• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GAS Budgeting for Rally?

Gasoline Mileage

You are not alone in the bad milage dept with a 1200GSA.. A friend of mine had an accident with his 1150 GSA and bought a new 1200 GSA and has a similar experience. His 1150 was much better.. :scratch
My 1150 gets 45-50MPG depending on load, speed and wind. I never ever saw less than 42 MPG.
I have no idea why that is, but if newer bikes are supposed to be better than the 'older' ones I wonder why milage is worse....

I am currently getting 47 MPG on my 2004 1150RT using premium gasoline (91+). The 47 MPG is over 4,000 miles of continuous travel so far this summer. I weigh 350 lbs and I have the bike maxed-out with a tank bag, top bag, 2 over-sized-lidded side bags, plus camping equipment.

I used to average 50+ MPG on my 1999 1100RT fully loaded on long trips. I'd rather have the extra gasoline mileage than more horsepower. Perhaps an 800GS is in my future????
Rich

This is what I did!

I had an "02" 1150GS that got 40's gas mileage and I sold it to a guy who loves it for $8,000. Then I bought an "06" 650 GS that gets 65-70 MPG for $7,000. I love the Little GS and it has all I need to travel alone with gear. I am proud I ride the smaller bike that I do not think I will drop it in a camp ground and I can push it around on the grass. I will not even use the $1,000 I made in the deal.

I agree that we need to do what we enjoy and cut back on the other frills, Cigarettes, Latte's, Haircuts, Another riding suit, etc. I think we probably have things we could sell on e-bay or adv rider. Where there is a will there is a way. Bitch less and get the right attitude about a great summer and life. I made $13,000 last year and am lucky to share a paid-off house. I am a substitute teacher and I love life. I am able to do the Cowboy Hat Trick (Black Hills, National, Paonia) and camp all the way. Make it all work for you at any cost, I do.

See you in Beautiful Wyoming.:whistle

I am currently getting 47 MPG on my 2004 1150RT using premium gasoline (91+). The 47 MPG is over 4,000 miles of continuous travel so far this summer. I weigh 350 lbs and I have the bike maxed-out with a tank bag, top bag, 2 over-sized-lidded side bags, plus camping equipment.
Rich

Rich, you must ride slower than me. I rarely get 40 mpg on my 2002 1150RT. In most LD scavenger hunt type competitive rallies I average 32.5 mpg over 24 hours and covering between 1200 and 1300 miles. Ditto for my 1532 mile IBA BBG 3 years ago.

I need to know your secret.

I Ride:)

A most expensive BMW and I'm frugal! I still like my mileage and its a big selling point to me. My new GSA1200 is poor at it and I didn't know, so my homework prior to buying is a bust. The bike is way cool and I love its look and it handles as a much smaller bike. Today, would I do it again? Probably not and would look harder at the F800GS(NOT HERE YET) and/or a F650 again. My '99 F650, with carb was not nearly as good on gas as the 2001-2007 ones. 65-70 mpg is fantastic and I've heard it many times, from F650 owners. I will keep the bigger GSA for a few years and enjoy it, but NOT TWICE with this bike, unless BMW can get it to become like the RT's and KLT's on gas mileage! KLT is 800+ LBS, so go figure why it should "excell" with all that weight? I clearly got over 50mpg frequently with the biggest of BMW's. Why not the so much lighter GSA??? PLEASE, I will ride mine and be happy, enjoying all my miles a lot, as always. No more complaining for now:). Happy Trails, Randy. Its a tradeoff for exploring the less traveled byways on dirt:). :drink

Not a Slow (Slug) Rider

Rich, you must ride slower than me. I rarely get 40 mpg on my 2002 1150RT. In most LD scavenger hunt type competitive rallies I average 32.5 mpg over 24 hours and covering between 1200 and 1300 miles. Ditto for my 1532 mile IBA BBG 3 years ago.

I need to know your secret.

jcpuckett,
The 47 miles per gallon (MPG) that I got on my 2004 R1150RT over the last 4,000 miles, is up to 48 MPG over the past 6,000 miles, with the last few tankfuls averaging a little over 50 MPG. Remember, I use premium gasoline (91+ octane) consistently. I find it makes a difference and I save money at the pump overall. Premium gasoline is more expensive, but the extra MPG with premium gasoline more than offsets the differential per gallon cost between regular & premium.

As I said I am fully loaded down with personal weight, lots of clothing, and lots of camping gear. I'm good for 3 months of consecutive summer travel. Also, I'm no slug when it comes to MPH (not MPG). Very rarely does anyone pass me on the road. I am very fast/quick in the corners/twisties. My 1999 R1100RT did slightly better than the 2004 R1150RT on gasoline mileage.

Hope this email is informative to you and others.
Rich

Another RT story:)

My GSA has begun to rise in the mpg departrment, but so slowly and with some effort on my part slowing down. 44 this last tank, middle grade gas and 11000 mile now. It just does not seem a priority for BMW and others to excell here and many older BMW's are doing as well or better in this area. I concede my BMWGSA is a sport bike with high end abilities, so I must figure it to be where it is! This is good. I do get more "tight fisted" with my funds however as the 5$ gas hits here and want better:). I would hope to see a CRASH in the gas/oil market soon, because this topic will become a huge one as we all pay more for just about everything out there. Fuels have more than doubled and so will your food, clothes,eating out and anything you can name, because it doesn't fall from trees. It comes via trucks! Its a miracle, the trucking industry has not passed this on moreso to the consumers and its beginning:(. Randy

Back