• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another Arkansas ride

The_Veg

D'OH!
So right after ChiTown's great write-up of riding in northwestern Arkansas, I was at my local club's monthly meeting and a fellow member asked me if I'd like to join him and another member on a ride to the same area (pure coincidence). I said maybe, and after checking my schedule and budget I agreed to join the ride.
We set out from Dallas at 0600 on Friday and got home at 2030 on Saturday, spending most waking moments in the saddle. We rode the same area as ChiTown, but we kept it on-pavement and therefore saw different places. The snow was gone, but that small jagged limestone gravel that gets spread over ice was still present in some of the turns. The hard rains that ravaged the region a few days earlier had swollen the rivers and flooded lots of areas, but thankfully not the roads.
It was great exploring some of the really insane Ozark twisties, and I only had two wildlife-scares (a BIG but adolescent-looking deer mid-day on Friday, and a pack of turkeys on Saturday). I also took lots of metal-notes for future visits.
I also rode faster and better than ever before, thanks to a great group-dynamic and a ride leader experienced with the region. I even scraped a peg on the GS, which due to the extreme lean-angle and the fact that gravity was pulling me way too hard through a downhill hairpin, was a scary moment.
I didn't take too many pictures of the roads as we just plain didn't stop much, not that very many places would be safe to stop for a picture for the usual rural-twisties reasons.

But here are a few pics from the trip:

Lunch stop at Ozark, at a comfy pub-restaurant
270186156_tKfte-M.jpg

The obligatory food-shot
270186157_EE6Sy-M.jpg

Navigational discussion
270187051_43pos-M.jpg

Low-water crossing that despite the temptation, I did NOT attempt. Water was about 6-8" deep and MOVING FAST.
270188624_ftFKs-M.jpg

One-lane bridge with hikers
270189153_7nG5F-M.jpg

Flooding river
270189506_5rECY-M.jpg

Road-shot that does *NO* justice to many of the roads we travelled
270190046_wWtF5-M.jpg

Says it all
270190689_9GsXC-M.jpg

Fireside moment with El Chupacabra
270190966_G33GC-M.jpg

We stayed at this B&B run by old hippies
270191585_DZRtn-M.jpg

After a couple of glasses of wine, figuring out where to ride tomorrow
270192703_SVyAQ-M.jpg

Obscure model from the Motor Company, spotted at an inn we passed
270193534_mW2uu-M.jpg

The view from Mount magazine, the highest place in Arkansas (although this view is from the park lodge, slightly below the true high-point)
270194466_TZQcz-M.jpg

Whatever it was, it was cheap
270195073_nu7th-M.jpg

Stopping to shed layers at Washita
270195089_6ypzV-M.jpg

We rode the Talimena Scenic Drive on the way home. This is at the Panoramic Vista, which has a near-360 view of surrounding valleys. The R100S belongs to a good friend of mine who lives just off the drive and joined us for a little while.
270195253_NJdQw-M.jpg

Almost home
270185566_gPTsv-M.jpg

The entire gallery may be viewed here.

Last edited:
We're allways glad to share the the great riding area's of the Ouchita's Mountains and Ozark Hills with our extended BMW family. Our rally, the Natural State Rally, May16-18, just out side of Morriilton, Ar. is a good base of operations for doing some of this great riding. More info in When and Where. Y'll come back Ya'here. :thumb :dance

Good report with interesting pictures.

Food shot should be relabeled: Hear attack on a plate. :brad

Excellent Veg. Have ridden from the Big D (rentals) to the Ozarks many times on business and enjoy the area immensely, including the Talimena. Nice to see familiar places.

What a great ride report! I feel that I was along (Arkansas is one of the 50 I haven't set foot in). This is a great shot! Glad you and your buddies had such a good time.

Food shot should be relabeled: Hear attack on a plate. :brad

There is absolutely no link between eating red meat and hearing loss. :whistle

270193534_mW2uu-M.jpg

How would a person get any rest with that loud thing out side your room ?
Much less how would they clean rooms on rainy days ?
Was its trailer parked out back ?

Did I cover all the stereotypes :dunno

Back