• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

no choke why?

BMW did not install an aircleaner with a choke on the "S" bikes. Why is this more air?

R50S and R69S no choke other /2s do.

I thought I had read this somewhere...I borrowed this from one of the more learned posters on the Yahoo /2 forum. Makes sense to me...

"The choke is for cold running, not for starting. For starting on any
/2, use the tickler to richen the mixture for kick starting. The choke
does not restrict the air flow enough to richen the mixture during
kick starting.

Once the cold engine is running, the choke richen the mix, let it
take throttle and drive off very soon.

The non-S models were equipped with choke air cleaners because many of
them were used for police and courier services, where the bikes needed
to be ridden away in cold weather without warming up. The choke
provided almost instant driveability.

The S models were not equipped with choke air cleaners for reduced
restriction, and because S owners were usually private individuals who
had the time to warm up their bikes before riding them.

In 1968 all the US-export bikes were given the non-choke S-type air
cleaner, because almost all US riders were private individuals, and
the S-type was also cheaper."

Back