• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Special Events Planned for Men?

amiles

In my March 2008 BMWON on page 102 in the section " 2008 BMW MOA Rally FAQ, a question as to whether there will be any special events planned for women?

The answer states " There will be something special for women with respect to the seminar presentations but we would like to hear from women riders as to what they would like to be able to see at the rally. Hospitality will have a list of interesting options for the ladies".

I am moved to ask if there will be anything special for men with respect to the seminar presentations?

Would anyone like to hear from men riders as to what they would like to be able to see at the rally?

Will "Hospitality" have a list of interesting options for the men?

My own unofficial observation suggests that there are a goodly number of men that attend these rallies. It seems wrong not to give the same consideration to men as to women.

Most seminars seem not to be gender specific (Travel, Camping, vehicle operation and maintenance etc). Perhaps it is time that some consideration of mens issues such as health (I wonder about prostrate health vs extended hours in the saddle for example) and aging concerns relating to safe motorcycling (the demographic is claimed to be older) would be fair and proper.

I suppose that there are some that feel that the Rally itself is a "special event" for men as is. I disagree, the male demographic should be given the same consideration as the female when it comes to "special Events"

Agreed!

Personally, I have a lot more in common with the group called "rider" than I do with the group called "women".

Voni
sMiling

Good:)

I like that, Voni! I like the first one too and find that our rallies always have room to expand the horizon to new ideas, seminars, whatever attracts people:). Men vs. women? I don't know, it seems there is room for it all, right! Of course we have differences, but travel together mostly and need to know of each others concerns. Its a good thing:). I think the health idea is a good one to tackle and some doctor type, health care proffesional of any type would be very welcome to all of us, men and women. I just found Accupuncture in my life recently at 55 and its wonderful:). The Prostate thing is a good one and I never much considered it, riding all these miles I have. Mine is still healthy, to my knowledge, but a good topic. Happy Trails to all, Randy#13233:clap :D

Top ten Mens only rally events

#10. How to recognize that nose hair is a problem

#9. Getting used to identification of MC road hazards with transition bi focals

#8 How to avoid dressing like your father did 40 yrs ago.

#7. Refresher course on the difference between "getting friendly" and "getting friendly" with the opposite sex.

#6 Prostrate issues and vibrations while riding

#5 "Hearing aids and you" informational discussions

#4 How to live at least to retirement

#3 Knowing when to say when when accused of being grouchy

#2 "Zip up coveralls and you" Everything you ever wanted to know seminar

#1 Snoring do's and don’ts How to find the spare bedroom in the dark.

#7. Refresher course on the difference between "getting friendly" and "getting friendly" with the opposite sex.

#1 Snoring do's and donÔÇÖts How to find the spare bedroom in the dark.

You're right again! None of those are aimed at me.

Except maybe number 9.

Voni
sMiling

Will "Hospitality" have a list of interesting options for the men?
Ya mean like a "turn your head and cough" event, for "health screening purposes," of course?
ymca.gif

(Note: I do NOT plan to attend.)

Ya mean like a "turn your head and cough" event, for "health screening purposes," of course?
ymca.gif

(Note: I do NOT plan to attend.)

naw, i think he means sit out in a field naked, beating a drum.

or, a wile e. coyote initiation.

:ha

ian

Oh come on, there are seminars needed just for women. :p

1. Mastering side of the road bathroom breaks with your one piece Roadcrafter.
2. So you've run out of hair scrunchys? 101 hairstyles you can do with wire ties.
3. Avoid that next performance award: pulling the chick card.
4. One size does not fit all, finding gear to fit.
5. Anger management: don't slug the next jerk who asks if your bike is too big.

6. And don't slug him even when he asks if you rode that big bike all by yourself!

Voni
sMiling

Like it or not, women have very unique issues and concerns and sometimes it helps to share those with others in the same situation. Seminars that are geared towards women do not exclude menfolk. However, the issues addressed at those seminars are likely to inform and reassure the more timid riders.

We are fortunate to have women among us like Helen, Voni, Gail, Karol, & Rebecca who are confident in their riding abilities & their motorcycles. But you have to agree that they are a small percentage in all of the women who ride. And if you factor in that women riders are a small percentage of all riders, then the percentages are very small indeed.

I can't tell you how wonderful it was for me, the first time I saw Skert pick up her motorcycle. When I started riding, that was one of my biggest fears --- WHAT to do when I tip the bike over.

Another consideration are the wives and passengers of the motorcycle enthusiast. There have been seminars at previous rallies geared towards their interests, which have included fashion shows and sharing ideas.

If offering seminars can help bring more confidence to other riders, then I say
--> Go For It!

If offering seminars to non-riders at the rally so they can develop friendships and ultimately enjoy their experience more, then --> Why Not?

I am moved to ask if there will be anything special for men <<<
Yep....it's called the beer tent:bottle (Just kidding. )

Seriously, women riders seem to have enjoyed the "Women Who Ride" seminars. (Men are always invited and definitely welcome)
Not all the women riders have logged the miles that Voni has, nor have the confidence to ride alone that Gail has. I think if you've attended any of Skert's seminars you will have heard her say that networking with other women riders has helped her, and she has a great seminar that helps develop a riders' (men and women alike.)

We have had guys ask...."My wife won't come because there's nothing of interest to her." Like it or not, most passenger are still women:stick.

All members are welcome to suggest seminars they would like to attend, and the seminar chairs are always open to suggestions.

Sue's correct about the percentage of women riders still being small. Not all women have the great support group that riders like Voni, Gail, and others are fortunate to have. )that's what's great about our little community)
Many of the male riders have been riding for so long, they've forgotten what it's like to be a newer rider, and have difficulty empathizing. Many women are entering the community later in life, and appreciate feed-back from the more experienced riders, (men and women). When I was teaching the MSF courses, it was amazing the number of women that commented...."If you can do it, so can I". Women riders in the class were occasionally intimadated by the male instructors.
Gail, Voni, Sue and many of the other female riders on the forum may not have an interest in a seminar for women, but they definitely have a lot to offer to the riders in our community.

Oh come on, there are seminars needed just for women. :p

3. Avoid that next performance award: pulling the chick card.

Last season I got to use the "Mom" card. Tony & I got pulled over (I was in the lead without a detector). He told the cop (officer) he couldn't yell at me cuz I was his mom.

The officer told me I was setting a bad example, and told Tony to lead

Well said by both Sue Rihn-Manke and Karol Patzer. I'm rather surprised that, forty years after the Second Wave of feminism rolled over the beach, these things still have to be said. It seems to me that the MOA has many more strong and competent women riders than most m.c. orgs., but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they are still a very small minority. I, for one, welcome every effort to bring more women into our sport and help them get the tools and the confidence to participate fully.

Last edited:
I suppose that there are some that feel that the Rally itself is a "special event" for men as is. I disagree, the male demographic should be given the same consideration as the female when it comes to "special Events"

:snore

it seems that several of the respondents have interpreted my initial post as objecting to the list of activities set aside for women. If you read my initial post you will see that I said nothing of the kind.

I was questioning why similar arrangements are not made for the men attendees.

As I kind of expected, the Beer tent and hernia exams were pointed out as being activities that are/should be provided to satisfy the special interests for men.

K75 Karol says "All members are welcome to suggest seminars they would like to attend, and the seminar chairs are always open to suggestions."

My initial post is just that, a suggestion for seminars. " the seminar chairs are always open for suggestions."

Older mens health and riding safety issues seem worthwhile to me, unlike the list of concerns by Mr Redclifco which were apparently posted to ridicule me:

#1 Snoring do's and donÔÇÖts How to find the spare bedroom in the dark.

uh oh I think I'm I'm in trouble...

Please accept my apology, amiles, I was only poking fun..I meant no true offense, IN FACT I think the whole idea of the Rally is everyone have fun, and if classes jsut addressing some specific issues is what a group wants, I support you/the group 100%; I meant no ridicule, just joking around, and will attempt to hold it down in campfire from here on out. Truly sorry for hijacking your post.

Mr. Redclfco

Thank you, Sue and Karol! Your comments were well stated.

Although I enjoy riding and have never been in a situation I can't handle, I still get the "what ifs" when I'm out alone. I know I am not the only female rider to feel this way. I caught some flack about our women-only weekend trip that's coming up and again I say, this is not about excluding men, it's about overcoming insecurities, and fears to create more independent women.

I think the area I live in plays a big part in my skills, confidence, and insecurities. The traffic and congestion combined with the attitude of every driver for themselves makes it a dangerous way to travel. Someday I hope to have Voni's , Sue's and Gail's confidence but it won't come overnight.

Back