• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2009 BMW MOA Rally?

Wow! :p I was down that way last year for the RA rally and other vacation, but never thought I might get back there this soon...

This time, I have to convince my wife i need to go on the bike... (yep, only minivan at the Biltmore)

Eric

Bbq???

Someone said BBQ?

By gawd I hope it's not that forsaken mustard based stuff! If it is, I'll go off on the volunteers for planning this!

At least Memphis is between here and there!

Gotta wait a year!:drink

I rode through Eastern Tennessee near the 2009 Rally site a couple of weeks ago on my way home from Texas. I never got off the slab except to sleep but it looked like nice country. I'm going from Albany, NY to Atlanta Labor Day. If I have time I'll adjust my route to make a visit there.
One thing I can say about the area is that I-81 isn't a very pleasant drive. There's always heavy truck traffic and they tend to herd up slowing everyone down. Virginia has posted signs that basically say "If you're driving less than the speed limit stay in the right lane" but it's still common to get behind two trucks well below the speed limit riding side by side mile after mile.

Fantastic choice, We've gone to the Smokies and that area of Tenn, N.C. and Va. every year for the past 12 years and have only scratched the surface of the number of great roads. Great roads for every type of riding, touring, riding twisties and thousands of miles of off road riding. We'll be going there again this October. I guess we'll just have to go there twice in six months-darn:clap . Only down side is that Wheels Thru Time in Maggie Vally will be closed by then:cry . It's a shame cause it was a great place to visit and less than two hour ride from the rally site. Can't wait till July 09

Great riding ahead!

dragon? we don't need no squid-filled dragon!

come rally time next year your gps will be filled with roads that are *better* than the dragon and nary a squid in sight.

i promise. :nod

ian

You've got that right! Leave the "Dragon" to the squids and HD riders. There are so many other, better roads in the region. I'm looking forward to learning some new roads from the folks here on the forum.

I don't know about TN 'que, but there's good stuff right over the border in NC. I think the mustard sauce is from south of the border (SC). Here in the Old North State, we've actually got two competing styles of 'que: eastern (chopped pork with vinegar-based hot sauce) and Lexington (chopped pork with sweet sauce).

The 2009 BMW MOA International Rally will be held at the Appalachian Fair, in Gray, TN, July 16th~19th.
I'd imagine with Plenty of Shade!!!

I heard a rumor that they were going to cut down all the trees and straighten the roads to make the mid-westerners feel more at home! :lol

RM

I heard a rumor that they were going to cut down all the trees and straighten the roads to make the mid-westerners feel more at home!

The midwesterners will feel right at home in this area. There are no rain flooded river banks or sandbags anywhere near here. Please bring water with you when you come. Lots of it.

Outstanding site selecion. My son and I spent several days there this May, tearing up the Smoky Mountains.

Though we 'challenged' the Dragon seven times, and I would advise anyone who has not ridden it to give it a try (Remember: Outside-Inside-Outside), we found other neat routes nearby in N. Carolina and northern S. Carolina that were a hoot!

You've got that right! Leave the "Dragon" to the squids and HD riders. There are so many other, better roads in the region. I'm looking forward to learning some new roads from the folks here on the forum.

I don't know about TN 'que, but there's good stuff right over the border in NC. I think the mustard sauce is from south of the border (SC). Here in the Old North State, we've actually got two competing styles of 'que: eastern (chopped pork with vinegar-based hot sauce) and Lexington (chopped pork with sweet sauce).

There are wonderful crooked mountain roads on the Virginia side within about 50 miles of the rally. Makes you wonder what is special about the Dragon (and almost no traffic)

There are wonderful crooked mountain roads on the Virginia side within about 50 miles of the rally. Makes you wonder what is special about the Dragon (and almost no traffic)

'cause you can get your picture took! (along with an invite from the local authorities to visit the court house!) :laugh

RM

I'm not familiar with the Appalachian Fair Grounds or Gray, Tennessee, but the entire area is a wonderful place to hold a motorcycle rally.

I'll be there for the '09 Rally for sure! Thank you site selection committee!

I heard a rumor that they were going to cut down all the trees and straighten the roads to make the mid-westerners feel more at home! :lol

RM

Dear Mr. Rocket Man,

I'm from the Midwest and proud of it. In fact, we have a saying about my home state of Illinois and it is as follows:

Illinois - 318 miles, 11 curves.

And besides, if we miss one of the curves, who wants a tree on the side of the road ready to catch you and your bike? :dance :dance

My wife says that other places have to plant grass and trees to try to look like Southern Illinois. :grin

Diann and I really enjoyed our trip last year to the RA rally at Biltmore.

Wonderful roads/scenery/people. We had the pleasure of exploring aproximately 300 km of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which was spectacular.

We hope to attend the 09 MOA rally.

I would also enjoy a rally in Mexico, after all, the A in MOA does indicate America, which makes for two rather large continents to enjoy, along with the different cultures/food/languages.

Regards, Rod.
:ca

I'm pleasantly surprised...no "TN, what were they thinking" thread.

People who have been here (I'm about 60 miles away) for a NA$CAR race or other reason like it and other people don't know anything about it. No place on earth suits everybody. I'm sure we'll have some complaints about hick town, hillbillies, middle of nowhere, etc. from big city folks who will be in cultural shock. They might even have a little problem communicating. We talk slower and many of us pronounce things differently. Fire sounds like far, tire sounds like tar and many other "unique" phrases.

Ken

Dang it!!! Up to now we have been able to keep the tourists on the Dragon. Now with all you guys coming I'll bet you'll find the all the other good roads!

Seriously, to ride the Dragon you are required to have a leather suit (preferably right off the show room floor) that matches your bike. If you have those little soap bars on your knees it is permissible to scrape them with a file to make it like you leaned over that far.

No really, seriously..... aw heck, there are just too many Dragon Trash jokes. Like did you ever hear the one about the guy that trashed his trailer on the Dragon while dating a traveling salesman's daughter? :rofl

Tar arn.....

People who have been here (I'm about 60 miles away) for a NA$CAR race or other reason like it and other people don't know anything about it. No place on earth suits everybody. I'm sure we'll have some complaints about hick town, hillbillies, middle of nowhere, etc. from big city folks who will be in cultural shock. They might even have a little problem communicating. We talk slower and many of us pronounce things differently. Fire sounds like far, tire sounds like tar and many other "unique" phrases.

Ken

Y'all might want to listen close while yer here. This IS the way they talk in heaven. Well, according to Jeff Foxworthy anyway!

I am really looking forward to y'all coming to East Tennessee this summer. This rally is going to be great!

I'm sure we'll have some complaints about hick town, hillbillies, middle of nowhere, etc. from big city folks who will be in cultural shock.

So? Do ya'll really wannum back?
Spend and leave is the mantra of these places...

I, on the other hand love finding places off the beaten path...
Just lookin' for the next "holler" out yonder...

Back