• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

let's cut down the wind! R1150R windscreen

P

pugetmarco

I'm looking for advice on windscreens to help cut down the wind on a 2002 R1150R I just recently acquired. I currently have a Givi screen - looks cool, about 12 in tall, but since I'm 6 ft 4 in, I need something a bit taller!

Has anyone had success dealing with a similar experience? What products provide solid functionality and look good too? Givi? Cee Bailey? MRA? anything else?

Thank for your suggestions

I had a tall Parabellum windscreen on my old 1150R - I am not as tall as you are but this screen gave a lot of protection to this naked bike. Here is a pic - sorry it doesn't show the windscreen very well but I don't have many pics of that bike. Of course - the real solution to this problem is to consider an RT. Good luck!

14303738_QFvA5-M.jpg

Link to Parabellum

windscreen for R1150R

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into Parabellum. It should be a less expensive solution to the problem than an RT!

Parabellum

I went with a Parabellum Scout and when I talked with them they asked me how tall I am. I'm 6'4" as well. They made the windshield an inch taller than the tallest they make. It works very well.

Be prepared. It's about $750.

Touring Screen was not for me.

That is what I started with. Installed at the dealer. The wind buffeting was so bad I couldn't stand it. Tried the laminer lip and it helped some. Just my $.02.

I am positive the 4 inches makes all the difference in the world, especially considering an inch or two in pegs or bar backs make as big of a difference as they do...

I actually went in the opposite direction for the same problem. I am only 5'10", but...

The BMW "sport" screen was mounted when I bought the bike. I had very nasty buffeting at 70+ mph that was literally giving me a headache. I had to go either taller or shorter. I couldn't get over the looks of the touring screen (which I had access to one for free), so I picked up the BMW fly screen and have been very happy with it.

It is tall enough to get the wind off my chest, but short enough to get my helmet in clean air. My father also really likes the fly screen on his 1150R and he is 6'2".

I just put on a Parabellum 21 inch screen, ok but not great once over 50mph there is alot of wind buffeting. Then I added a Laminar Lip, which raised up the upper lip by 1.5-2". Helped cut down the wind buffeting but does not eliminate it. I am 6'2" with a 32 inseam. I will take a pic once the weather breaks. I bought the screen used on Ebay, I know I shou;d have looked for a 23". But this was the easy way out.....I think! Forgot, I sit on a wool but pad with beads on top. This probably raises me an inch or so.

Goodluck

Attachments

• DSCN0022.jpg
    DSCN0022.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 11,579
Last edited:
am I feeling lucky?

So I bought the BMW high seat (usually found on Rocksters) which helps my knees some (I'm 6 ft 4 in, 35-36 in inseam). Next week I'm having installed the BMW OEM 20 in touring screen and some Verholen bar stem risers. Hopefully all will work together harmoniously...
:D

As you can see, there are lots of opinions on windscreens for this bike. They are all a compromise, and it is hard to do an apples-to-apples comparison because they are costly, they are difficult to install, and some use different mounting brackets. Also, getting input from other people is only somewhat helpful because they are different sizes, have different riding positions, and ride at different speeds.

I have tried the BMW fly screen, BMW touring screen (with and without the Laminar Lip), and MRA Vario screen. The fly screen is the best looking but does not offer much protection. The MRA screen looks good, too, but the wind flow was not right for me. I am currently using the touring screen, without the lip -- that is the best for me.

The MRA Vario screen
166404192_y2Hh6-M.jpg

The touring screen
119558760_6C5FA-M.jpg

As you can see, there are lots of opinions on windscreens for this bike. They are all a compromise, and it is hard to do an apples-to-apples comparison because they are costly, they are difficult to install, and some use different mounting brackets. Also, getting input from other people is only somewhat helpful because they are different sizes, have different riding positions, and ride at different speeds.

I have tried the BMW fly screen, BMW touring screen (with and without the Laminar Lip), and MRA Vario screen. The fly screen is the best looking but does not offer much protection. The MRA screen looks good, too, but the wind flow was not right for me. I am currently using the touring screen, without the lip -- that is the best for me.

The MRA Vario screen
166404192_y2Hh6-M.jpg

The touring screen
119558760_6C5FA-M.jpg

Please share with me your aux lighting solution!

I currently have Motolights mounted on the fork with 50 watt yellow bulbs -- these are great for conspicuity and also for filling in along the edges of the roads (e.g. to see deer).

I recently added Hella Optilux 2500's with 50 watt H3 bulbs that are wired to just come on with the high beam. These help me to see farther down the road than the motolights or the headlight.

In addition, I upgraded the headlight bulb to 90/100 watt with two relays.

275041254_8gy6T-M.jpg

I currently have Motolights mounted on the fork with 50 watt yellow bulbs -- these are great for conspicuity and also for filling in along the edges of the roads (e.g. to see deer).

I recently added Hella Optilux 2500's with 50 watt H3 bulbs that are wired to just come on with the high beam. These help me to see farther down the road than the motolights or the headlight.

In addition, I upgraded the headlight bulb to 90/100 watt with two relays.

275041254_8gy6T-M.jpg

OK, so the lower lights are the Moto Lights nad the Hella's are the larger ones near the headlights?

Thanks in advance.

I like the Motolight on the lower forks, its a night setup!

I too need a taller screen. I'm 5'11" and have the BMW touring screen. It's 20 in. in length but it funnels every *@#%^&! bug into my open visor. :banghead Even if I just crack it open a little! So I'm looking into a Parabellum Sport Fairing. I like the way they look and they have tall screen options. Not sure how tall the screen should be though. :scratch I've heard that it should be just below your eyes. :dunno I just want to be sure that every bug on the planet doesn't smack me in the face!! :uhoh

I too need a taller screen. I'm 5'11" and have the BMW touring screen. It's 20 in. in length but it funnels every *@#%^&! bug into my open visor. :banghead Even if I just crack it open a little! So I'm looking into a Parabellum Sport Fairing. I like the way they look and they have tall screen options. Not sure how tall the screen should be though. :scratch I've heard that it should be just below your eyes. :dunno I just want to be sure that every bug on the planet doesn't smack me in the face!! :uhoh

That's odd indeed. As I am within an inch of your height (six feet) and do not have that issue, at all.

I wonder what the big differences are... I am mostly long torso and short legs, too...

I did install some bar backs that helped me sit a little more upright. But even before that it was to low.

Yes, I use the R1150R site a lot. It is also a good place for info.

Back