumed 1000's of acres.

292710817_utNQ5-L.jpg

I'm in my stride on this road. Finally, a long stretch of very lightly traveled road so I can concentrate on the ride and attempt to understand the differences in this suspension versus the worn out stock Showa suspenders of old. Here the temps are very comfortable.

292710826_ggRwL-S.jpg

And the views spectacular...'nuf said.

292710824_Edtv5-L.jpg

But the reason I'm on this road is the stretches of twisty asphalt that lay ahead. As you can see here, I about had this place to myself.

292710829_cQBmC-L.jpg

So... The Ohlins verdict. The bike felt very balanced and I noticed far less undulations as I rode over worn portions of the asphalt. Turn-in felt a bit quicker (a bit more oversteer) than I had noticed before. I'm not sure if there isn't a bit more tweeking that has to be done on the ride height. As for rebound, what an improvement! The bike felt far more settled without the oscillations apparent after riding over bumps in the road. It does feel a bit more harsh, however. I'm certain this is in part due to the stiffer springs, but I'll also play around a bit more with the rear pre-load adjustment on another run on this road next week. As for rebound adjustment, it 'feels' right at the moment, but I'm going to read Mike's (at Supertune) writeup again, and toy around with those adjustments to feel the differences.

I didn't race down this road as my goal was to assess the Ohlin's for improvement. As a final thought, I'd sum it up this way: The addition of good suspension components inspires more confidence in my ability to sense how the bike is reacting to my input and external forces on the bike itself. I'm not riding any faster, but I felt my 'driving' input had better feedback. This is still a big touring bike, but with these Ohlins the bike is more balanced on front and rear springs, and now has damping adjustments that control the energy transfer for differing conditions. I feel more in touch with predictable handling characteristics, and I now know better how the bike responds at corner entry (off throttle & brakes), max lean and loading (apex), and corner exit (on throttle). Money well spent.

I finished off my ride at a leisurely pace, and snapped a few more spring photos along the way. At this part of the South Platte river, you can see the water has begun to rise from the spring run-off that has started.

292710833_58An9-L.jpg

292710837_fT26V-L.jpg

Another beautiful day in my backyard. I'm lucky to have such a fantastic riding environment just a gallon of gas away. Folks if you get up this direction, I'd be happy to take you on a tour. I'd love to share the area with you. And next week, I'm taking my new rod and reel with me to test it as well. Here fishy...fishy...

292710845_9tCAY-L.jpg

Until the next time...

292710842_mdsPa-L.jpg

So, if you're thinking those old Showa shocks feel a bit sloppy, or you weren't really as comfortable throttling up out of the last turn, borrow someone else's bike with a good set of Ohlin's on them and experience the difference...

Regards,

Mike O

Nice report Mike.

Sure enjoyed the pictures. Never get tired of seeing South Park pictures. BTW I picked up a copy of Bayou Salado for less than $7, delivered to my front door.

Hey Mike,

Great review and great pictures. I am about to push the button on new shocks and I'm trying to decide between all of the shocks that Bubba wants for free (he'll pay for shipping) Wilbers, Ohlins, Hypro. I think the moral of the story is that whatever shocks you put on, your ride is going to improve considerably...

As far as fishing in the South Park, Deckers, Buena Vista areas go. I'm pretty familiar. The Mothers day hatch is happening on the Arkansas. Thats the ticket right now. I usually come out 4 or 5 times a year to fish with my high school chum from Woodland Park. Maybe we'll catch you on the river. With all the snow melt the South Platte might not be fishable until July

Hey Mike, Fantastic images of our neighborhood! I even know that place in Lake George with the kerosene shakes! Have had lunch there a couple of times on the picnic table on the deck. Thanks for the report.

Steve

Nice report Mike.

Sure enjoyed the pictures. Never get tired of seeing South Park pictures. BTW I picked up a copy of Bayou Salado for less than $7, delivered to my front door.
Hey Bud...

It's an interesting read. South Park has an interesting history from Indian settlement, to mining (silver rush) and rail roads. That book is a quick easy read.

Hope you're healing well.

Mike O

Hey Mike,

Great review and great pictures. I am about to push the button on new shocks and I'm trying to decide between all of the shocks that Bubba wants for free (he'll pay for shipping) Wilbers, Ohlins, Hypro. I think the moral of the story is that whatever shocks you put on, your ride is going to improve considerably...
I went through a bit of research and I read time and time again, how the wonderful BMW motorcycles had a shortcoming that was evidenced by addition of good shocks. I'd read good things about Ohlins, Wilbers, and Works (the Hypros are newcomers)

As far as fishing in the South Park, Deckers, Buena Vista areas go. I'm pretty familiar. The Mothers day hatch is happening on the Arkansas. Thats the ticket right now. I usually come out 4 or 5 times a year to fish with my high school chum from Woodland Park. Maybe we'll catch you on the river. With all the snow melt the South Platte might not be fishable until July
The South Platte is running pretty fast in spots, and I'm inclined to try Spiney Reservoir (near Woodland Park). This is my new rig:

288133085_acjQh-M.jpg

I have to find a smaller rod though.

Mike O

Back