• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Signature line restrictions, WTF

merrittgene

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100
What happened to the Signature guidelines? I had a nice four-line signature, and all I wanted to do was update an embedded URL and I was forced to reduce it to one line to meet the 200 character maximum.

Are the storage requirements so steep that we need a 200 character maximum, especially if that count must include the embedded URL code?

I should have just kept my grandfathered signature, instead of updating it. Phooey.

What happened to the Signature guidelines? I had a nice four-line signature, and all I wanted to do was update an embedded URL and I was forced to reduce it to one line to meet the 200 character maximum.

Are the storage requirements so steep that we need a 200 character maximum, especially if that count must include the embedded URL code?

I should have just kept my grandfathered signature, instead of updating it. Phooey.

A perfect example of a solution that went looking for a problem ... and sure enough found (created) one!

Guess you were snowed in when the sig line issue reared its ugly head here and new guidelines were implemented.

The good news is that the mod team is taking a second look and you may be able to do something different with your sig in a short time.

Hey Gene, You're right, you should have backed out to keep your existing sig. Rest assure, username (aka Lee Jones, the new forum liason) will be reviewing the "policy" and making changes to this unwelcome restriction. :deal

Good thing, I admin a vBulletin board for a specific group of car enthusiasts... and you can set whether or not the vb code for links and such are included in the char count. You can even set a limit on each, individually.

Yeah, I guess I'm out of sync (in probably more ways than one.)

So, I should read the Forum when it's snowing, not when it's riding season...got it.

Now my .sig is boring...no more ode to the day I met SRAB. :cry

OTOH, why have a GIANT signature? :scratch

200 characters is a lot of space. How many characters is the signature you wanted to use?

OTOH, why have a GIANT signature? :scratch

200 characters is a lot of space. How many characters is the signature you wanted to use?

Well let us see. Here is a current "grand fathered " one.

If you don't wear a helmet when you ride....you probably shouldn't be riding.

mine: 07-r1200s
hers: 07-monster 695
Hx of bikes
1979 Honda 125 SS
1988 Ninga 900
1997 Suzuki SV1000S (fastest)
1997 Kawasaki 600r (racing only)
2001 Honda F4i
2002 Daughter
2003 Ducati 800ss
:stick

And here is another.

All the best,
Alex

Alex's BMW Motorcycle & Global Touring Page

How to tour Europe and the Alps on a budget.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein

If vehicles were as reliable as computers, I'd own a horse. :rofl

And another.

Thom
Rounder #124
Black Helicopter Touring Team
R1100RT

:brow
They call me the breeze i keep blowin' down the road
Yeah they call me the breeze i keep blowin' down the road
I ain't got me nobody, i ain't carryin' me no load.
JJ Cale

And another.

RoyB
Dartmouth, Ma
Photo Album: http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/
Web Site: www.rvbprecision.com
2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs)
2004 BMW Rockster (abs)
2004 Honda VFR (abs)
2002 MV Agusta
2002 Triumph Thunderbird
2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello
1989 Honda NC27 (sold to a museum!)

Last edited:
Personally, I think giant sigs are just plain tacky. MHO. YMMV. :dunno

FWIW, Most every forum and mailing list has some simple rules for how big a sig can be and how you can format it. It's almost never about bandwidth. It's about keeping the forum readable.

Yeah, I guess I'm out of sync (in probably more ways than one.)

So, I should read the Forum when it's snowing, not when it's riding season...got it.

Now my .sig is boring...no more ode to the day I met SRAB. :cry

gene, i'm putting you on my ignore list. your posts are so boring without a four line .sig that i cant be bothered to read them... your old sig was so cool, that i never read your posts, i just read the sig.

;)

give us the time to revise the forum guidelines and maybe we can get you that line back.

it's good to see you around here.

I know I'm supposed to walk away on this...but...my sig line is not giant but neither is it compliant.

Four lines vs. three is no big deal, IMHO. And you could easily shorten yours. Obviously, the hope is to find a pleasant middle ground policy that lets people say what they need to say, albeit with a measure of succinctness.

FWIW, the above paragraph is 225 characters.

Back