• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GAS Budgeting for Rally?

I agree with you about the high gasoline prices. I am traveling through the USA Southwest all summer on my 2004 R1150RT, expect to travel 13,000 miles this summer, and I have budgeted $1,300 for gasoline for the summer. I suggest a seminar at the Gillette National Rally seminar on how we can cut our gasoline consumption on our BMW motorcycles........

We may need to change from actual, to "virtual rally's" :)

It could be worse, think of the Airstream people that have to go to their rallies!

I did a little experiment the other day on a moderately hilly New Hampshire 4 lane. I set the cruise on my R1200RT at about 63 and over a 40 mile ride including about 10 miles of 2 lane with a few stop signs I got 63 MPG riding solo with no gear. I normally get 55 MPG riding 2 up with a variety of country/town riding.

Sooo, it may be a slower ride to Gillette but I hope to see significant fuel savings:clap

OMG 63 MPH on the wide open highways out west? Not worth the fuel savings in my book. :p

Gas prices are not only putting a damper on rallies, but it is affecting the entire economy, or what's left of it :cry . I make a living fishing and using gas is a big part of running a boat. I have seen a drastic drop in my business due to fuel cost...I will ride this summer, come hell or high water, but I will cut on many 'extras' I used to do in the past. My GS gets nearly 50 MPG when ridden less aggressively and that has saved my hide at the gas pump. I only use my truck for towing the boat and that is it. I see more bikes on the roads down here, as gas is 20 $ Ct's over state average in the FL Keys. :bluduh Can you say RIP-OFF??

Budget?

You just got to love those HD people. From a weekly newsletter I receive:

It's rare when a company not only understands its brand, but knows when it is in desperate need of shoring it up and reaffirming its reason for being. Harley-Davidson, which is facing the big cool down in sales after years of explosive growth, is just such a company. In a print ad that ran last Thursday (May 1) in USA Today, Harley let it all hang out with the following copy, which gets at the very essence of what makes the brand unique and special: "We don't do fear. Over the last 105 years in the saddle, we've seen wars, conflicts, depression, recession, resistance, and revolutions. We've watched a thousand hand-wringing pundits disappear in our rear-view mirror. But every time, this country has come out stronger than before. Because chrome and asphalt put distance between you and whatever the world can throw at you. Freedom and wind outlast hard times. And the rumble of an engine drowns out all the spin on the evening news. If 105 years have proved one thing, it's that fear sucks and it doesn't last long. So screw it, let's ride." If you want to read more, go to www.harleydavidson.com/screwit. Congratulations to all involved at Carmichael Lynch in Minneapolis, and here's to Mark-Hans Richer, for making it happen. - PMD

Sorry if this offends anyone. Just pretty good marketing on the part of a company that knows what it is all about.

bob

I don't budget anything. It is what it is, and I am pretty conservative. I am retired and the thing I wanted to do in retirement is ride. That's what I am doing. That said, I don't take too many day rides anymore--just long ones to rallies. If I go out for a day ride, it's usually to run errands using the bike instead of the car.

I don't use my car as much as I used to. There are many places I just don't go anymore, if it's not necessary. And I plan my errands; I save up trips in different directions in town and run them all at once. In a way, I guess that could be called budgeting the amount of gas I use.

Ca-ching!

Ouch! Hadn't thought about what gas would really cost on my 4,500 mile trip to Gillette. (Steamboat Springs, CO to Juneau AK, Yukon, Northern BC and Alberta, Wyoming and home again.) My 1150 RT gets about 50 mpg, let's say 45 mpg to be safe - Hmm.. 100 gallons of gas. I understand Canadian gas prices are very high - $5 per gallon - that's $500. I will be camping a lot though so that should save some. Another way to look at it is in my FourRunner I'd be paying over a $1000 for gas. Any way you slice it, the key is to enjoy each mile! :D Steve

R1200RT Mileage

Rich, I have never done it over an extended period but do check it on every tank fill-up. Never have I been below 50 and almost always 55 at the least so this would be a consertive average (55 mpg) 90% 2-up.
Gail, I do push it now and then, my gps registered a top speed of 110 in Florida this past winter but that was just for fun and a short distance. I just started wearing ear plugs and realize it is hard to keep it below 70. I will test it a bit more I am sure on the way to Gellette.:bolt

Just getting my 12,000 service at Max BMW in NH now. :wave

See some of you there,
Bill Zeller

Jealous here; GSA1200:(

I love the '07 GSA 1200, but its mpg's really suck wind, compared to the RT's! My new GSA is at 9000 miles now and its only hit 40+ mpg twice and is 36-38mpg most of the time. I'm told it may get better, but I'm starting to have concerns if it will indeed. I've tried all the speeds, per tank and nothing seems to change it, slow or fast riding. Weird? The bike computer is accurate, as I've checked it mathematically myself and get the same result as the bike computer. Disappointed:(. My diesel pickup F350 is 15 mpg's and it has hit near 5$ a gallon here in CA., so it gets driven very little to do horse errands/hay etcetc...The faired RT's may just have the advantage here. My last KLT1200 did the same at 50+mpg's. Randy13233:drink

I love the '07 GSA 1200, but its mpg's really suck wind, compared to the RT's! My new GSA is at 9000 miles now and its only hit 40+ mpg twice and is 36-38mpg most of the time. I'm told it may get better, but I'm starting to have concerns if it will indeed. I've tried all the speeds, per tank and nothing seems to change it, slow or fast riding. Weird? The bike computer is accurate, as I've checked it mathematically myself and get the same result as the bike computer. Disappointed:(. My diesel pickup F350 is 15 mpg's and it has hit near 5$ a gallon here in CA., so it gets driven very little to do horse errands/hay etcetc...The faired RT's may just have the advantage here. My last KLT1200 did the same at 50+mpg's. Randy13233:drink

You are not alone in the bad milage dept with a 1200GSA.. A friend of mine had an accident with his 1150 GSA and bought a new 1200 GSA and has a similar experience. His 1150 was much better.. :scratch
My 1150 gets 45-50MPG depending on load, speed and wind. I never ever saw less than 42 MPG.
I have no idea why that is, but if newer bikes are supposed to be better than the 'older' ones I wonder why milage is worse....

Got me?

I have read reports with newer GS1200 owners doing better than me, into the mid 40's range, but I'm not there yet on my GSAdventure'07. Randy

i figure it will cost me close to $400 in gas to get to Gillette from my home in NY and back. any riding i do while there will be extra, but i am sure it will be money well spent. now add on the cost of motels there & back (i'm gonna camp at the rally site) and food, beer and everything i will buy while walking the vendors and i bet this whole trip will run me between $1800-2000. oh i almost forgot i am having Mr. Ed's Moto make me a custom seat for the trip, but i will not count that mainly because i am not telling my wife about it......lol

On winter trips, I budget $60/day for gas, but summer trips are budgeted at $80/day due to the increased running time thanks to longer days. Food and lodging add another 60-80 bucks.

If you are passing thru my part of Kansas on your way to the rally, I can save you the money you would have spent on lodging by providing camping at our place. If I get enough advanced warning, I'll even cook you dinner. It may not be fancy, but you won't go to sleep hungry!

Tom

My GSA did well;

This past weekend to Lake Tahoe, I bought mountain gas and the mpg's rose significantly to 47 mpg.:). First time it ever went way over 38-40mpg's. I figure the mountain gas is a different formula, vs our valley gas and this improved the mileage. I know this to be true in CA.. AND, nice thoughts from a fellow Kansas rider, offering overnight space at his home:). A bit out of my way, but lots of folks riding right through there from eastern parts. Happy Trails, Randy:thumb :usa

I have had the opposite experience with my '07 GS non-Adventure.

It got around 45-47 when new, but has steadily declined to upper-30's at present, with about 9100 miles on the clock. My suspicion is that a new air filter will get the MPG back up- at least that's how it worked with my airhead, which would always lose MPG over a period of about 10K miles and then a new air filter would restore the MPG.

As for the earlier comment about riding expensive bikes and whining about fuel, the payments on the bike leave me fairly poor. So there.

For me it's a minimum of about 4,400 miles to and back from the rally -- not an insignificant distance. But, more importantly it represents an investment in time.

I've been through Gillette several times before. I've just never thought of it as a destination.

It's more difficult for me to justify the travel time and lodging expense, than to justify the expenditure of $400 ~ $500 for the fuel.

I'll be sitting this one out -- waiting and hoping for a more convenient venue, like Tennessee or North Carolina, or at least less time traveling through "fly-over" country. As it is, I'll be spending my gas budget traveling a coastal route to Vermont in July.

For me it's a minimum of about 4,400 miles to and back from the rally -- not an insignificant distance. But, more importantly it represents an investment in time.

It's more difficult for me to justify the travel time and lodging expense, than to justify the expenditure of $400 ~ $500 for the fuel.

As it is, I'll be spending my gas budget traveling a coastal route to Vermont in July.

We'll miss seeing you. It's not necessarly the location, but the reunion with friends.

After you get to WY, you'll find the cheapest gas in the US

State Price Trend

Wyoming 3.639
Arizona 3.660
Montana 3.714
South Carolina 3.714
New Jersey 3.718
Missouri 3.719
Utah 3.742
Louisiana 3.744
Tennessee 3.769
Iowa 3.775

Even though I laid out my Summer riding plan sworn to make it to Gillette at the expense of other events I would normally ride, I'm starting to waffle because of projected gas prices.

At $4/gal I'm looking at $600 in gas. At $5/gal, which I'm confident will happen by July, that jumps to $750 for just my gas. By the time lodging, food, remaining bike preps are added in, it's looking grim.

I'm keeping my options open, but I'm not going to preregister - if I get there, I'll pay the $5 extra for registering at the gate.

Just means less $$$ to spend at the vendor area and dining on pork & beans and Vienna sausages....... :fart

Back