• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Short Hops & Quick Trips - Ideas and Experiences?

S

screwtop

Last year was my first year with our new son, and I only put 1,200 miles on the GS all riding season. It was the first year in a long time that I did not go on what I consider to be a major trip (i.e., 700 to 900 miles one way). As I don't really like to be gone for several days at a time anymore, I think I'll start doing some shorter hops. I figure I'll stay within about a 220 mile radius from home (or about as far as I can go on a tank of gas) stay overnight someplace, and ride home the next day.

Anyone care to share some of their ideas/experiences on this kind of riding? What are your favorite places to go and/or types of things to do? Where do you like to stay? (B&Bs, hotels, camping, etc.). Do you find these kind of excursions as much fun, or do you prefer the long hauls? Other pros/cons?

Thanks!

I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 11 mos old. Only about 6 more years or so before at least one of them can get on.

I took my 10 mos old at the time (first child) to the Vermont MOA rally. Flew the wifey and child up and rode up. The rally was fun. The trip was a disaster, but that is an entirely different mess. But I would take my girls again. I too don't run off for extended periods of time. Given my work schedule, when I am off work I am with the family instead of out riding. A worthy trade I think.

Short trips are the way to go though.

My Dad lives down in Fairfax, VA. We periodically will plan a rendezvous on the bikes in MD, PA, or NY. We got rained out of our last trip. We were going to run up and play around in the catskills. There are loads of great rides down in your area. Last year we got together for the Square Root rally and tore up the roads around Thurmont. Almost got a achievement award there.

But your right...big trips are not on the short list. I mostly commute. As soon as I take delivery of my new shocks and get them installed we are looking at doing a little weekender. No time for much else.

I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 11 mos old. Only about 6 more years or so before at least one of them can get on.

I took my 10 mos old at the time (first child) to the Vermont MOA rally. Flew the wifey and child up and rode up. The rally was fun. The trip was a disaster, but that is an entirely different mess. But I would take my girls again. I too don't run off for extended periods of time. Given my work schedule, when I am off work I am with the family instead of out riding. A worthy trade I think.

Short trips are the way to go though.

My Dad lives down in Fairfax, VA. We periodically will plan a rendezvous on the bikes in MD, PA, or NY. We got rained out of our last trip. We were going to run up and play around in the catskills. There are loads of great rides down in your area. Last year we got together for the Square Root rally and tore up the roads around Thurmont. Almost got a achievement award there.

But your right...big trips are not on the short list. I mostly commute. As soon as I take delivery of my new shocks and get them installed we are looking at doing a little weekender. No time for much else.

Thanks Belquar (thought I might get skunked on this one). You've mentioned alot of good riding areas that are within the radius I specified. I'm only 30 miles from Thurmont, and have been no stranger in the past to the catskills and fingerlakes region of NY. I'm planning a brief hop up to Philly in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Chris

Well since you're in MD look at some of the trips done by the folks on BMWBMW at their forum area BMWBMW club Plenty of ideas there, folks to share the rides with and with all the history in this area, finding interesting day trips is a breeze. Also check out roadside America for interesing/unusual places. And there is also a site Virginia Historical Markers that has tons of info on markers across VA, there may be similar projects for MD and WV as well.

As for are they as much fun, hell yes, sometimes just choosing a road and seeing where it leads, then choosing another and following that and so on, can lead to some real adventures. Plenty of little motels, hotels and B&B's in our area as well. some of my best weekend trips have been completely unplanned and I've met some pretty interesting folks along the way.

Try it, you'll like it!

Oh, and come on down to Seneca Rocks WV in June (13-15) for a nice laided back weekend at the Festival of Fives, (shameless plug!)

or the square route rally in thurmont end of May.

RM

+1 on West Virginia.

There are some great roads through out the state. Seneca Rocks area is nice.

We've been going to the Stonewall near Buckhannon every fall for the past few years. Beautiful area! Or head further south to New River Gorge.

Road Runner Magazine just had a nice clover leaf trip of PA and MD out around Cumberland. PM me your email address if you would like me to scan it for you.

Tracy

Other than day trips, we do mostly single night overnight rides, as most of my riding buddies and I have teens, and they can get into more trouble than a toddler when left to their own devices.............:drink :heart :bottle :deal ............. From here in PA, we've run up to the Poconos, into NY, down to WV, and MD. WV has to be my favorite 2 day trip (one overnight). We never make reservations, never plan much of a route, just fill the tank and go. You can almost always find a hotel within walking distance to a steak house, and a hotel with a pool makes a good muscle relaxer at the end of the day.

We never make reservations, never plan much of a route, just fill the tank and go. You can almost always find a hotel within walking distance to a steak house, and a hotel with a pool makes a good muscle relaxer at the end of the day.
+1. Now, I'm considering WV myself!

Screwtop, same can be said of the Catskills. Great roads and twisties and many places to stay and eat and if you ever come up, give me a shout. There are a lot of riders in and around the "Cats".

When the children were young I woud leave at 6AM and be back by 10AM on many sat mornings. On occassion I would make it a wkend ride.never had a problem with my SO :heart as the ride generally was shorter than a game of golf. Significant amount of mileage can be done this way..

I have teens, and they can get into more trouble than a toddler when left to their own devices.............:drink :heart :bottle :deal ............. .

Surely you jest! Teens engaging in such disreputable behavior while Mom and Dad are away?? I must have been a late bloomer.

Anyway, thank you all for the comments and I'll keep all these ideas in mind this riding season! :thumb

+ 2 on WV. Here is a place that I like to go to every now and again. Babcock State Park (near Hinton, WV and New River Gourge Bridge). The photo is of the Glade Creek Grist Mill, located right in the park. There are cabins available, but the book up pretty far in advance. Took this photo in late September.

Attachments

• Grist-Milla1.jpg
    Grist-Milla1.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 60
+ 2 on WV. Here is a place that I like to go to every now and again. Babcock State Park (near Hinton, WV and New River Gourge Bridge). The photo is of the Glade Creek Grist Mill, located right in the park. There are cabins available, but the book up pretty far in advance. Took this photo in late September.

That is a stunning photo:bow But I'm sure you know that, right now in your life, the place where you want to be, is walking down the hall towards the kid's nursery so you can open the door and watch the three toothed, drooling, mini-you rattle the sides of his crib like an inmate at Folsom on movie night when he knows your home. Enjoy your toddler, it doesn't last long.

Back