• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's late March in Seattle

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
We're supposed to be done with this stuff!

The weather forecasters blew another forecast today. This meant the two wheeled vehicle came home from work early today.

Attachments

• 20080328-001.jpg
    20080328-001.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 116
At least I'm home safe. The wife called to say it had just started sticking on our street, so I'd better think about leaving work early. So at 1:00 PM I closed up my office and headed home north out of a downtown Seattle, where it was snowing but not sticking to the streets. About five miles north of downtown (near Northgate) I noticed that it was sticking to the vegetation along I-5. The roads were soaking wet but no slush yet. The side roads were fine for about the first mile and a half, but I noticed slush starting to accumulate in the shady spots for the last mile and a half from the freeway. You can see patches of slush in our street. The gear all worked perfectly, except for my windscreen. My Pinlock-equipped visor stayed fog free while I wiped the slush from my the outside of my visor with the squeegee built into my glove. That got old after a while since I use handlebar covers and getting the hand back onto the grip to control the bike isn't always guaranteed on the first try. Considering everyone else had the same idea I did about leaving early, traffic was heavier than usual for early afternoon. The frequent clutch use of maneuvering first up steep downtown streets and then a traffic-laden I-5 Express Lanes and then I-5 itself to Snohomish County required that I keep my left hand on the bar more than usual. Other than that I was comfortable. Handlebar covers combined with warm gloves and heated grips made my hands as comfortable as could be. The 'Stich with my 400 wt. fleece kept me plenty warm - no electric clothing required. All in all, a slightly more interesting commute home than an average day.

Attachments

• 20080328-003.jpg
    20080328-003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
March in Seattle

It's been a weird week for weather: Rotterdam got snowed on on Tuesday, and yesterday it was the Island Highway on Vancouver Island.

Rinty

from North Idaho

Woke up this morning with 7 inches of fresh snow, and still snowing! This is Spring?!?!?!?!:banghead

I leave for work when its dark out, and so yesterday I head out and I see that my trusty little Rebel is covered in white stuff. Its 27F and snowing hard. Oh well, hop on the bike and head to work. Kinda fun riding into snow, the pavement didn't feel too sloppy, and since the ground isn't frozen anymore, I wasn't too worried about it sticking. (Or so I thought.....)

I get up this morning, and though it isn't snowing out, its about 26F. I had covered the leather seat on the bike cause it was snowing lightly when I got home the night before. Headed up the driveway and onto the road, oooohhhh lookie!!! The pavement is all sparkley!!! Frost and ice everywhere. Kept it slow and made it in just fine. The highway (US 2) was fine, but the shoulders were all iced up. Cagers were looking at me like I was some sort of idjit..... yup. :)

Back