• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Inexpensive Topcase

LORAZEPAM

leave my monkey alone
Here is a topcase I have added mainly as a backrest for the pillion. I have used this particular brand in the past, and it has worked well for me. So well in fact, I decided to use it on my new RRS.

Attachments

• bike-with-topcase-side-view.jpg
    bike-with-topcase-side-view.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,373
The mount is just like a Givi topcase mount, it works exactly the same. I fabricated a piece of black nylon to level it, and to hold a Backoff stop/tail light I had mounted just above the license plate. I was not happy with the location, and part of the reason I used the plastic was to provide a better place to mount the light. I used stainless 1/4-20 fasteners including nylock nuts. (they have a nylon insert that helps heep them tight) instead of the cheap ones supplied. The nylon was cut on a band saw to the approximate dimentions, then a grove was cut to slightly recess the Backoff leds, using a bench press and a mill bit. I made several passes to get the groove to the depth I wanted. The piece was fitted and marked for holes to slide the stainless bolt through. I chose holes that matched up with the slots in the rack on the bike. It is very secure, and the Led lights are much more effective in increasing my visibility. The rack looks pretty good with the topcase off. (I forgot to get pictures of that, and the Led looks like it belongs there)

Attachments

• bike-with-topcase-close-rea.jpg
    bike-with-topcase-close-rea.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,421
Here is a side view of the Mount:

Attachments

• bike-with-topcase-mount-sid.jpg
    bike-with-topcase-mount-sid.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,412
The case has a seal that is waterproof, the latch locks as well as the release mechanism. The latch works a lot like a Givi, and I can put a couple bottle of wine in there or my full face helmet, which I can't do in my side cases. Total cost was right at 100.00 not counting the Backoff light. The bracket is included with the case, and the nylon block will probably be the toughest thing to find. I would like some feedback as to how it looks.

What kind of topcase

So where did you get the topcase. Looks really good and you cannot argue with the price.

WOW

All you need to do now is add a BMW roundel and tell everyone it is a prototype.

Nice looking install

You must be a professional, sir. Looks good and the price sounds right! I agree with dzimbrick, you ought to get a beemer roundel on it.

$500.00

Rich said:
Looks great to me. And it beats the $500 for the BMW topcase. Good job.

$500? $500? Where are you shopping. I priced one for the RT last year and with the mount and backrest pad it was +$700

And you can get a full face helmet into the JC Whitney case and have enough money left over to pay for the gas to Spokane and back.

See you in Spokane:bliss

Re: $500.00

dzimbric said:
$500? $500? Where are you shopping. I priced one for the RT last year and with the mount and backrest pad it was +$700

I stand corrected, ok, so it beats the $700 for the BMW topcase. :dunno I thought I saw one advertised somewhere for $500. Jeez, they want a lot of money for a little black box. I prefer a cordura bag myself, I bought one years ago and use the heck out of it. It has a built in backrest that doesn't cost extra. :bliss

Gee, Thanks!

Now I don't feel like I committed some unforgivable sin, crossed some invisible line, ...:bliss by putting something non-BMW on the bike. Many of my old stereotypes of Beemer Riders are fading away. What is next? Will I loose my stereotypes of the HD guys?

I put one of the J.C. Whitney top cases on my "thoroughly used" K100RT this winter. I thought I'd pulled off a great move though, when the fashion conscious HD guy at work complemented the "Look of it" :eek

It works great for dragging the lunch and thermos to word, and leaving the helmet on the bike during the day.

The Missus made a backrest pad for it so she can lean back in comfort. She used "stick on Velcro" on the case and stitched the "hook" Velcro to the pad. It's worked well for the short rides in the evenings. But, the real test will be the trip to IA (from MN) this weekend.

Jim

It looks really good!

A lot better than my Rubbermaid Action Packer topcase (which actually turned out looking better than I expected).

I saw that in J.C.Whitney as well.

My neighbor has one on his GS. I like it and the quality is very good.

I plan on putting one on my bike soon!

Thanks for the How-To pictures!

Jim :brow

lorazepam,

I would like to thank you for your throrough review of this JCW topcase. I ordered one and recently installed it on my R75/5. Like you, I used nylon-insert lock nuts instead of the ones that came with the hardware kit, but that was the only change I had to make.

I probably never would have thought to look at a JCW catalog without your report. Thank you very much!

Chris

Looks great, price is right, and to be honest no one will know who made it, or where you got it when you pass them on the road anyway. :clap

Back