• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BYOS Whats UP With This

Even though I've done plenty of camping in open, bright, and often coastal (read "white sand"), the pics of the Cam Plex show zero shady areas.

And because fo that, I'm ordering a lightweight tarp very soon to add to my camping kit - probably the Kelty Noah Tarp. Very similar to the MSR Parawing shown in a post above.

I've got the Kelty Tarp; it's a poor man's parawing. The problem with this class of shade device is that it's entertaining (for others) if one tries to pitch it solo particularly if there is anything more than a mild breeze. If I were to do it again, I would probably get a Kelty Sun Shade. It doesn't pack down as small as a Parawing or a Noah Tarp, but they sure go up easier.

Shade at a rally is over rated. I seldom spend time near my tent during the day. I'm either riding or at the vendors who have conveniently provided shade for me and my wallet.
:p

How small does the parawing break down to and how do you pack it on your bike.

the wing folds and the poles collapse (they are shock-corded, like tent poles). everything rolls up to about the size of a small tent.

i usually put mine in the saddlebag, along with the tent, but one could easily place it in a duffle along with tent and other stuff and strap it to the bike.

ian

How small does the parawing break down to and how do you pack it on your bike.
I figure that most who bring such a thing also are packing a tent and sleeping bag.

My wife does not want to do the 1000 miles form of home so she is going to be flying in on Thursday. I guess I could fill her spot with stuff!! I have never have packed for this kind of trip it going to be fun.

If you can get by the ADV Salute the red bag on the right pannier is the parawing.

291765252_UQgQQ-M.jpg

On this trip I had my two man tent, sleeping bag, thermarest and kermit chair in the dry bag. I would have easily gotten it all on the rack if I didn't have to carry the briefcase but such is the joy of being on call 24/7/365.

Your wife will love the shade. You can also UPS to and from the rally site.

Camplex makes up for the lack of mature greenery by having a multiitude, a regular plethora of buildings, over hangs, grandstands and stuff to get out of the sun. The difference in WYO from so many areas is that even though the sun may be bright, there is ZERO humidity unlike where I live (MN) and other areas of the country where we all suffer under the heavy hand of the dreaded airborne moisture of HUMIDITY. I can't wait!

Shade at a rally is over rated. I seldom spend time near my tent during the day. I'm either riding or at the vendors who have conveniently provided shade for me and my wallet.
:p

There is much wisdom in this statement.

I got my wing because I have a histroical problem with heat and I have also had issues with skin cancer.

I wanted to be absolutely positively certain that no matter where I camped I could have a shady spot to sit and an icy beverage to sip. Plus when guys like Mr. 83869:)stick :p ) wander by looking a little peaked I can offer him a spot for a minute or two.

Good points, RobNye, regarding relfective guylines and pegs. I'm usually the first one to trip over my own lines.

And I'm also one of those folks who has contributed several Mercedes and BMW payments to a couple of dermatologists. So a good tarp will reward me on every camping trip - but the Rally is the catalyst to actually get off the wallet and buy one.

There is much wisdom in this statement.
Then I must have plagarized it. My friends tell me that "wisdom" and "statements" never coexist while participating in a conversation with me.
:D

I got my wing because I have a histroical problem with heat and I have also had issues with skin cancer.
Two great reasons. Also a good reason for packing fluids. I usually walk around with my Camelback filled with 50/50 (water and Gatorade powder).

I wanted to be absolutely positively certain that no matter where I camped I could have a shady spot to sit and an icy beverage to sip. Plus when guys like Mr. 83869:)stick :p ) wander by looking a little peaked I can offer him a spot for a minute or two.
Is that an invitation?:p If so, I may have to show up.:D:D

Regards,

Here is another tip.

Get yourself an igloo cooler that is big enough for your gear but small enough for UPS regular shipping.

Then head over to your BMW Dealer and ask them for a few of the tie down straps that were used in the shipping crate.

Strap the cooler and use tape or other small cord to make sure the loose ends of the flaps can't snag.

When you get to the rally your shipping container is also your cooler and your cocktail table. If you ship your tent you know you won't have broken poles. :cry

I insure what I ship but I never ship what I can't afford to loose or want to use on the way. To me it makes more sense to ship gear when you are closer or you know you are hotelling it. The shipping is cheaper and you don't need as much gear for the ride there anyway.

Good suggestion about the Parawing. Using the current 20% REI coupon and my dividend from last year, the total came to $89.

Ship early too. I've seen people show up and their UPS package hasn't arrived yet. Don't know what they do without their tent, sleeping bag, etc.

Probably end up raiding the local walmart.

I don't necessarily recommend this, but I know a couple of guys who went to the world cup trials in Duluth a few years ago. They were appalled to find that the campground wanted to charge $18 per tent per night. At WalMart, they found a cheap tent that looked like a futurist's drawing of a lunar colony, with three domes connected by tunnels. They used the tent for the weekend, then boxed it up and returned for a refund. :deal Suggests an interesting strategy for the minimalist tourer.

I don't necessarily recommend this, but I know a couple of guys who went to the world cup trials in Duluth a few years ago. They were appalled to find that the campground wanted to charge $18 per tent per night. At WalMart, they found a cheap tent that looked like a futurist's drawing of a lunar colony, with three domes connected by tunnels. They used the tent for the weekend, then boxed it up and returned for a refund. :deal Suggests an interesting strategy for the minimalist tourer.

I think most of us are appalled by these "two guys" being the slackers they truly are. Reminds me of my old girlfriends mother who worked at Marshall Fields in Chicago and considerable stories of returns on cocktail dresses that had stains on them and the tags carefully tucked away. Returns are a cost of goods sold and often lead to increased overhead and ultimately higher costs. These type of people suck!

I think most of us are appalled by these "two guys" being the slackers they truly are. Reminds me of my old girlfriends mother who worked at Marshall Fields in Chicago and considerable stories of returns on cocktail dresses that had stains on them and the tags carefully tucked away. Returns are a cost of goods sold and often lead to increased overhead and ultimately higher costs. These type of people suck!

There's the predictably tepid and sanctimonious response that sometimes makes me wonder if this is a place I want to be. I probably don't have the brass to pull it off personally, but I wish I had thought of it, and I can think of no victim more deserving than WalMart. "These type of people" are funny as hell!

There's the predictably tepid and sanctimonious response that sometimes makes me wonder if this is a place I want to be. I probably don't have the brass to pull it off personally, but I wish I had thought of it, and I can think of no victim more deserving than WalMart. "These type of people" are funny as hell!

It appears that there is a large range of what people consider moral behavior, regardless of what you think of WalMart, you did agree that they were the "victim" in this event.

It appears that there is a large range of what people consider moral behavior, regardless of what you think of WalMart, you did agree that they were the "victim" in this event.

Cool, a thread that goes from shade to shady...

My nephew worked at wallyworld while he was going to school. The kicker for him was when someone brought back a live Christmas tree a few days after Christmas.

Considering the price of shipping these days, buying an inexpensive tent might be a good option. I remember the locals in Trenton, ONT roaming the park picking up perfectly good chairs, tents and coolers after the crowds had left. There wondered about all the round rubber disks on the ground ...and were happy to give me a couple. :p

Back