• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Iron Butt to Gillette

K1100LT

Hi: I am thinking about doing the Iron Butt ride to the rally on Wednesday, anybody know how late the gate will be open and if anyone would be available to sign my paperwork?

Thanks

I don't think you will have a problem at the gate, but someone else can provide the correct answer.

Heidi I and will be there Wed afternoon, camping for the duration, and will happy to witness your ride for you. I am sure others will be available as well.

bob still

Good luck with your plans, but please consider the weather conditions and be prepared to change plans.
I found myself riding very short days in Wyoming & SD due to oppressive heat. It just wiped me out.

765999722_5fc549b522_o.jpg

Your comment made me think...

Good luck with your plans, but please consider the weather conditions and be prepared to change plans.
I found myself riding very short days in Wyoming & SD due to oppressive heat. It just wiped me out.
765999722_5fc549b522_o.jpg

Somthing just dawned on me! The altitude!

I know that even being gone to MN for 5 years, when I rode back to the west last summer, the altitude got me..made me "wiped out" ?!? Of course my destination included Colorados Aspen and Telluride, in addition to Wyoming, but still! 1330 Meters is 4363.517 ft higher than some, and can make a person sort of goofy!

I wonder if many could benefit from an article in ON about how the high altitude, sun, and dehydration can be more severe in Wyoming and other states...

Was that maybe going on with you too?

Dale

It may just be me but when I was in the Black Hills last year the only way I knew I was at over 6000ft altitude was because the Zumo told me.

The heat - well that was another matter. I had intended camping but opted for the last hotel room in Sturgis and soaked in the cool hot tub after each day's ride - and that was at the beginning of July. It was over 110 in the parks. As I had just re-started riding after decades (the days before ATGATT), I had gear but it would definitely not be called hot weather gear.

Better equipped this year and looking forward to the sweeping vistas and curves.

Somthing just dawned on me! The altitude!

I know that even being gone to MN for 5 years, when I rode back to the west last summer, the altitude got me..made me "wiped out" ?!? Of course my destination included Colorados Aspen and Telluride, in addition to Wyoming, but still! 1330 Meters is 4363.517 ft higher than some, and can make a person sort of goofy!

I wonder if many could benefit from an article in ON about how the high altitude, sun, and dehydration can be more severe in Wyoming and other states...

Was that maybe going on with you too?

Dale

Interesting point Dale, it's hard to parse out the heat issue from the altitude issue. Being from New England riding day after day in altitude was a new experience (for me and the K75).

Heat and altitude will kick your butt if you are not ready.

Obviously step one is to stay hydrated. If you have two cups of morning coffee at home switch the second cup for a bottle of water or juice. That coffee / soda will just make you pee more and retain less. Eat less heavy stuff and have more fruit and greens.

If you don't have a camelbak get one and make sure it has the widest fill they offer; this way you can easily fill it from the ice dispenser when you get gas.

Sunblock and if your helmet takes one a tinted visor will help along with a bandanna around your neck.

When it gets super hot mesh gear hurts more than helps. I use an Aerostich Darien with all the vents open, LD comfort shorts, wicking socks and an Under Armor long sleeve shirt.

If possible find some shade for a 20 minute afternoon nap between 1 and 3pm.

I used the tips above on a K11LT (a notoriously hot bike but you know that) and a R1150GS (with big aeroflow screen) in the SW desert in August while on the IBR and while it was OMG hot I was able to press on all day.

If you are ready for extreme heat it isn't too bad. Having a plan for a shower and air conditioned place to sleep (hotel room) after the ride isn't a bad idea. If you are planning on camping at the rally I suggest you plan your SS1K timing so you arrive early in the morning so you can get set up and such before it is too hot.

I am not 100% sure we'll be there by Wednesday but if I am I would be happy to witness your arrival. Remember that your actual finish time is what is printed on the computer generated receipt, not what a witness puts on the form and for a SS1K anyone can be your witness.

I like using ATM's (just do a balance inquiry) especially drive ups if they are around. There are three banks just south of exit 126 (RT 59) one of which I am sure will have a drive up ATM. Don't assume you can use the ATM on the grounds, if you arrive late it might be inside a building that is closed or hard to find.

Have a great ride.

Hey Rob. Is a big windshield better in the heat because it stops the hot air from blowing on you?

No.

Mesh gear increases the evaporation rate of sweat.

Keeping the windscreen down helps the bike heat vent off and air blowing over the darien helps with cooling. In extreme conditions I use a cool vest.

Back