• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Marshamallow Butt to Church & West Coast

El Dookey loves to ride.
The West Coast of Michigan, that is! We call Lake Michigan the Big Lake. This past Sunday I convinced my nephew Korey to brave the cold with his favorite Uncle to hit Bike Church and the Coast.
It was 43 and cloudy when I left my house, but since we went to Bike Church the Lord saw fit to bust out the sun (AMEN, ya'all).
Bike Church meets on Fulton Street in Grand Rapids and is open to all 2 wheel denominations as this pic proves.
(Be patient friends this report is 7 posts long...)

Attachments

• bike church.jpg
    bike church.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 115
Off to the Coast

We left Grand Rapids via one of my favorite short trips. We took Leonard out to Grand Haven.
Leonard winds alongside the Grand River. Lots of turns and a couple great straights for pumping up the volume. Really beautiful houses, lots of horses and cows to see, too.
Here is my favorite vista on this road.

Attachments

• river 1.jpg
    river 1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 113
40 miles or so later

of curvy two wheeled fun we hit our initial destination - The Big Lake in Grand Haven.
Here is a shot looking out the pear to the Big Water. (Izzat Boxergrrle over there on the other side riding? We waved, but she didn't see us due to the reflection of the sun on the water no doubt...)
It was about 45 degrees and the wind was blowing like all get out. Wind is what makes waves on the Big Lake - there ain't no tide coming in or out.
There were a few boats braving the 20-30 mph wind, but not many. The beach was deserted....phunny thing.

Attachments

• big lake 1.jpg
    big lake 1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 110
Natch we had to trek to the end

We scooted out to the park at the base of the pier and went out to the end fully clothed in our protective gear. There were a couple of other folks out there and they envied us our helmets and gloves!
Here is Korey out at the end. (We were still trying to signal Wisconsin, but no luck....)

Attachments

• korey end 2.jpg
    korey end 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 109
Bikes on the beach

Once the temps warm up, this beach is like downtown with folks packed in ******* to belly button.
We managed to find easy parking due to the inclimate weather.
Korey was riding the Honda.

Attachments

• parked on the beach.jpg
    parked on the beach.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 106
Headed further north

In true Marshmallow Butt fashion we had no map, no GPS, no real plan. We ate a hearty b-fast and headed a few miles north to Muskegon.
I saw a sign for the USS Silversides, so we did a U-turn and came back. As true Marshmallowers we took a wrong turn, but eventually made it out to the berth of the retired submarine.
We had to drive past some stretches of beach to get there and the lovely sand was blowing every which way. It made for some wierd riding.
We took the sub tour. Hats off to anyone who ever served our country in one of those. Guide told us average temp was 80-90 when submerged. Enlisted men could shower once every 10-14 days. There are 20 steps to using the head in a sub. Screw it up and you get yours back along with some other peoples.
What an education....I will never look at submarines in the movies the same. You can stay on the Silversides overnight in the summer.

Attachments

• silversides.jpg
    silversides.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 102
Heading back home

Followed a slightly different route and came across Mt Garfield - home to motorcycle Hill Climbs.
Did another U turn. This stop brought back memories. My Dad took us out to the hill climbs when I was a wee one. If you have never seen one, then you have never seen one!
Wild, loud bikes hauling the mail up a big ole hill. Korey and I made plans to attend an event there this summer. Prolly have to park a ways away and walk on account of hill climbs are dominated by the H-D hardcore crowd. (Or at least they used to be...)

Attachments

• hill climb 1.jpg
    hill climb 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 102
Last one (I promise)

Thought you ought to see the hill to be climbed. Korey and I thought about breaking in and seeing what our scoots could do on the hill, but then.....
So we went home the way we came on account of Leonard being as much fun going east or west.
Spent a long day just to cover 130 or so miles (fergot to keep track), but us Marshmallow butted dudes are out for the fun, the adventure, the wrong turns, the U-turns and such.

Attachments

• hill climb 2.jpg
    hill climb 2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 97
Cliffy, that's awesome! I love it when people share their part of the country with everyone. So far, we've got stuff from just about everywhere; Florida, Indiana, Missouri, Oregon, Cali and doggone near everywhere.

:thumb

I Lied

Thought it might honk Korey off if I put his mug on the forum, so here he is

Attachments

• korey.jpg
    korey.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 93
Nice report, Cliffy. I just wanna know how you ride without a windshield? I have lots of respect for you when you can do that. Nice looking bike you have there.

Hey Cliffy, great report! I love stopping at stuff like that on your ride. We will have to get an online mass marshmallow going this summer, up in GR since you have the busiest schedule.

Windshield and such

"Nice report, Cliffy. I just wanna know how you ride without a windshield?"

Well shoot, why bother with a windshield when I have that big old eyebrow fairing that came with the bike? Besides, 45 degrees in Michigan is a lot warmer than 45 in SD. (Wait, SD is the warm one and ND is the cold one, right?)

Seriously, I don't know why actually. My first bike had a fairing, but every one since then has not. I do not ride the slabs hardly at all - if I did then maybe I would slap a screen on. IMHO a screen would ruin the lines of this bike and it's look was a major contributing factor in my purchase thereof.

I looked out my kitchen window at the lake on Sunday and thought I saw somebody from "over the pond" waving. So I waved back. Didn't you see me? Well, maybe next time.

thanks Cliffy

Your day trip reminded me of my own trip back in Sept. 01 Labor Day week when I rode to southwest Mi. to visit my bro and sis in laws. They lived in Baroda about 8-10 miles from St. Joseph. I visited the same pier in Grand Haven as well as the tall ships convention that week in South Haven. I also rode up the I think it's called the blue or red circle hwy along the lake Michigan coast to Muskegon and those big ol dunes you folks have up there. On through Holland to Battle Creek and Grand Rapids. I just spent the whole time riding and enjoying the western side of Michigan. Heck I even rode to Chicago, why I really don't know and passed through Bradford Benns neck of the woods South Bend a few times. Thanks for the memory. IHCB

Re: thanks Cliffy

Ironhorsecowboy said:
....passed through Bradford Benns neck of the woods South Bend a few times. Thanks for the memory. IHCB

And you didn't stop to say hi?

Re: 40 miles or so later..." Big Lake In Grand Haven"

Cliffy777 said:
of curvy two wheeled fun we hit our initial destination - The Big Lake in Grand Haven.
Here is a shot looking out the pear to the Big Water. (Izzat Boxergrrle over there on the other side riding? We waved, but she didn't see us due to the reflection of the sun on the water no doubt...)
It was about 45 degrees and the wind was blowing like all get out. Wind is what makes waves on the Big Lake - there ain't no tide coming in or out.
There were a few boats braving the 20-30 mph wind, but not many. The beach was deserted....phunny thing.

Thanks Cliffy for the ride report....:)
This is my favorite pic.....:bliss

Back