• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Calling all GS Riders

How should we use the MX track at the rally?

• Open track time for a very small fee

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Peer instruction with open time

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • I ride a GS and am not interested in this activity

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I don't care what we do but I love the idea of using the track

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Try to get this available for all to enjoy. Its a fantastic spectator event!

Yes, I believe it would draw a huge crowd - sell beer nearby and watch some grown men cry. While others have a really great time showing what the "PIG" can do, and if getting booted means making "Pigs Fly" well that might be worth the price of admission - Free right?

"Here, hold my beer, would ya'" :whistle

calling all GS riders

Question #1 Who is going to provide medical support for and event like this? Someone will fall and crash and get injured.
Question#2 Who or how are the crashed bikes going to get fixed>
Do you really want to ride in the dirt 1000 miles from home and crash you GS or GSA and at worse ship it home?

have a great time!

I've ridden my GS off road, off pavement far from home. This, IMHO, is no different - except that there will be a zillion people around to lend a hand, first aid available, we'll be in a town of some size, etc. IOW, it'll be probably be much safer than many of my other excursions.

But then I also ride a motorcycle. So my idea of what is or isn't risky is probably suspect. :ha

I'm sorry, but my idea of off road GS fun involves finding some back road, that turns into a back trail, which then turns into a back deer path, leading to ANOTHER back road...

Riding around an arena trying to hop over 4x4 posts on my baby GS is not my cup of tea. Riding in ANY track/arena with a crowd looking on is just not where it's at for me, personally.

and, as previously put, that ride, those tires have to take me over a 1000 miles of asphalt to get me home!

Now to watch the "professionals" go at it on a open track? I would enjoy, bring it on!;)

Hey now,

Let me give you an idea of where I am coming from and what I hope to accomplish.

Keep in mind I live in Rhode Island and the closest I have been to this track is viewing photos from the chair I am sitting in right now.

Right on the fairground is a full blown MX track set up for all levels of rider, from pee-wees on XR50's all the way up to semi-pros on big bikes.

If we do nothing we'll ride up to this fenced in off road park and go "Gee, it sure would be nice to be able to ride around in there" but because nothing was planned we won't be able too.

The other extreme is having open "track time" with folks allowed to go wild, pass each other and jump their 600lb "two wheeled range rovers". In this scenario we will need an ambulance, rescue and mechanics available. Chances are it would get shut down after the first serious wreck. Obviously we can't let this happen.

In the middle is a semi competitive trials type event as they do at the 49er. That requires a bit of extra labor and starts to fall under field events which would be a perfect way to have trials and use the track for training.

For those concerned about wadding up their bikes far from home, many of us who ride GS'es live in relatively developed areas. Our best off pavement riding is on fire roads which is fine if not repetitive. To have the MOA Rally out west is a wonderful excuse to take a two or even 2.5 week vacation and head west. In 04 the Shagger and I trucked to Colorado and spent two great weeks riding our GS'es out west. Part of any big trip is using your head and not crashing your bike, be it at the rally, on a twisty road or off the side of a mountain. If you are far from home on a bike with all sorts of extra lights, a big windscreen and all sort of heavy aftermarket stuff that makes your GS more like an RT then I agree this probably isn't a good activity for you.

The best part of the trip was finding places we just don't have at home, places where the GS shines.

11687253_pYqhy-M.jpg

After the rally in Spokane I hooked up with a few friends for the Crazy Uncle Tour. We were all on dual sport BMW's.

11714613_Dgjsi-M.jpg

We then went down to Moab and did a sunrise tour of the Arches.

11714614_N4hb5-M.jpg

This was followed by a visit to Ouray and a wonderful day ride on some of the high alpine jeep trails.

11687246_WSi8U-M.jpg

With Wyoming being so close to the Rockies *and* the TOR the following weekend this year presents another great opportunity to ride the Rockies.

My goal with the MX track is to see if we can come up with a way for people who didn't ride dirt bikes as kids but now have a GS learn a bit about what the bike can and will do off pavement. It is also to give any GS rider a chance to get more comfortable with their bike. I think there are quite a few GS riders who would love to check out the view from 13,000' but don't have the experience / confidence to give it a try. If we can use this facility to change this everybody wins.

11687261_DzNXS-M.jpg

When this photo was taken I was 41, outta shape and riding on Tourances. I did it and so can you.

What can't happen is for it to turn into a schwinging timber contest with folks trying to demonstrate their eligibility for the Darwin Award. I am not that concerned with this happening but unfortunately there is always a good chance for one bonehead to really hurt themselves.

So far I think peer based training with some time carved out for Field Events / Trials sounds pretty good. We need to get the F.E. chair involved for the Trials portion to happen, plus someone who knows how the 49'ers do it would be very helpful to help manage the Trials on Saturday. Come Saturday morning I will be heading for some of the spots in the photos and a few new ones too. :thumb

'zackly.

If you have never ridden your GS (whether pint size 650 or ginormous size 1200 Adv) off pavement for fear of not knowing what you are doing, or are afraid of falling down and not being able to pick your bike up again, this idea of Rob's is right up your alley. It may not be for everyone, but I can't think of a better place where everything is available (medical, helpers, friends and spectators) to help you find or build the confidence to explore some of the finer locations in the world. Travel is hundreds of miles of boredom with a nasty hill, dip, or creek crossing thrown in every once in while to test you. A MX track is nothing more (at slow speed) than somthing you may encounter 1000 miles from the nearest refreshment stand.

My goal would be to teach proper balance control, braking (removing the fear of the front brake), steering, turning, correct body position, the clutch friction zone and how to get the most of it, and anything else that can be done at less than 15mph. There actually is a time and place to jump, wheelie or hop your bike through or over something, but I would not be teaching how to complete a double jump on your street bike.

and, if you followed me you would be foolish to do so...

There is no reason for anyone to get hurt or damage anything on their bike that wouldn't/couldn't happen in a parking lot or next to your tent. In Fact it would be highly recommended to remove any unnecessary hardware at your tent/motel before showing up.

If it's dry 'knobbies' would be completely optional.

You are more likely to come away a better rider for having attended and I don't think that it needs to be limited to "ONLY" GS's - a motorcycle is a motorcycle.

Help?

You need help with a trials event, say where, when and I'll be there. I have ridden the 49er English Trials events and even won one year on my GS and have knowledge of how to do it. Hoorah. It can happen with lots of help and folks needing to learn about GS's and the "ride in dirt" thing for beginners,ectetc. All levels of riders can participate and its relatively very safe to accomplish with all the help and concerns of fellow riders. You bet, the obvious can happen and somebody get hurt and need a hospital, but I'm sure the local area can handle any emergency we may have and all the years I can remember, no injuries, beyond very minor at the 49er Rally doing this. Most of the riders participating have always been willing to risk their bodies, bikes for some fairly simple fun and riding GS's has always had this factor built in, whether riding your own backroads, trails, etcetc or competing in a mild event like this, I speak of:). Its NOT going to be a motocross event for GS's, just a trials style slow event over dirt and obstacles within reason:). I don't want broken GS's and know most are far from home, but it can happen to a bike and fixes can be handled in most scenarios, with simple falls from the bikes. IT WILL be a very fun time and I hope to particiapte in any fashion and rider too in this, as I have done in my past. BEGIN; with me and others or somebody showing up at the rally and going to work, viewing the area, setting possible courses, buying some very simple supplies for course arranging, etc. and setting a time frame for the event or events. Practice time would be cool for those wishing to play on dirt with some very restricted rules, like "no racing", jumping(within reason)meaning NO AIR! Front wheels maybe:). Play time would be restricted to general dirt areas around and inside the track and on a "Owner is Responsible" kind of sign off sheet, for his/her actions and NO excuses for recklessness and disbarred from further particiapting. The Trials Event can be set for Saturday sometime and maybe two times, depending on how many sign up and for a first National Rally event, we maybe can come up with an simple award for the top riders, beginners,etcetc. even if only a "rock", painted up fancy somehow:)...Any artists out there? I weld and could probably come up with something, rough and dirt kind of award(Maybe). I'll give some thought to it:). SO, ROB, want to meet and/or submit this to the rally gods that be and run the BIG show. Whatever you decide and need help for, I'll be so very willing to get r done and be there. THX, Randy"Polarbear" A seasoned "Derty" guy:). Happy Trails:D

Any movement on this;

Been a few days without any more data. Is it dead? I've been willing to work/volunteer at this but need the Rally support and Rob N. and others. I feel the Rally may wish for this to not happen, for reasons undiscussed here. I am clear on issues of liability, as most probably are. Will liability kill this kind of fun and if so, its a shame. I think with the GS being one of the most popular bikes BMW ever sold, it would be fitting to try an attempt at trials events at the rallies, for those willing. Even BMW has opened schools, for riding skills on the dirt, but of course thay may have deeper pockets for such activities. If we lose out to insurance woes and owners of the bikes sueing for whatever reasons of injury, it would be a loss to all. I don't know if this to be the case, but my thoughts are here anyhow. Randy13233

Been a few days without any more data. Is it dead? I've been willing to work/volunteer at this but need the Rally support and Rob N. and others. I feel the Rally may wish for this to not happen, for reasons undiscussed here. I am clear on issues of liability, as most probably are. Will liability kill this kind of fun and if so, its a shame. I think with the GS being one of the most popular bikes BMW ever sold, it would be fitting to try an attempt at trials events at the rallies, for those willing. Even BMW has opened schools, for riding skills on the dirt, but of course thay may have deeper pockets for such activities. If we lose out to insurance woes and owners of the bikes sueing for whatever reasons of injury, it would be a loss to all. I don't know if this to be the case, but my thoughts are here anyhow. Randy13233

Actually I am trying to get off my butt and get this together.

I'm looking into getting us together with the field events chair and seeing if we can't incorporate trials into the games or at least not conflict or mash toes. It all depends on what we find when we arrive but I think the best plan is to be flexible and try for training of some sort Thursday and Friday with a trials / games event on Saturday.

You are so in for helping out with the trials. Obviously we can't set up someone to fall six feet but if you have 49'er experience I am sure you know what needs to be done.

Watch for the inevitable pm.

Best,

See ya there:)

Thanks Rob, for whatever you can manage. This will be a real winner for the rally, I'm certain of it. Safe and reasonable for these bikes/riders are paramount ideals, imo for all GS riders to enjoy. Many different levels of abilities exist, of course and we all can have fun doing what these bikes were intended to do. I will try for Wednesday arrival, if this gets off the ground and gets posted. Volunteering and working at this event would be one of my best rally experiences in all my years. I also have volunteer time it at the Oil Change booth, for those in need of such, but the GS Event, I'll indeed have time for. Happy Trails, Randy13233, Polarbear:D :clap

Trying hard, guys/gals:)

This "GS Event" may well get into the Rally schedules, per Rob Nye and Me. Sounds like Rob has been into his research mode and we have a basic start at putting this together, folks:). Hoorah, for all the GS riders and folks just watching the fun, as spectators. We'll try hard to get a formadable plan of attack together and get r done, for all to enjoy. Thanks to Rob, for bringing up the m/x track in this forum and with his guidance and my assistance, we'll have a heck of a fun time. My past experience in these kind of events on dirt has been its very popular for the spectators and riders too. It will draw some attention, you bet! BMW's and dirt, make for some fun times. A learning curve indeed, riding dirt on the biggest of world class bikes, like the BMW GS's,etc. F650's too and others. Beginners should not hesitate to come along and find their newfound freedom, putting the GS class into its real world of adventure. I will make every attempt to make lesser experienced riders in dirt welcome and show them some of the ropes of dirt riding. I began at motocross racing in my mid teens for Yamaha, long ago and have ridden dirt most of my life, at 55 now. Its been such a rewarding experience, to view the scenery of the less travelled byways in my travels. The GS lineup has provided all of us willing, to a great deal of new experiences, with a little education and riding style changes. Not much, just a little dirt knowledge will get r done nicely:). Its very addictive and once hooked, its in the blood:). Rob Nye, I do not know, but have read about and has a Directorship in the MOA, I believe, Yes? He clearly has some dirt experiences too and even with the new GS800, we've all drooled over in pictures only(shame on BMW). We need it here, in N.America:). I hope to discuss further, as the rally gets closer, with Rob and get this thing set for action at our rally in Wyoming. Please, to all, be interested and give us some support as this will be a first for our National Rally(to my knowledge) and I promise some hard work on my part, getting it done:). Some helpers will be needed and probably easily found, when we arrive. Happy Traisl to all, "Polarbear" Randy Owens13233:D

Rob, what's going on with this?

Any news?

Good morning!

Yes we have some progress on the GS front.

First we have a committee of myself, Jim Hanson and Randy Owens, aka Polarbear dedicated to making 2008 the year of the GS.

Jim and the Black Hills BMW Riders have been out scouting routes and putting together maps. They will have the maps at hospitality and will post a local there for the first and last hour hospitality is open to offer tips.

On Thursday and Friday from 10-4 we are going to have the MX track open for experimentation and peer based instruction. We are still sorting this out but it will be very informal.

On Saturday morning Randy is taking the lead on setting up "MOA Trials" in and around the MX park. This will be similar to what the BMW NorCal does at their 49er rally.

Our thoughts are that if you are less than comfortable on your GS, come practice with us on Thursday and ride one of Jim's routes on Friday.

We are actively looking for people to help out. We need competitent GS riders who are game for helping out other GS riders plus we need folks to act as corner workers. We also need folks to help with the trials too.

We did get a brief blurb in the rally program and we will be sending something in to Vince for the home page. Because we haven't seen the track or know how many folks we will have to help out we are going to try to be as flexible as possible so we can make adjustments once on site. Pretty much the only thing we are not going to be able to allow is racing, or crazy suntah MX tricks.

Thanks Rob, I'm planning to be at the rally this year and will help out as much as possible while I'm there.

This may be too difficult for the average GS rider, but the bike can do it with no problem: :whistle :laugh
296478998_PdpWK-M.jpg

296479852_98HN8-M.jpg

Hoping to lend a hand...

Last edited:
Off Road Riding

I'm a new GS owner and would love to learn the limits of my bike off road. Bring on the training.:thumb

Good:)

Be there, we will be! Thanks for the help and the pictures of your trails. AND, those of you needing advice/help, asking questions will be normal, so don't hesitate to find an experienced GS Rider and latch on. I will do my best to bring anyone willing to learn, the dirt riding experience these bikes can provide. A few good tips and some practice will calm your nerves, regarding dirt riding GS's. Those of you with lots of dirt time, I want to meet with too and we can play:). Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear"....:usa

I might not agree with Russ's taste in music (was that really Satriani?), but the boy can ride. :nod :nod :nod

Back