• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's in Your Toolkit?

swall

Besides a spare EWS antenna ring, that is. I am just putting mine together. So far, I have a Torx folding key set. I am getting ready to order a 3/8 drive Torx T40, T45 and T30. Then I'll put in a compact 3/8 ratchet and about a 10" extension and a 14mm socket to fit the muffler clamp (or is that a 13mm?). Then, the stock tool kit goes to Rochester Iron & Metals on my next scrap run.

I bought the supplementary GS tool kit by BMW. Has most everything in it that you might need for maintenance.

Maybe you should think about getting a trailer Jim, then you could pack in a tire machine and a compressor and a gen. set. It would be like not leaving home.:laugh :whistle

Earl

:lol I might need one for the races this summer!:clap :bikes

Should be a blast! :thumb

Jim :brow

I have all the standard stuff. Torx, MM sockets, heat shrink tube,flashlight,tire plug kit.
But the BEST TOOL to carry is a Cell Phone.
Dave

Jim,

I think I know, but I'd rather you tell me. What's an extending mirror and where do you use it on the bike that it saved the day (or at least reduced swearing at the bike)?

Thanks.

Fred
R1200R

Jim,

I think I know, but I'd rather you tell me. What's an extending mirror and where do you use it on the bike that it saved the day (or at least reduced swearing at the bike)?

Thanks.

Fred
R1200R

It is similar to a dentist mirror on an extending shaft. I have used it to see in many places that I couldn't quite see. Looking for a dropped nut in the plastics, the underside of my instruments when my speedo cable came off (r1100GS) and a few others. Not a necessity, but light weight, and takes virtually no space.

Jim :brow

This list is not my list but one that I copied and saved in the archives. I wish I could give due credit but don't know who posted it.

Many thanks to the rider who first put it together.

Tool list for the R1200GS

Full Kit:
1. Vice Grips 8”
2. 4-way combination screwdriver *
3. 3” needle nose pliers *
4. 3” side cutters *
5. 10mm combination wrench
6. 13mm combination wrench
7. 2 tire spoons 9”
8. Set of metric feeler gauges
9. .006” (.152mm) and .012” (.305mm) feeler gauges *
10. Locking knife with 4” serrated blade
11. Flashlight (extra batteries)
12. Motolight lens removal tool
13. 8*, 9, 10*, 11*, 12*, 13*, 14, 15, 16, 17mm open end wrench set
14. Torx wrench set T8, 10, 15, 20*, 25*, 27*, 30*, 40*, 45*, 50*, 55* socket set
15. Allen wrench set 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, sockets, StandardAllen wrenches 2.5mm, 3mm*, 4mm*, 5mm*, 6mm*, 8mm*, 10mm
16. 3/8” drive ratchet *
17. ??” ratchet *
18. Extensions 3/8” 3” and 6” *, ??” 2.5” and 6” extensions
19. Sockets 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 10mm deep, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, spark plug socket *, 22mm front wheel socket/Allen *
20. Dental Pic set
21. Spark Plug gap tool
22. Oil filter wrench
23. Tire pressure gauge *
24. Spark plug wire remover
25. Leatherman
26. Tire plug kit (string) *
27. Compressor *
28. Extending mirror
29. Small standard screwdriver
30. Oil Cap tool *

Supplies:

31. Spare fuel hose clamps
32. Spare fuel hose splice
33. Assorted nuts and bolts
34. Assorted wire and connectors
35. Digital volt/ohm meter
36. Zip ties assorted
37. Electrical wire assorted sizes and lengths
38. Fuses
39. Lighter
40. Electrical tape
41. Stainless safety wire
42. Duct tape
* Indicates minimum tools for small kit

LATER - found the source: Our own JimVonBaden1

Here is my kit, some of us took that Boy Scout Motto to heart:
AllTools.jpg

Sticky this

I'd hate to see this toolkit list buried, oops, I mean "archived".

Done. Still open so feel free to add to it. Some photos of your toolkits would be handy. Gotta take some of mine..

I added a half of a stick of Pig Putty. There are a few different manufacturers of this stuff but it does the trick. I wouldn't be afraid to use this stuff to put my handlebars back together if I had to use it to just get home after some major breakage. I like JB weld if you have time for it to set-up but PIG PUTTY is what I keep in the tool kit and besides, they use the same stuff at work that I use for my use too so you can't beat it. If you need to know more specifics on what this stuff is send me a private message and I'll send you what's on the tube.

Back