• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lorton, VA to BRP - Route suggestions please

1024JLC

My buddy is taking he and his bike on the Autotrain from Florida, and I am driving down from Delaware to meet him in Lorton, VA when the train arrives the next morning. The plan is to ride the BRP all the way down to Deal's Gap. From there he rides back to South Florida, and I ride back to Delaware. Time is a little tight so we plan on skipping Skyline Drive (we've both done that before); so my question is, can anyone give me a good route from Lorton, VA to the begining of the BRP, which avoids the Interstate as much as possible, but yet allows for a reasonably quick ride to the BRP? BTW, we would be leaving Lorton, VA around 10:00-10:30am on Tuesday, May 6th. Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions!

My buddy is taking he and his bike on the Autotrain from Florida, and I am driving down from Delaware to meet him in Lorton, VA when the train arrives the next morning. The plan is to ride the BRP all the way down to Deal's Gap. From there he rides back to South Florida, and I ride back to Delaware. Time is a little tight so we plan on skipping Skyline Drive (we've both done that before); so my question is, can anyone give me a good route from Lorton, VA to the begining of the BRP, which avoids the Interstate as much as possible, but yet allows for a reasonably quick ride to the BRP? BTW, we would be leaving Lorton, VA around 10:00-10:30am on Tuesday, May 6th. Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions!

West from Lorton until you get to US 29, which is scenic and mostly truck-free all the way down to I-64 in Charlottesville. Right at I-64, do NOT take that slab but continue just a couple of blocks to US250, which you can take West (right turn) until it ascends a high hill and intersects with the Blue Ridge Parkway at a Chevron Station. This is the very beginning of the Parkway -- go north and you're on Skyline Dr., go South and you're on the BRP.

Have a great ride!

Grew up in that area, still get thru there with some regularity.

29 is scenic, but uninteresting and traffic can be really heavy as you approach Charlottesville - lots of new construction to the north - both residential and commercial (was thru there last fall). If you want some fun riding to start your adventure, try this:

Quantico Marine Base takes up a HUGE block of land that is in your direct path to the entry of the BRP. Another route might be to take I95 south to the Garrisonville Exit (about 20 miles - not too bad, traffic wise), then take 610 west (Aquia Rd ) to 15 S to 20 (Stony Point Rd) to Charlottesville. Then either get on I64 or pick up Ivy Road west to the BRP.

P

Grew up in that area, still get thru there with some regularity.

29 is scenic, but uninteresting and traffic can be really heavy as you approach Charlottesville - lots of new construction to the north - both residential and commercial (was thru there last fall). If you want some fun riding to start your adventure, try this:

Quantico Marine Base takes up a HUGE block of land that is in your direct path to the entry of the BRP. Another route might be to take I95 south to the Garrisonville Exit (about 20 miles - not too bad, traffic wise), then take 610 west (Aquia Rd ) to 15 S to 20 (Stony Point Rd) to Charlottesville. Then either get on I64 or pick up Ivy Road west to the BRP.

P

Quantico Marine Base near the BRP??? You gotta be thinking of something else Pam, Quantico is on Rt on just south of Woodbridge down by the runny ol' Potomac. No where near 250 and the BRP entrance.

RM

Quantico Marine Base near the BRP??? You gotta be thinking of something else Pam, Quantico is on Rt on just south of Woodbridge down by the runny ol' Potomac. No where near 250 and the BRP entrance.

RM

I know. Quantico is near LORTON, where they're starting their journey. Since Lorton is for all intents and purposes an extension of NoVa traffic-wise, there's no real point trying to find a 'scenic' road in that area.

Might as well slab it south a short distance to some nicer, less travelled roads.

PAM

PS to 1024: Beware "rush hours" starts around 5am - 9:30am and then again 3pm to 7pm thru the entire DC Beltway area (I-95 system). Weekends can be "thick" any time, but seem bad Saturdays, southbound 8am to noonish and northbound on Sunday after 4pm (seems we're usually trying to get home from someplace then).

Roger on that Lionlady; I will more than likely be in the thick of it myself as I make my way to Lorton on the morning of my friends arrival via the AutoTrain. Train gets in at 09:30, and by the time they disembark and get the vehicles off I am figuring that we should be on the road by no later than 11:00. No problem with the slab for a short run to the Garrisonville exit; so thanks again for the info.

Back