Thread: Mt. St. Helens Run, Washington State

Hybrid View

Mt. St. Helens Run, Washington State

Starting in Enumclaw after a breakfast at Charlies ride up past Mt. Rainier and on to Mt. St. Helens...
    Here is a great route to a lesser "occupied" viewing area known as Windy Ridge.
    Gets ya up real close and personal like.

How many States can have rides to an Active Volcano? Not too many!
    -Jim

You can ride over Mt. Lassen in California, which is a nice ride on an active volcano.

But it really doesn't compare to the ride from Randle to Cougar and out to Windy Ridge and back. That is a great motorcycling road!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    You can ride over Mt. Lassen in California, which is a nice ride on an active volcano.

But it really doesn't compare to the ride from Randle to Cougar and out to Windy Ridge and back. That is a great motorcycling road!
    One of my favorites. It's got enough heave and worry that the sport bikes, that swarm there like gnats in the summer, can't open it up. Catching up to them on a fully loaded GS is good fun.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Chinook and Cayuse Passes on 410 going past the East side of Rainier are probably still closed for snow. Did you go this way or detour around the West end? I have traveled those routes many times via rental cage. Several nights backpacking in Rainier NP, thats one of the greatest spots to be. I am jealous that you are riding there

This is what you speak of... This was supposed to be the cover shot for the current "ON" but my image wasn't of high enough resolution! Arrgh!!

On Rainier w/ my 02R1200c

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post

Well Mt. Rainier is an active volcano too... So that makes two volcanoes on one run! Nyah!

j/k!!

ps: I'd like to get a ride together as soon as spring gets here in the PNW. Should be by July judging by weather lately... And when the passes open...
    Anyone interested please send me a message. The "start" would be in Enumclaw, WA.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    Well Mt. Rainier is an active volcano too... So that makes two volcanoes on one run! Nyah!

j/k!!

ps: I'd like to get a ride together as soon as spring gets here in the PNW. Should be by July judging by weather lately... And when the passes open...
    Anyone interested please send me a message. The "start" would be in Enumclaw, WA.
    -Jim
    I rode down to Mt St Helen a few weeks ago from up north of Seattle. Weather held until we got there, then the wind kicked in big time. We were reduced to stopping at the lodge where the helicopter rides go from. In fact being a Brit, every time we get visitors we have to do the trip. In two years I've been there 6 times and the 410 for Rainier even more. Yet to have the road at the top that drops down to Paradise open when I've been. Must do that, so if it's part of your ride, count me in.

Great picture, is that from the Paradise side? Still jealous

Yeah... It was rainy ride 1/2 mile down the road. You can see the clouds on the left side of the frame... Broke out of the clouds and got to this intersection and looked over my shoulder and had to stop and take this.
    20+ years visiting this mountain and it never gets boring.

Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    Yet to have the road at the top that drops down to Paradise open when I've been. Must do that, so if it's part of your ride, count me in.
    Sure... A detour up to Paradise is no problem. Maybe adds an hour... So? I usually stop in Packwood for fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    Sure... A detour up to Paradise is no problem. Maybe adds an hour... So? I usually stop in Packwood for fuel.
    Just need a date then.

Meet in the middle?

Maybe we could get an Oregon contingent to run up to St. Helens the same day.
    Just a thought, keep us posted as this ride develops
    Any Portlanders have some thoughts on this?
    Last edited by 41077; 05-01-2008 at 09:32 PM.