• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Scotland Anyone?

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
My wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland for the summer of 09. Plan is to rent 2 bikes and take ten days to do an unguided tour of Scotland and Ireland. Anyone out there with experience renting bikes in Scotland? We've spent time in England and Scotland, but all cautions, recommendations and other forms of advice will be appreciated. I'm especially interested in recommendations on where to rent the bikes.

unfortunately, i've only borrowed bikes in scotland, never rented, but definitely take the ride from Stirling to Inverness if you have time, also the lands west of that area are rugged, very rural and wild. the north west highlands are beautiful. costal areas north of Dundee towards Aberdeen also have their charm. good luck with the rental side!

I'm interested in this also

My wife and I were considering a trip to Ireland or Scotland in 09' also (on bikes). Most the tours were very expensive, so I'm interested to see what you come up with in respect to rentals.

BritRail Pass

Trains in the UK are very reasonably priced if

you are a senior
if you buy ahead on the web

In Great Britain check out the BritRail pass.

Consider both alternatives; trains and motorcycles.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland for the summer of 09. Plan is to rent 2 bikes and take ten days to do an unguided tour of Scotland and Ireland. Anyone out there with experience renting bikes in Scotland? We've spent time in England and Scotland, but all cautions, recommendations and other forms of advice will be appreciated. I'm especially interested in recommendations on where to rent the bikes.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/global/ToEurope.htm
page down to
ENGLAND/ UK (Scotland & Wales) [or] IRELAND

Fantastic, although trying to tour both Scotland and Ireland in 10 days may be pushing it!

The west coast of Scotland is my favorite, and if you have time, try and visit some of the islands like Mull and Skye.

visit the UK GSer site, as they have a Scottish section.
http://ukgser.com/home/http://ukgser.com/home/

Perhaps you could suggest a bike swap, with someone there, coming over here at some point and getting to ride your bike. If that's a non-starter they will be able to help you with the hiring side of things.

Try White Rose tours too, they might do a bike only hire, rather than a full planned trip.

When in Scotland stick to the west coast and the Highlands, the lower East isn't so good, with St Andrews and Edinburgh being the exceptions.

There are a few places on Unchainedworld that sound great for that area, so if you find any others, including a hire company, don't forget to add them.

Love to Join You

Brian and Alicia here
Let us know what you find out. We have been talking about that same trip for a while and would love to tag along. Only need one bike wife is a great rider. NY Girl married a souther boy.

Argyleshire...it's the mutt's nuts, especially the Loch Fynne oyster cafe. Try Bradan Rost salmon..to die for. Inverary is quaint and Oban has a really good fish restaurant on the seafron in what looks like two porta cabins on top of each other. Go upstairs and try and sit on the left hand side (best views out over the water and isles).

Back