• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Calling all GS Riders

How should we use the MX track at the rally?

• Open track time for a very small fee

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Peer instruction with open time

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • I ride a GS and am not interested in this activity

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I don't care what we do but I love the idea of using the track

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings,

Perhaps one of the best kept little known facts about the rally site is that there is a full blown MX track on the grounds. Up till now that has been by design.

Our intrepid rally chairs have made arrangements with the Powder Basin Motorcycle Club's MX course.

I am delghted to assist them in the use of the track and I would like to come up with ideas how to utilize the facility.

A few quick thoughts, comments are solicited.

There will be absolutely no racing or timing used, we can't insure this activity.
There may be professional rider training but that may would take place off the track. This training might include some exercises on the track but there would be plenty of open time for people not taking a course.

For open time there should be a very small fee of which 100% would be donated to the official rally charity. Perhaps we could do "laps for kids".

We could also do a 1/2 "track day" with some instruction and then practice time on the track. It would be peer instruction vs professional training.

So take a moment to give some feedback in the poll.

Thanks,

Do I really want to take an R1200GS wearing BattleWings onto a "full blown MX track?" Still, this a thought-provoking idea and I'm in favour of utilising the track.

I ride a GS but dont know anything about taking it in the dirt. I bought it with the intention of learning how to dirt ride. Any instruction would be a great help.

Do I really want to take an R1200GS wearing BattleWings onto a "full blown MX track?" Still, this a thought-provoking idea and I'm in favour of utilising the track.

The track is suitable for pros on 450's and 6 year olds on 50's.

For example you can run down the side along the whoops or you can go over them.

I know where the horse track is by the grandstands in the Cam Plex, but where is the mx track in relation to or IS this the mx track you're talking about?

Spectator stuff could be a great event in it's self!

I have visions of someone actually believing BMW's hype that the GS's are dirt worthy and trying to double jump one. I'm sure it would do fine, right up until it lands with a mighty THUD.

Old guys with really heavy bikes on a track. That aint gonna end well!

I ride a GS but dont know anything about taking it in the dirt. I bought it with the intention of learning how to dirt ride. Any instruction would be a great help.

a very popular event for a number of years at the Georgia Mountain Rally has been off-road riding course for beginners. our big problem was having obstacles that were increasingly difficult as students gained skills.

we've stopped doing it, mainly for that reason.

an MX track would be ideal, as long at the whole thing wasn't mud and/or sand, since people could choose what they felt comfortable tackling.

maybe we can coordinate with BMW to bring a healthy selection of the X bikes, and maybe a 450 or three, to play with? :evil

ian

I would like to take part in a begginers class. I take the roadster off the tarmack and would like to develop my skills...or develop skills.
:lurk

The track is not suitable for anything other than a GS and will be restricted.

I am hopeful that considering how far from home just about everyone will be that folks think hard before trying to clear the tabletop on their GS.

That and there will be enough controls that crazies will only get one lap.

My goal is to give people the opportunity to gain confidence with their GS's in the dirt. Ideally as many people as possible.

To bad but I understand. Thank for your effort and the response.

Will there be oportunities for observers to listen in on the instruction?

Thanks Rob!

Is this available only to the "Bring Your Own GS" crowd?

I would love to be able to take part, but do not own a GS.

Nor will I be at the rally, but wish I could be. Hope everyone has a great time!

I'd be game for a beginners off road course also..

Heck, you could probably kill two birds with one stone and run the beginners off road course and Skirt's "How to pick up your bike" course at the same time.

:whistle

Thanks Rob!

Is this available only to the "Bring Your Own GS" crowd?

I would love to be able to take part, but do not own a GS.

Nor will I be at the rally, but wish I could be. Hope everyone has a great time!

Bob,

I regret to inform that there will not be demo bikes available for this use.

In the absence of pro instruction I think some light peer-to-peer training with associated hands-on time would be really neat.

As a thought for future rallies, there is a DS rally here in Washington that offers an extra fee MSF based off-road course as one of the activities. Similar to the ERC courses that have been run in the past, I think it might hgave a pretty good attendance.

In the absence of pro instruction I think some light peer-to-peer training with associated hands-on time would be really neat.

As a thought for future rallies, there is a DS rally here in Washington that offers an extra fee MSF based off-road course as one of the activities. Similar to the ERC courses that have been run in the past, I think it might hgave a pretty good attendance.

Agreed!

The only drawback is many of the sites we use don't have the facility or close proximity to good dirt. The other is the MSF has very exact specifications for their traning range for pavement instruction. I wonder if they have similar requirements for dirt instruction.

This year we have the MX track so we are looking for ways to get the maximum benefit.

I did contact BMW about getting a few instructors from their school in Spartenburg. Of course July is their busy season too so it can't be done.
It is too bad as they were excited at the potential of giving our members a chance to get more comforatable with their bikes and a sample of their training.

Best,

Rob Nye

Most of the class I took was done on a large grass field. The instructors laid out the course using small cones. The last series of exercises were riding over 4"x6" beams and some other small obstacles. The best part of the class I took was that we had an opportunity to take a long off-road ride with our instructors after the "official" part of the class was done, applying new skills right away in the real world.

The grounds requirements for the main class aren't all that onerous, I think the post-class ride would be more difficult to arrange. Though most grounds crews hate the idea of somebody riding around on their turf so I could be wrong on that one.

I will do some more research into what exactly is needed to put on the class, if it looks something we could do at the Rally, I will put a package together for the committee to consider.

Hmmmm, I'm not even sure I'll be going, but this sounds like a very cool idea Rob.

I would be interested in giving any hands-on-training that would benefit a lesser rider and think that an MX track would be ideal for certain elements that the GS should be very adept at.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see where it goes.

Hopefully I'll be there, with not much else to do, other than ride...

ROB? Missing one thing here!!!

I've not heard a thing mentioned, other than beginners on GS's? Some of us, perhaps many, many of us already have skills to teach these courses and have the ability to ride the "BIG GS's" just about anywhere:). A dirt guy all my life, with more experience than mentioned here and I would love the opportunity to ride my GSA1200 all over that track for fun:). The "49er Rally of CA" has been doing "English Trials" at their rallies for as long as I can remember, on BIG BMW's and its a hoot, with the largest attendance at the rally. I mentioned this activity a while back, with no response from the National Rally folks and figured it to be to risky to include. I am assuming! The 49er Rally has done it for years and years, with no hitch:). Participants are competeing against one another for trophies and best dirt rider, over some tough obstacles. Beginers have a shot too, as spoke here if it gets off the ground, no pun intended. Don't dismiss the bigger GS class as something not capable of some tough riding, with the best of riders in the saddles:). Those beginers riding GS bikes will have a new perspective, watching pros and/or riders with years of dirt riding handle the big bikes through it all:). NO, I don't jump mine as a much smaller m/x bike and rider, BUT I do take it where most would quit:). Try to get this available for all to enjoy. Its a fantastic spectator event! THX.,Randy13233"Polarbear". :thumb :usa

Back